1 2 3 4
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/29/21 2:54 p.m.

We're seeing crazy price increases and lead-times our industry isn't used to.  When we getting more chips and Hot Wheels?

The hose people quoted me 21 weeks to make an industrial style hose.   Another said expect 26 weeks as the norm.  These are basic hoses that used to be 4-6 weeks. 

The flange and pipe fitting people are taking a long time too.

Not wanting to be political here anything shocking you at work lately?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/21 2:56 p.m.

Yep, we have had a terrible time getting aerosols for the past year because of shortages on cans to fill. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/21 2:58 p.m.

Our Accord needed an alternator this week and Honda says they are all back ordered. The Honda dealer actually drove to a parts store and got an aftermarket unit. 

We would have traded this car in a few months ago but the Honda dealers have zero new cars in stock. I don't know why Honda is offering finance deals when they have no cars to sell. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/29/21 2:59 p.m.

Yes. It's a real problem. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
7/29/21 3:01 p.m.

We have had trucks down multiple weeks for sensors, egr coolers, ect... The one sensor the leasing company claimed they had 60+ trucks waiting on one.  It's amazing in modern trucking how the emissions control devices can bring a fleet to a halt. 

My last order of ice merchandisers will be here "soon." We ordered the trailer load in March. Can't even begin to attempt to take on new customers this year.  They have struggled a lot with insulation materials. Parts to fix the existing equipment has been in short supply. Potential customers are "shocked" that I don't have equipment available.

Labor supply is terrible, even paying competitively and having temporary agencies looking for people we struggle to get the ones we need. I'm used to ordering new people for tomorrow and now I'm 5-10 days out for general labor. 

Edit: I think shortages make customer service very hard because there are so many factors in getting an accurate estimation. Many people have unrealistic expectations to what can actually be accomplished. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
7/29/21 3:08 p.m.

Parts at home too! 

• Just got a clothes washer last week.  12-16 week lead-time.  Took 16 weeks to the day!
  • Ordered a whole house generator.  First look on website, ships in 1-2 days.  Looked the next day, ships August 3rd.  The next day it was September.  By the time I confirmed the configuration with my electrician and placed the order 8-12 weeks!
  • And at work, no lead-time on parts to repair A/C!  I hate sweating at my desk!
trucke
trucke SuperDork
7/29/21 3:12 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Our Accord needed an alternator this week and Honda says they are all back ordered. The Honda dealer actually drove to a parts store and got an aftermarket unit. 

We would have traded this car in a few months ago but the Honda dealers have zero new cars in stock. I don't know why Honda is offering finance deals when they have no cars to sell. 

Talked to a local Honda salesman yesterday.  I was at the dealer buying some parts and there was almost nothing on the lot.  He said 8 HR-V's inbound, 5 have deposits.  12 Odyssey's inbound, 6 have deposits.  It's nuts!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/21 3:15 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

I ordered a generator in September(?) and it arrived in February. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
7/29/21 3:16 p.m.

Need a new roof on my house, several roofer salespeople who have come to look at the job have told me 3 months or more for shingles.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/29/21 3:29 p.m.

Even ignoring lumber and plywood, construction materials are insane right now.

I have a small 20,000 sq ft reroof going at a local high school on the East Coast.  That's normally the kind of job that is swatted out by the bunch over 6-week summer break.  We bid them in April so the contractors can get scheduled, get materials delivered, and by ready to go in mid-June.  Rock and roll, done by the end of July.

Not this year.  To get enough insulation, the contractor had to order from 5 separate sources, including distributors as far away South Dakota.  For 20,000 sq ft of roof, which is nothing in commercial roofing terms.  He's been on site since the end of June and a third of his materials are just getting here now - stuff that was ordered in mid May.

He's ordered drains from 3 different sources, hoping one set will get here on time.  Same with metal trim.

We have another larger roof replacement for the same school district, bid at the same time, supposed to be started in June - materials won't ship until October.

Standard residential windows are a 3-month lead time right now.  Shingles can only be found in the most basic of colors, if at all.

Big mechanical equipment is all at least double, if not triple, the usual lead times.

Construction fasteners and adhesives are unobtanium.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/29/21 3:33 p.m.

Yep, electronics have really been tough, but we've usually managed to keep existing products in production. Spinning up new ones has been harder, though.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/29/21 3:42 p.m.

Same in the plastics industry.  From storage silos that were typically 14-16 weeks were now at 28-32 weeks due to steel shortages.   Electrical components  have driven lead times from 2-3 weeks to 6-10 weeks.   On top of that ocean freight has doubled and then some since last year this time.  Fun fun fun!

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/29/21 3:47 p.m.

We've had two legally mandated buy-backs because we couldn't get parts to fix the cars in under 30 days. 
Auxillary batteries on certain hybrid models have had customers in rentals for almost two months. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/29/21 3:53 p.m.

iT'S bad everywhere. Bobcat/Doosan halted dealer orders for unit inventory in Feb.... for the rest of the year. They already had more orders than they thought they could fill. Dealers had been scrambling since the previous July. Parts were a minimum of 3 weeks on the average. 

GM is like everywhere else, so much back ordered. Lots of parts getting early phase out. Vehicles are sparse. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/29/21 4:04 p.m.

Giving a a full one hour talk on supply chain disruptions in the Biotech space in a few weeks. The hoarder that I am kept us safe but we don;t want it to happen again. Plastic pellets and rubber are getting short on the ground as well. 52 week lead time on compressor motors. Stuff being scalped on eBay. Its the wild west right now on some things. 

Evergreen did not help as well.                                                                          

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/29/21 4:36 p.m.

We are building what we can with the parts we have and can get. Lots of material substitutions are taking place to keep things moving. I am right now 3d-printing a part for production, which I can produce 1/hr. of, and which has a demand of 2300/month. So it'll be a case of some is better than none.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/29/21 5:55 p.m.

There does not appear to be any big issues in my company ( I am not in that area ), but they have been running full bore for the entire "time".  I suspect they locked in supply lines while other places where shut down or very slow.  We do direct, so no middle men involved, but most all is imports.

I'm in the bicycle industry and we've been dealing with shortages and delays for the past 16 months with no end in sight. Demand remains through the roof and supply is massively constrained. Stuff we are ordering now is often looking like early (or in some cases) mid-2022! 
Our typical 1-3 week lead times are now measured in months to a year or so!

It used to be that at any given moment, we'd have a few dozen open purchase orders with our wholesale suppliers and maybe a dozen or so specific pre-orders with our retail customers, and 98% of customers shopping/browsing in-store without a pre-order. Now at any given moment we will have several hundred open purchase orders with our wholesale suppliers, at least 150, if not more like 300 pre-orders with retail customers, and 95% or more of our business is pre-orders of leave a deposit now to get in line, and we'll call you someday in the future, or offer all your money back. It isn't realistic for customers to shop or browse, because we have almost no inventory. A couple years ago at this time, we had over a thousand bikes in stock, with most of them assembled and ready to go same-day. Now we have maybe 100 bikes in stock, with 8-9 of them assembled and ready to go, and 2000+ bikes on order. A very difficult selling/buying process, but the best we can do in the circumstances is to consult, advise, talk about the incoming options, and thank customers for their patience.

We have customers dropping bikes off for repair, and the parts we need to fix it aren't in stock, can't be back ordered, and won't be back in stock for months! Our buyer is swamped with trying to find alternate sources, and keeping an eye out on our suppliers for available inventory for us to buy. We've had to get creative with parts sourcing for sure. We've also had to expand our range of repair/adjust as best as possible, rather than replacement.

It is a crazy time, and has been the biggest challenge of my career. This is a huge stress test for many businesses, and sadly some businesses may not make it. It tests our flexibility, our resilience, and our creativity. Hope all of you GRMers out there who require some sort of supplies for your work can find some ways to get by until things improve!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/30/21 7:30 a.m.

I'm making E36 M3 for hours at my work (GM dealer) because I spend 2-3 hours diagnosing something, and then the parts are all backordered and I have to shove it outside and wait weeks for parts to arrive.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/30/21 7:31 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yep. If you want a replacement Magnaride shock well.... you're not. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/30/21 7:39 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Magneride shocks? Hah. I have a 2021 duallie with a leaky front valve stem. The valve stems are a unique design for the wheel. Backordered. So I've had a customer driving around for a month now, having to add air to the tire every other day because the valve stem is unobtainable.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/30/21 8:31 a.m.

I just opened a new shop end of June and the robin-air didn't work properly, it trips the breaker on recharge. The supplier can't get me a replacement until..... November 2022

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/30/21 9:12 a.m.

Try working healthcare...

Last place couldn't keep supplies to save their life... Biggest issue was they refused to search out other potential purchasing options and remained steadfast in keeping with their current suppliers... It's not fun playing with peoples lives for saving a buck....

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 9:46 a.m.

My new chair is on the service drive at a Honda dealership.

We are getting  4-5 cars per week. We have resorted to selling forestry trucks from Missouri in basic stripper white because that's what's left at the auction!

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
7/30/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

So far my stuff, IT and AV has been alright. I have been cautioned multiple times, but no issues. On the other side, the construction team is having issues. RTUs that were 6-8 weeks are now 16-18 weeks away. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xKbIUrtHdXCFsVXrva3nGGcgt8WQ8HynruK0UBYzaj1XqZHm1OtzuJaKXAV1OZa8