SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/14 9:23 a.m.

I currently find myself needing to steam clean the interiors of multiple vehicles. All I can find locally to rent are the bulky (worthless for a vehicle) Rug Doctor units, and to have my detail guy do it to all three would exceed the cost of just buying a steam cleaner. Ergo, I am looking to buy a steam cleaner for the purpose of doing car interiors, and maybe some occasional spot cleaning around the house or whatever.

Has anyone else made this purchase? Anything I should and shouldn't look for in one of these units? Amazon seems to think that this guy would do the job...$90 new. Can I do better? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZBIRDQ

wae
wae Reader
4/6/14 10:09 a.m.

I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZBIPGU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Bissell DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner) mainly to do the car interiors. I disguised it as a Christmas present for my wife, since she likes (?) to rent the Rug Doctor four or five times a year to do the various carpets and couches in the house. This particular thing has done a great job on the carpets and furniture and gotten all sorts of stains out that the Rug Doctor couldn't touch. It also comes with all the hand attachments for use in the car.

I have not, however, had a chance to use it on the cars since the weather hasn't been cooperating with my free time. I would point out, though, that you only asked if anyone BOUGHT a cleaner to do car interiors, not if anyone had actually USED what they bought... ;)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
4/6/14 10:31 a.m.

I too have a Bissell. They have some great attachments for car interiors. I have one with a rotating brush and that helps a lot with the carpets.

If I had anything to complain about is that I wish the hose was a little longer for my Durango.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/6/14 11:22 a.m.

I have owned a Bissel Little Green Machine for years.

Mine is a basic unit but that is fine for me. They now make heated units and more scrubby units too.
As a dog owner, my Little Green is loaded with fresh pure water, no soap, at all times. With a nano-seconds notice it can be pulled from the closet to work an on accident, spot, spill that may happen at the house. My method is dilute, extract, dilute, extract. I get great results. If cleaner/soap is needed, I add that directly on top of the spot, not into the water.

I have done many car interiors with Little Green with great results. The last over this past summer. My compete arsenal was the Little Green, clean water, Tuff Stuff and scrub brush like you might clean a tub with. Lots and lots of clean water for extraction. Scrub Tuff Stuff in and then lots of rinsing/extracting with clean water.

Tuff Stuff was recommended by a junkyard for seat cleaning. I was amazed with its ability. Available at most automotive depts of most stores as well as Walmart. Like $3 per car. One and a half cans for a real big job.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
4/7/14 12:30 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I have a different unit, but agree with your post.. I am a landlord and have all kinds of "Surprises" to deal with..

I never fill the cleaner reservoir with cleaner, just water.

If you do, the cleaner is vacuumed up almost right away. Which doesn't give it much time to clean the stain..

I fill a spray bottle with the cleaner, spray it and let it sit for awhile and if needed scrub it. Then vac it up..

Also, in a pinch. You can use a wet dry vac to do the same thing. Spray the cleaner with a spray bottle, let it sit for awhile. Then vacuum up with a wet dry vac.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/14 12:45 a.m.

I just get the one from the grocery store and use the furniture attachment. You guys must do a lot of cleaning.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/7/14 12:51 a.m.

I've used the grocery store rentals too but for the right unit and price I'd prolly just buy one.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
4/7/14 7:31 a.m.

In reply to wae:

You got a carpet cleaner as a Christmas present to your wife? Wow, I am thoroughly impressed that you are still alive

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
4/7/14 8:12 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: I just get the one from the grocery store and use the furniture attachment. You guys must do a lot of cleaning.

My wife has asthma, so yes.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
4/7/14 8:19 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: I just get the one from the grocery store and use the furniture attachment. You guys must do a lot of cleaning.

I did that once, and the carpet came out smelling like cat pee. Hence the once.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/7/14 8:27 a.m.

Harbor freight has a muccoluch (sp?) unit I have been considering. Was cheaper, but because Harbor Freight.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/14 7:07 p.m.

I love steam cleaners for under the hood and cleaning mesh wheels on cars too. Handy little things.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
4/7/14 9:05 p.m.

"Steam cleaners" are nothing but a shop vac that sprays a bit of water

if you are going that way follow what drsmooth said... spray the cleaner and let it work for a bit before flushing it out with the "steam cleaner"

I know someone here (was it angryP or whatever he goes by now) revived an old miata inteior by pulling out the seats and carpets and spraying them down with a pressure washer, if I recall correctly it took a few times on the seats (super nasty) but they came out looking great.. he may have used a shop vac to pull the water out but its been a few years so I don't recall.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
4/7/14 9:08 p.m.

on a side note and talking of real steam cleaners... vapor steam cleaners are supposed to do some awesome work at breaking down oils and stains

beans
beans Dork
4/8/14 7:51 a.m.

Vapor steam cleaners kick ass in kitchens. You wouldnt believe the before and after from the high end kitchens I've cleaned and spiffed up with just a vapor steam cleaner and some rags. They're incredible little tools.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/14 8:40 a.m.
donalson wrote: "Steam cleaners" are nothing but a shop vac that sprays a bit of water if you are going that way follow what drsmooth said... spray the cleaner and let it work for a bit before flushing it out with the "steam cleaner" I know someone here (was it angryP or whatever he goes by now) revived an old miata inteior by pulling out the seats and carpets and spraying them down with a pressure washer, if I recall correctly it took a few times on the seats (super nasty) but they came out looking great.. he may have used a shop vac to pull the water out but its been a few years so I don't recall.

I did it to my E30: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-ugly-e30/50113/page3/

IMO, it's a big PITA, and should only be done if the carpet is super-nasty. Mine was.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
5/27/14 4:40 a.m.

wow, nice canoe in a zombie thread...

-J0N

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
5/27/14 6:17 a.m.

good user name too, creepy pic thou

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
5/27/14 6:45 a.m.

I was just gonna do a search for this thread today, what a coincidence. Thanks canoe.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
5/27/14 7:38 p.m.

this one, you also need a deoderizer to dump into the tank I prefer some sort of orange extract cleaner. It works as a cleaner and deoderizer also. http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC1375-Canister-Steam-System/dp/B00G00BT72/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1401237372&sr=1-14&keywords=auto+steam+cleaner

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sWQxjgP1yaixQ7aHaVBaqgoweUJGtop4ZaN8tfS28RGq0lNUaCU64fqzvk7VDyOM