Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/3/21 8:42 p.m.

I've got a basement with a Radon problem.  4.0 pci/L is the minimum the EPA wants to see, with 2.7 preferably.  Mine is at 11.

The 2 story house was built in 1988. The floor of the basement is in fantastic condition. There is a lot of water flowing through our sump pump. We have the only basement on the block. 

The pit isn't sealed. When I did the short term test, there was a lot of rain. I am going to seal the pit and preform perform another short term test. See if the results change.

If it's still a bad number, I'll gave to look into a mitigation system. I likely do it myself. I'm hoping the house has an internal drain tile, so I could tap into that. If not, I'm looking at creating a hole to make a mitigation pit. 

If I have to make a pit, will the high water table be a problem? Like will it just fill up with water? I'm likely to have to have an external, or partially external pipe. I'm not running a pipe through the house. No good path to take. I will bring it back into the house, into the attic, wire up the fan, and vent it as close to the peak as possible. 

Are there fans that can handle the probable condensation from running out and back in?

I want to do as much as I can before I call in a professional. 

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/21 9:04 p.m.

There was a radon thread here a couple of years ago - that might be a starting point.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/radon-halp/161570/page1/

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/3/21 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Turboeric :

Got some.e very good answers in that thread. Thanks.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/3/21 9:18 p.m.

No, but I fought the law, and I won.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/3/21 9:30 p.m.

I guess I should have updated that other thread...

Basically, seal everything you can.

Then, if that isn't enough, you may need to install another system on the opposite side to get it all out of the house. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/4/21 12:37 p.m.

Or, add spiders, let them get radioactive and then have them bite you.

You never know...

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/4/21 12:48 p.m.

Hopefully Mke checks in.  He dealt with radon in his FrankenFerrari thread.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/frankenferrari-v12-ferrari-308/148959/page51/

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/4/21 3:27 p.m.

Seal the sump pump pit, put in the air sucker pump, and caulk everywhere that you can around the perimeter where the floor slab meets the walls.  Been in your spot twice now, and that combination worked like a champ both times.  Readings after in both case < 2.0.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/21 4:28 p.m.

I've never made it to the final boss, I've always got hung up on level 8.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/21 7:38 p.m.

I'm hoping between the Radon,  and the COVID vaccine, I get mutant powers. I want laser eyes, dammit.

bmw88rider (Supportive Dude)
bmw88rider (Supportive Dude) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/21 9:10 p.m.

Air sucker system at that levels. If you were close to the 4.0 then some sealing would probably work. I have one installed on my CO house. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/21 9:38 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm hoping between the Radon,  and the COVID vaccine, I get mutant powers. I want laser eyes, dammit.

My 5 year old has some asthma issues.  We didn't know we had a radon problem for the first 3 years of her life.....  until we tried to sell the house.

Apparently, radon causes breathing issues...  also found that out after the fact while researching radon issues.

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
4/4/21 9:40 p.m.

I was at ~10 pic/L in a ranch with a half basement/half crawlspace.  Had to fully encapsulate and seal the crawlspace with 20 mil Vaporblock Plus, seal all cracks in concrete slab, as well as add a depressurization system in the concrete slab and the crawlspace encapsulation to get <2. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IqkfsIbODO8nqBR6ptl9HSEt3k97ih7sF5DLZswDFEfYdBgjoOiCvY17ZjDTiM4l