1 2
wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/31/08 12:58 p.m.

I do and apparently hundreds and possibly thousands of others have had their zune freeze last night at about midnight anyone else on here have one experience the same thing?

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/31/08 1:51 p.m.

I actually only know one person with a Zune. Perhaps I would have bought one if I had not had the iPod already. Does it work still, or is it still frozen?

Y2.008k bug?

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/31/08 1:56 p.m.

yeah it's still frozen I didn't buy it, though I like it a lot actually, I traded an old laptop for it and an ipod nano and a nav for the car (didn't use the laptop, I use all 3 devices I got) anyway Microsoft is "working on a fix" we'll see. they are calling it z2k9 lol cause it happened at midnight new years eve. Hopefully they say hey go get your self a free 120gb zune for free

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/31/08 1:58 p.m.

Rapidly searches Craigslist for recent attempts to sell broken Zunes

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/31/08 2:01 p.m.

yeah on the zune site it's about 400pph (posts per hour) I patent that saying btw lol.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
12/31/08 2:02 p.m.

It's made my Microsoft, that's all I'm going to say

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/31/08 2:06 p.m.

they are saying on the forum over there it's cause of a leap second this year and that's what screwed them all up, so if it's 2009 where you live does yours work?

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/31/08 2:14 p.m.

I posted right before posting here before twin cam there is now 2 maybe 3 pages more than then lol.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/31/08 2:22 p.m.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djhighlights/200812311307DOWJONESDJONLINE000489.htm

UPDATE: Microsoft's Zune Player Experiencing Problems December 31, 2008: 01:07 PM ET SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones) -- Microsoft Corp. has warned customers using the 30-gigabyte version of its Zune media player that they "may experience issues when booting their Zune hardware." Several media outlets have reported complaints from users who said their Zune devices were freezing up. The company's Zune Web site said the company was aware of the problem and was working to correct it. Microsoft (MSFT) has been trying to promote the Zune a legitimate alternative to Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) iconic iPod music players. Recently, the software giant introduced new versions of the Zune that included additional storage and new features, including the ability to identify and buy songs heard on the radio and receive customized play lists.

So, lemme see... A Microsoft product designed to rip off an Apple innovation freezes up and stops working. Ahh, was there a back door in the software to let hackers take over your music player when you plugged it into your car? The Indians code the "what time is it" routine backwards?

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/31/08 2:24 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: It's made my Microsoft, that's all I'm going to say

Right, because the iPod isn't a ticking time bomb with those batteries...

< Doesn't own an mp3 player.

Hess, Apple did not "innovate" anything. They marketed it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/31/08 2:29 p.m.

Yeah, whatever. They innovated the marketing. They didn't invent the WYSIWYG or mouse either but claimed it with the LISA.

I don't own a standalone MP3 player either, although 2 cars and one bike will play MP3 CDs.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/31/08 2:32 p.m.

you know the funny thing is if you call microsoft tech support there's some BS line about extreme weather. I said it must be the telephone E36 M3 storm they are getting, I live an hourish from there and I don't know about any "extreme weather oh and I said E36 M3 on the forum there to see if any GRMers are about lol.

GSmith
GSmith Reader
12/31/08 3:23 p.m.

got mine free... had used it yesterday. it does seem to be hung.

therex
therex SuperDork
12/31/08 5:12 p.m.

This is actually really sad. I think the Zune is a superior media player to the Ipod, not that that matters a lick of difference to the average consumer, but that's my opinion.

Built-in wifi from Day 1, the Zune Pass is freakin' AMAZING, and they're cheaper.

But it's cool to hate Microsoft so whatever.

FWIW, they'll be fixed tomorrow:

http://gizmodo.com/5121822/official-fix-for-the-zune-30-fail

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
1/1/09 12:03 a.m.

yeah sure they will, we'll see at noon if it's "fixed"

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
1/1/09 4:50 a.m.

well it's fixed it was 12pm GMT I wasn't freaking out I put it in a drawer till it was time plugged it in and well WOW it worked lol. I feel bad for the impatient people who voided their warranties by opening the thing up.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/1/09 9:45 a.m.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,474690,00.html I figgered it was GMT related. So, if I have this right, there is a clock inside the thing that is not user settable, there's no way to reboot it (no "microsoft button"), and it is locked up tight with DRM? I hope they're cheap.

Glad your gizmo is working.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/09 11:32 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,474690,00.html I figgered it was GMT related. So, if I have this right, there is a clock inside the thing that is not user settable, there's no way to reboot it (no "microsoft button"), and it is locked up tight with DRM? I hope they're cheap. Glad your gizmo is working.

LOL DRM failz

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/09 11:45 a.m.
Osterizer wrote:
Right, because the iPod isn't a ticking time bomb with those batteries... < Doesn't own an mp3 player. Hess, Apple did not "innovate" anything. They marketed it.

Battery lifespan? Is it still 2001? That's not an issue anymore.

The real strength of the iPod is iTunes. Before that, nobody had managed to get all five major labels to sign up for an online store, and Apple managed to nail the price per track pretty well. Plus, I can hand an iPod to my tech-adverse father and he can figure out how to make it work. There's a reason it's dominating the industry.

I'm not a fan of DRM myself, which is why most of my music comes off CDs or from eMusic. But you have to appreciate the way Apple brought digital music into reality for everyone.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
1/2/09 12:48 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Osterizer wrote:
Right, because the iPod isn't a ticking time bomb with those batteries... < Doesn't own an mp3 player. Hess, Apple did not "innovate" anything. They marketed it.
Battery lifespan? Is it still 2001? That's not an issue anymore.

The batteries still have a limited cycle life, and there's no way to replace them DIY without breaking the warrenty. The Creative Labs Zen has a little tab you can lift for battery access. Easy.

I know you can send the iPod back to Apple and they'll replace the battery, but they want a tidy sum to do it.

I hate iTunes and its syncing system. Is drag and drop a hard thing for Apple (and Microsoft) to understand? ARG.

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/09 12:59 p.m.

You can drag and drop with iTunes, just check the box that says 'manually manage music' when you first get your ipod and it never syncs to the computer.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/09 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Osterizer:

I don't know how long the warranty is on a Zune, but the batteries on my current iPod are still going strong after over 3 years. The warranty is over. If it goes, I'll buy one of the $25 battery packs and stuff it in.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
1/2/09 1:20 p.m.
jdmae92 wrote: You can drag and drop with iTunes, just check the box that says 'manually manage music' when you first get your ipod and it never syncs to the computer.

Is it possible to skip iTunes all together?

Keith:

Zune batteries are non-replaceable too, no idea on the warrenty. BLEH.

Josh
Josh Reader
1/2/09 2:03 p.m.
Keith wrote: In reply to Osterizer: If it goes, I'll buy one of the $25 battery packs and stuff it in.

Yeah, the battery thing is basically a non-issue relentlessly trumpeted by people who for whatever reason are desperate to find fault with anything Apple does. I mean, if you are going to direct your hate at something in this world, someone else's choice of a digital audio player seems like a pretty frivolous choice.

I have a first-gen nano, which is supposed to be the hardest to replace the battery on (soldered to the board, tiny chassis), and I ran it through the washing machine. Once I dried it out, it worked, but only plugged in - it wouldn't hold a charge. With $12 and half an hour's work, I had a new battery with 50% more capacity and it's worked perfectly ever since.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
1/2/09 2:09 p.m.
Osterizer wrote: Is it possible to skip iTunes all together?

Google "ipod hacks". Its possible to do all kinds of stuff with 'em. Including uploading a new linux based operating system.

I'm currently researching turning my ipod mini into a universal remote for my tv and upgrading its 4gb harddrive to a 32gb flash card....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sxRSdxzWXjoQgGaO7GvJPjVclXlVrF4LhOPCnGOiAhWoCDMi9z0zLl3dSImxLR7Y