1 2
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/18 11:15 a.m.
Robbie said:

Does it not piss anyone else off that you have to buy an additional phone protector product (or TWO!) and that you cannot just buy a phone that doesn't break?

No, quite the opposite, in fact. Why should I have to haul around a bulky phone because other people can't keep from dropping them? Besides, if you want the extra protection, there are plenty of options. And, as others have mentioned, Samsung has their "Active" line if you want the extra durability.

I keep my phone in my pocket, so cases and stuff are just more junk for me to lug around, and makes it harder to get the phone in and out of the pocket. not to mention, some of these cases are $50-100!

Anybody who pays that much for a phone case is either a fool or bought it in a cell phone store. Or both. Amazon has zillions of quality, high-rated cases for $20 or less for every decenly popular phone. I paid $11 for the Spigen Rugged Armor on my Note 8, it fits great, looks nice and sleek, and still provides a good amount of protection.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/3/18 11:17 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

... its been run over 3 times,  totally submerged in water, doused in gasoline, dropped off a 3rd story, and hit with welding slag. its been in my pocket is car accidents, falls, ass kickings, etc. 

What are you doing to have this amount of fun?  Ass kickings? 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/3/18 11:37 a.m.

In reply to pres589 :

Life on life's terms.

And the terms of mine ain't gentle on me or equipment.......

But i remember every bit of it. None is alcohol or drug related. Mostly work (mental health housing and crisis intervention) or side job (plumbing, mechanic, fabricator, hammer swinging). Some is just plain old E36 M3 happens. Like dropping it in the 5 gallon bucket full of water after it rained.

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
8/3/18 11:47 a.m.

I've got a Galaxy S8, in a magpul case. The S8 is waterproof, dustproof, and has wireless charging. I take it swimming, never have to worry about lint in the charge port (wireless charging) or headphone port (bluetooth headphones), and the magpul case is just the right amount of protection/grip/looks for me.

I'd highly recommend getting a phone that's waterproof with wireless charging, those are two HUGE features.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/18 11:52 a.m.

I have had an iPhone 3, 5S and currently have a 7+  all of them survived being in my pocket for years without issue with just a simple rubber case.  This includes working on cars, fabricating, playing with my kid, etc.

The 5S had its battery replaced under warranty as part of the battery problems a while back.  Still works and we use it for a baby monitor. 

The 3's we took to the Philippines years ago and gave to family there after being unlocked and loaded with a pre-paid SIM.  The batteries no longer hold a charge and getting apps, etc to work is tricky anymore, so I think they've finally been recycled.

Otherwise they've been rock solid and reliable, even survived being dropped more than a couple of times.

A couple of friends have had cheap Samsung/Generic Android smart phones and have had annoying software issues with them.  The ones that bought higher end phones had less problems, so keep that in mind when shopping.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
8/3/18 12:07 p.m.

Just replaced my old Galaxy S5 for the latest Moto. Went with it because of several suggestions and the fact I didn't really care for the edge screen on the Galaxy S9. Only complaint I had with the S5 was the case, I used one of those full cover that folded over with a small screen. This one replaced the back, snapped on as the back and kept getting warning popups stating the cover wasn't sealed. Very annoying to have to clear that to use the phone for anything. Towards the end of my use the battery life was only a couple hours.

This new Moto is supposed to have gorilla glass installed and is warrantied for screen cracking. I did add the extra protection of a add-on screen protector. Now I just have to get used to having a phone that battery lasts days instead of hours.

Kinda funny I stayed with Android this time because I travel with an Android tablet and wanted the same software in both. I bought the android tablet because I was using an android phone and wanted the same software. The work issued leash (phone) used to be Blackberry (Classic), changed over to iPhone early this year.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/3/18 2:24 p.m.

I just got rid of my Moto Z as well.  I went through two in less than a year, the first when it was only about a week old.  It caught fire sitting on my desk.  Fortunately I was standing nearby and smelled it.  The second one had started randomly shutting down, even with 80% charge.  You had to plug in the charger and it would start back up.  It would still show the same battery life, but for some reason plugging the charger seemed to "reboot" it.  It also had gotten to where it would not stay connected to any WiFi, no matter what the strength.  Easily the worst phone I ever owned.  I replaced it with a LG and seems much better built, but time will tell.  

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/3/18 3:23 p.m.

I went from a Moto G4 Play to a Nokia 6.1 (aka Nokia 6 2018) a few months ago. The Moto always felt cheap and plasticky; the Nokia feels like a titanium ingot. It's part of the Android One program, which means zero manufacturer changes to the OS and monthly updates (one of my major gripes with the Moto was how infrequently updates were pushed through). It's not waterproof, and I haven't abused it, but it's absolutely the most solid-feeling phone I've had. Only issue for some may be that it's GSM only (I'm on T-Mobile).

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/18 5:04 p.m.

My two cents.

I've been carrying cell phones for 20 years. Other than one that is sitting at the bottom of the Charleston harbor, I've never broken one. No cracked screens, broken charge ports, no dead pixels. 

All have been kept in cases and belt clips and after dropping the one overboard, they go in a dry box if they are on the boat. The current phone is a V20 from LG. The Otterbox case for it was $30. The phone, at the time of purchase, was almost $700. There was zero chance I wouldn't put it in a very good case. After digging lint out of them a couple of times, I don't put them in my pocket either. They are either in a belt clip or a safe place. I fully expect this phone to last 4-5 years just like the last one did because I will treat it like the very expensive item it is. 

The case is the key to keeping a phone alive. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/18 8:35 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

Samsung Galaxy S-7 edge, I'm on my 2nd one. I don't carry, other than from desk to vehicle and back so most of the time the phone sits and I don't use it very often at all, like maybe 10-15 calls a month and a couple picture uploads a month. I'd call them fragile, one small drop in a rubber case killed the screen in the first, phone unusable, was told screen can't be replaced. The second phone suffered the first short drop in a rubber case which also cracked the screen. Initially it wouldn't function but regained usefulness after a couple days but it's done a weird flashing section of the screen since. I expect it to die at any time. Would not recommend.

I have had my edge since they came out. I did break the back of it, but the irony of that, I did it while putting it into an open faced otterbox. I dropped it onto the sidewalk outside bestbuy as I fumbled it getting it into the case. Other than that it has not even been turned off in all the time I have had it.

The only phones I did break was an old Motorola I90 I dropped into the ocean and a Palm Pre I dropped from 35 feet into the air. Other than that, they live in any available  pocket, stuffed into the centre console of my cars, and generally live a fun filled life. I have even used my edge to do a bit of underwater photography in the edge of a pool

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I use iPhones with an otterbox and a dollar tree glass screen protector.  I am a carpenter and between work and the garage i drop it constantly.  Have a 7+ right now that’s almost a year old and i drop it probably once a day.  On my 2nd screen protector but at $1 they’re cheap insurance.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/5/18 12:56 a.m.

Get an otterbox. The life proof is the E36 M3tiest case in my experience. If you are active or want to use your phone then the lifeproof sucks. It wears really fast and disrupts your phones function. I had one on my s7 for almost a year. I didn't ever drop the phone but the case fell apart anyway same with my wife's that lasted a little longer by a month. They just started to deteriorate on their own.  Since then, I've had an otterbox I bought on Amazon for $20 it's flawless and I can use my phone.

As far as durable phones. My galaxy S4 went through a couple of harsh Afghanistan deployments where it went through a couple unplanned "field test". It finally gave in after a severe fall on concrete in California. Lasted years of abuse and didn't skip a beat. My S7 still looks brand new but it hasn't had as rough a life. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/18 9:33 a.m.
Curtis said:

As I understand it, the big culprit to phone speed and failures is the battery.  After years of battery abuse, they start putting out fewer milliamps and the processors don't fully clock to their speed. 

This is an Apple-specific software feature, capping the clock speed reduces peak power draw which improves stability, but at the expense of performance AND efficiency.

I've also never lost a phone to impact/environmental damage (I just retire them when the newest software I can get on them is too old), and for my last two I've only used cases when I know I'm going into a situation where the phone could be more easily broken, like doing an offroad rally.

BUT modern phones are indeed getting more fragile. The stronger materials in newer phones don't make up for the tighter body design that leaves screens and internal components more vulnerable, and few manufacturers are interested in making ruggedized phones (which are bulkier than non-ruggedized ones by necessity), that's why cases are needed.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
8/5/18 10:42 a.m.

I just use cheap phones with decent cameras and removeable batteries. I only need it for calls, texts, and Instagram.  Currently I rock a LG K10.  No name "jelly" style case (thrown in for free by my service providor) and, lately, a cheap (4 for $9) "tempered glass" screen protector. Mostly because as an eletrician, and at the junkyard, I always have tools in my pocket, and it keeps the screen from getting cracked. The case also makes for a convenient place to keep my union card from getting destroyed in my pocket. (Everything gets destroyed in my wallet when I work, so I usually leave it in the car. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/18 11:07 a.m.

Currently using an iphone7 plus with the life proof waterproof case. Life proof has replaced the case 2x in 14 months due to the plastic film that covers the microphone opening stretching and making it sound like I am underwater. A tad annoying but there warrant replacement process is painless just take a photo of your sales receipt with your phone and keep it there. As well as screen shots of previous warranty claims.  

I really like there case. Completely waterproof and very slim compared to otter box. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/18 12:48 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
few manufacturers are interested in making ruggedized phones (which are bulkier than non-ruggedized ones by necessity), that's why cases are needed.

the irony there is telling. Nobody wants to make a more rugged phone because it would be too big and bulky.. so we all go out and buy big and bulky cases to put our small and slim phones in.

That was the main reason I stuck my edge in it's case. I found it too slender and slippery to handle easily

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/18 12:57 p.m.
mad_machine said:
GameboyRMH said:
few manufacturers are interested in making ruggedized phones (which are bulkier than non-ruggedized ones by necessity), that's why cases are needed.

the irony there is telling. Nobody wants to make a more rugged phone because it would be too big and bulky.. so we all go out and buy big and bulky cases to put our small and slim phones in.

It may sound a bit silly but it makes some sense, it lets you choose between a bulky and durable phone or a light & thin but fragile phone (which it seems most people prefer).

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/18 4:49 p.m.

It also allows personalization, which for some is very important.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/18 6:08 p.m.

I've got a basic best buy case on a gs8+. Survived plenty of drops, heat, moisture, etc. Battery is a bit tired, but i tend to run my devices flat out. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/18 7:50 p.m.

I vaguely recall that Caterpillar might make a ruggedized phone, and there are several others out there.

I do get the impression that the newer, larger phone break easier, which makes sense as they have more glass and in most cases, the glass goes almost to the edge. In general I'm not that hard on phones so my iPhone X (that has both front and back glass...) resides in one of the less protective Otterboxes that seems to be a good compromise between bulk and protection.

My work phone is an Essential Phone and has a fairly cheap case, and that seems to be doing OK so far, too.

failboat
failboat UberDork
8/6/18 1:18 p.m.

I have reliability data like, my wife and I bought 2 identical phones at the same time. LG G4. I immediately put a case on mine, she did not. 

Wifes phone got dropped enough times that the screen was shattered into about 300 pieces. Probably within a year or so. So now we pay an additional $30 a month to pay off her fancy new galaxy S8 Active. And she still hasn't put a berkeleying case on her phone. 

I am still using my same old G4.  I did buy a big ass battery for my phone off amazon around the time she got the S8. 

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/6/18 2:28 p.m.

i fix all of our phones.  started with my wife's old Iphone 4.  at the time, i had a dumb phone, and she was due an upgrade.  for $65, i got a colored screen/case (carolina blue over carbon fiber!) and tool kit and did it myself.  first time took 30 minutes.  Subsequently went in and replaced a home button, a speaker and a battery on that one.  She got a 4S, which also got a screen once in its lifetime.  Procedure was mostly the same, less to disassemble actually, got that one down to 20 minutes start to finish.  now we both have 6s (not 6S).  At 3 years old, I just replaced her battery, mine is still fine.  I've done a screen on both of ours.  She has a Tannc flip cover case, I have a generic clear plastic perimeter case.  Both have tempered screen protectors.  I can do a screen in 10 minutes.  The battery only took another 10.  not sure if this is helpful or not, but I think buying new phones to keep up with the joneses is the dumbest thing.  use it until it stops being useful.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/6/18 5:36 p.m.

I’ve only had 3 issues in my 7 years with 4 iPhones, and only 1 was was unreasonable. That was my 4s losing battery life at 18 months. From full to dead in 4 hours of standby with nothing running. This was before USB battery packs became commonplace.

That was replaced by a 6 at launch. My 6 suffered a cracked screen from a drop because it popped out of its case on a face down drop. I covered it in packing tape and it soldiered on. Probably in March it’s battery life went to E36 M3. Full “iPhone 6 battery failure”. But at that point it was three and a half years old and I understand things wear out. I would have taken the $29 battery swap except it would have needed a new screen and that would be another $100+, so my wife and I took a deal on new 8’s. 

For cases I prefer good slim cases. Things like the Otter defender are too bulky for my taste and I don’t trust belt clips. I typically run Speck cases with no incidents resulting in any damages. I surprisingly had luck with an assortment of cheap cases for my 4s from minimalist shells and a 5 Below 2 piece to eBay’s cheapest battery case. 

I’ve had 2 bad cases from “good” brands. One was a lifeproof. As I mentioned earlier, it left the phone nearly unusable and it fell apart in 6 months. I bought it on eBay and knowing about the counterfeits I went through the “how to spot a fake” lifeproof published and I successfully registered it. It checked out. When I went to warranty it they denied it as a fake despite previously confirming it’s registration. So the second note is only buy from an authorized retailer, the risk of shopping through eBay or Amazon is too high. 

My other bad case was a Tech 21. I’ve previously heard them described as the safest slim case available.  I forgot exactly what one I had but it was flexible and wouldn’t hold the phone as well as a Speck. This was the case I had when I dropped it and it just popped out and broke the screen. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E1ujcIRJzbWDEHtNe1cAOaCWMcvD1tPEC8vF1JRctjiR24AtZhuG5PH3BzItWiv6