bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/21 10:47 a.m.

I don't expect a lot from UPS, but I do expect some basic level of care and accountability. We sent five pumps from Seattle to the East Coast on April 28. Three went to New York and two to Maine for the same customer. The pumps weigh 11 pounds each and are in very sturdy, unopened boxes about 7 inches by 11 inches by 10 inches. We have found that by taping the boxes together in twos or threes, UPS does far less damage because they cannot throw the heavier package as far. 

The three showed up in New York in good condition on May 3. The two to Maine never showed up. On May 4 the tracking said "there has been a damage". Two days of phone calls finally got me to a live person who sent me their explanation. It read: 

The contents contained in the package described above were damaged. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you or your consignee.

The parcel was found empty and the carton has been discarded.

So they claim that both my very well packaged pumps (factory packaging plus substantial extra tape)  "fell out of the boxes." To add insult to injury they claim to have found only the empty boxes which they promptly tossed with no further investigation or documentation. 

They say that because it was a packaging issue it is my fault and I have to eat it. (I'm just looking for the basic $100.00 compensation as it's the principle not the money at this point). They clearly have no intention of any further effort on their part. For the record, we UPS thousands of these pumps around the continent every year and other than typical lack of care damage, none have ever "fallen out of the box" 

I want to pursue this because the lack of accountability is really picking at me. Think I will get anywhere?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
5/7/21 11:06 a.m.

When I lived in the worst state in the Union (Rhode Island), UPS didn't deliver a new computer and a two packages worth of clothes. Took me 7 months of phone calls to get them to reimburse for everything. Later found out (2 years later), it was happening to lots of people around there, and the 2 drivers were eventually fired for making packages "go missing."

USPS - another story! I have 3 important pieces of mail not delivered last Friday. I use the camera function, so I know what mail is supposed to come daily. Talked to my postwoman. She says she doesn't know. I said should I go down to PO and ask whats happening? Her reply "missing mail is not a big a deal. Just call the ppeople you are expecting mail from, and have them resend it" SIGH surprise

Lack of accountability in America is of epic proportions...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/7/21 11:21 a.m.

I have claims at work.  Due to Covid UPS is a joke.  I can't get anyone to help.  

Basically you lose.  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/21 11:42 a.m.

My experience has been that if it was not insured, then you will only be able to get $100 out of them. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/21 11:57 a.m.

My son sold his Xbox 360 last summer. I shipped it via UPS and of course they lost it. Then when they found it they decided to be ever so helpful and shipped it to the buyer's previous address (her parent's house 2 states away). Then I asked them to ship it back to the correct address and they permanently lost it. It took about 3 months and 12 hours on the phone to get reimbursed. It was a HUGE PITA and waste of my time. My suggestion would be to ask for a supervisor right off the bat and then ask them to elevate you to the highest level possible right away. If you have a corporate account threaten to move to another shipper.  I'd demand pictures and or other proof that it was actually your fault. More than likely it was lost, run over by a forklift or got mangled in their sorting equipment.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7NxL5tH8o2xNIJe7z0A70VKuLzCMoPYwI5yVyaBmoDsebDTHUVvgqJRePFX0y1TY