AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/21 9:30 a.m.

Flying into St Pete - Clearwater, arriving Sun 3/28 at 11:30PM

Flying home Thu 4/1 at 5 PM

All on-site rental agencies are sold out.

Looks like Tampa International isn't too far away, i could Uber over there to get a car.  NO CARS AVAILABLE.

So, anyone in GRM world want to rent me a car for that time window?  Wife and kid and some luggage.  No special needs.  Air conditioning required.

Who can help a brother out?

or any recommendations on private rental services?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/24/21 9:43 a.m.

Try taking the Uber to an Enterprise, Hertz or Avis location that might be near the local car dealerships.  

Hertz called these locations Hertz Local Edition or HLE on their website.  These are the locations that do a lot of insurance work like renting you a car while yours is in the body shop.  

Second benefit:  No tourist tax.  Renting from these places, intended for local residents tend to the avoid the tourist taxes you pay by renting at the airport.  As long as you pick up AND drop off at these in-town places you could be avoiding as much as $20 per day in just tax/fees.  That might pay for the Uber ride.  

EDIT: your times are difficult.  Will you need the car at Midnight the day you arrive?  Done on Sunday might be tough if these dealership-area offices are not open Sundays.  

Turo (I have never used.)  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/24/21 11:03 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
3/24/21 11:15 a.m.

https://www.cars2go.us/reservations/

they seem legit? and also sketchy?

Fueled by Caffeine
3/24/21 11:18 a.m.

sixt at tampa airport has cars.. but they seem expensive..

https://www.sixt.com/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/24/21 12:23 p.m.

At the GRM car rental service, all cars come with tools in the trunk and the parts you need to do the maintenance that is a condition of your rental.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/21 3:46 p.m.

You're landing in my backyard. I sent you an email. Call me.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
3/24/21 5:44 p.m.

Where are you staying? There are "free" beach ride services up and down the coast from Clearwater to St Pete Bch. They work for tips only but they stay along the coastal towns.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass Reader
3/24/21 10:49 p.m.

There is a Hertz at a Ramada Inn real close (3 miles) to the Tampa airport that has prices about half of airport location rates since you don't have to pay airport tax on the rental.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/26/21 5:56 p.m.

There was a story on the evening news tonight about rental cars - availability is way down and prices are way up.  It's due to the rental companies selling off a lot of their inventory over the last year to survive the shutdown, and now they're having a hard time stocking up again since there are delays in construction of new cars due to semiconductor shortages.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/26/21 6:45 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

There was a story on the evening news tonight about rental cars - availability is way down and prices are way up.  It's due to the rental companies selling off a lot of their inventory over the last year to survive the shutdown, and now they're having a hard time stocking up again since there are delays in construction of new cars due to semiconductor shortages.

and the fire that toasted 1000s of rental cars in Florida !

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
4/8/21 5:03 p.m.

I remembered this thread for a few weeks back.

Looking at rental car prices around Tampa. Anyone want to make some money on renting me their vehicle this weekend, for a week? 

Pretty wild that I could probably find a beater for not much more than a cheap rental would cost me. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/8/21 6:57 p.m.

How topical, the Washington Post is talking about rental car prices

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/21 8:14 p.m.

If I drive my challenge car down there and he rents it how does that work? Does it go towards recoup? What if instead of a dollar amount on the rental he pays via barter of parts that I could utilize? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8bjUt1p1cro4YD1IWMRQYGDAMH4eLpaL2B8kkEVaey7iGfLfLFvo4jWZeZaU2vVg