rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
10/8/12 11:25 p.m.

The boy and I are planning a driving trip from Austin to Vegas in November. I'm looking for a site or app that let's me enter start times to guesstimate when we can stop for lunch, sleep, etc. most map sites just give overall destinations and routes.

For example, if we left at 5:00, looks like we would arrive in Lubbock around time to stop and sleep. But, what if we left at 2:00? Or, if we leave Lubbock at 7:00 am, about where would we be at lunchtime. Stuff like that.

Anyone have a suggestion rather than eyeballing a map or Google earth? I figure what I want exists somewhere.

-Rob

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/9/12 2:02 a.m.

google maps got me pretty close when i took my grand tour of the middle of the US (west central MN to Corpus Christi TX via St Louis and Memphis) in June.. just break it down into sections and add destinations.. then once you get on the road, you can throw it all away and just get where you are going whenever you get there.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/9/12 6:26 a.m.

Google maps works for me. We also use a program called CoPilot Live for when we want to program a specific route for club touring rallys and get turn-by-turn directions displayed via a Droid mounted in the car.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/12 7:49 a.m.

Microsoft Streets and Trips did a GREAT job of that back in the day. You could schedule stops for rest and fuel, break trips into as many segments and waypoints as you wanted. Once Google Maps and GPS became popular, PC mapping software kinda faded away, but the software is still available from Microsoft. I kinda miss it, but $40 compared to free has kept me from missing it too much.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
10/9/12 7:54 a.m.

Me too, "back in the day."
We used MapPoint or Streets and Trips for some delivery efficiency routing software.
At the time, neither package was free but given the nature of the internet, I bet you could find a copy somewhere.

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
10/9/12 8:21 a.m.

I use Garmin Base Camp.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
10/9/12 8:32 a.m.

I use Mapquest - it has estimated driving times (they are conservative).

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/9/12 8:33 a.m.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=road+trip+planner

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
10/9/12 10:05 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=road+trip+planner

Yeah, I know how to use Google (and Yahoo and DogPile and I even remember AltaVista!! ), but pretty much every site has the trip and total miles, but nothing more than that. Except ads for chain restaurants, or flights, or rental cars.

I was hoping that since so many people on here travel by car, they might have happened on something. Here's what I'd like to do (without having to select midpoints and guess in Google Maps or any of the other planning sites).

1) Plot the route (every map site can do that)
2) Enter a start time. I.E. Leaving Friday at 5:00 p.m.
3) Have the site tell me where I'll be at 9:00 p.m., 10:00 p.m., 11:00 pm. That way, I can know, "OK, it's 9:00 p.m. in bfe West Texas. If I drive another hour, I should be able to make Lubbock and find a place better than the "Ittel-Doo" motel here in bfe."
4) Then, be able to say, if we leave Lubbock at 7:00 a.m., we could make it to blah, NM around noon and find a cool local place to eat lunch.

And do the same for the return trip.

I would figure in today's world of info, somebody would have something like that. So far, I haven't found it.
(But, I am downloading the trial of Streets and Trips, I'm surprised it still exists!)

-Rob

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
10/9/12 10:27 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Me too, "back in the day." We used MapPoint or Streets and Trips for some delivery efficiency routing software. At the time, neither package was free but given the nature of the internet, I bet you could find a copy somewhere.

"Back in the day" I went to AAA and had them make me a Triptik.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/9/12 10:33 a.m.

AAA still does Triptiks. They also have handy books that list attractions, restaurants, lodging, etc. Sometimes the old way is still pretty good.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/9/12 10:36 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis:

MS Streets will do what you want. I used to use a 2002 edition all the time, but haven't since getting new computers that wouldn't run the older CDROM.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
URDlttHKrlWDtnPcPqPeJXteg6KgOVNEB8SnJ8NhOWYEOzBF9OenFUPqHaF0TvR8