Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/29/18 7:09 p.m.

I'm not proud to admit this, but i broke our stove. Pulling hot cheese for nachos and cheese out of the microwave, the bowl slipped and cracked the glass stove top.

Now i gotta fix it. Have no idea what im doing, what reputable company to give my money to, etc. 

Ita a whirlpool super capacity 465. Attached is the sticker.

My wife is making me eat tv dinners until I fix it. And banquet meals SUCK.

so help me grm-kenobi, you'r my only hope.....

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/29/18 7:19 p.m.

Find your nearest walk-in "Repair Clinic" warehouse. They'll probably have it in stock . I use them for all my appliance spare parts needs.

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a13b5c17/Whirlpool-Range-Stove-Oven-Cooktop-Parts

t25torx
t25torx Dork
5/29/18 7:33 p.m.

So here's another thought. Most times I don't advocate replacing an item over fixing it, but in the past I've found it cheaper to buy a newer stove off Craigslist then replace the tops on those. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
5/29/18 7:40 p.m.
t25torx said:

So here's another thought. Most times I don't advocate replacing an item over fixing it, but in the past I've found it cheaper to buy a newer stove off Craigslist then replace the tops on those. 

Definitely the correct approach here. In car guy terms, that entire range is 'totaled'. You're going to have about $400 in a replacement cooktop alone. Then you have to hope that it gets installed correctly onto an aging unit.

With Memorial Day sales currently underway, you can get new ranges for basically the same cost. $419 brand new range with free delivery.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/29/18 7:55 p.m.

I also vote replace, just because it's easy to find good deals on these either on the lists of Craig or scratch & dent or showroom / demo models.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/29/18 8:37 p.m.

Yeah, been there, done that.  These are cheaper to buy a nicer, newer one than they are to fix.  And, frankly, it's easier to just pull the broken one out and drop in the stove top than it is to do that PLUS replace the glass.

chief8one
chief8one Reader
5/29/18 8:49 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/29/18 9:05 p.m.

My mother broke my glass cooktop many years ago.  The manufacturer sent me a replacement for free but I had to install it myself.  It took about 45 minutes and wasn’t hard.  If it cost more than $200 for a replacement top i’d Vote for just buy a new stove.  (I prefer gas)

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
5/29/18 9:13 p.m.

Sometimes you can score a cheap used top on ebay, but yeah those things are $$$ new :(

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/30/18 5:17 a.m.

Craigslist hadn't occurred to me  

But otherwise, thanks guys.  Not what i wanted to hear, but what i needed to.

Time to hunt down a replacement. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/30/18 6:33 a.m.

Found a very similar replacement for $419

Time to go to Lowe's. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/20/21 2:07 a.m.

Hey, if the oven still works, time to get into powder coating?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yQ8nldGf6KE0hDM4RJ8RTuyElqlagG5439ho4ma2UlXbvn1qTSldoU6QJWxu77KY