1 2
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/12/20 4:18 p.m.

Since this was bumped into by a canoe, lets make the best of it:

Where are we at 5 years later with moving companies? 

There are a lot more options then 5 years ago.

einy
einy HalfDork
2/12/20 4:44 p.m.

Read the Clark Howard guide to moving on his website.  I cannot recall the name, but there is a legit organization for movers.  Not saying they will be the most careful folks, but at least they won’t hold your property hostage for more money than estimated in a non-binding quote.  Oh, and insist on a binding quote.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
7/25/21 3:18 p.m.

Not a story regarding a cross country move just a funny story regarding a crooked moving company.

Many years ago my brother hired a mover for a local move, agreed on a price and gave a small deposit. This was a cash deal and a handshake but the price was right.

After picking up all of my brother's worldly possessions, the mover held everything for ransom refusing to deliver unless my brother paid a much higher price than was agreed on. My brother had no choice so he paid up.

Fast forward six months, one of my tenants moved out. The tenant left almost everything behind, nothing was of any real value it was cheap furniture and two old style big screen tvs (the ones that weigh a ton).

I called up the moving company my brother hired. After agreeing on a price, and paying a 100$ deposit, the mover showed up and loaded up everything the tenant left behind. I tipped the workers 20$ each for loading everything up so quickly.

The place it was to be delivered to was my brother's old house which was still vacant and under renovation, (why not a bit of irony) but I knew it wouldn't come to that.

As expected, the mover demanded more money than the agreed upon price. I strung him along for weeks with various excuses but assuring him the money was on the way. 

Finally he had enough. he said If I didn't pay by the date he set, everything was going to the dump.  

If I hired a junk removal company it would have been over 600$ to empty the apartment. The crooked moving company only cost 140$.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
7/25/21 3:37 p.m.

Make sure your HOA allows PODS on your property for longer than 48 hours. I didn't know it was a no no for my new home. HOA fined me $100 per day! Left a really bad taste in my mouth. I got them to drop it and told them it was a bad business practice to do it to people moving in or out. They still do it to other people to this day.. angry

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/21 5:36 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Make sure your HOA allows PODS on your property for longer than 48 hours. I didn't know it was a no no for my new home. HOA fined me $100 per day! Left a really bad taste in my mouth. I got them to drop it and told them it was a bad business practice to do it to people moving in or out. They still do it to other people to this day.. angry

While we're on the subject of abuse of power and financial extortion: HOA. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/21 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

I bet they write fewer tickets when their office is on fire.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/25/21 8:45 a.m.

This original 2015 thread was bumped again by spam.  I think that says a lot about the state of the moving company business and with that definitive answer...Lock!  

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
E0o24l4zqxoqkw1oKcWyy3cWSDGKmuEx6ljNa8P8zAJ3fKlC44fkRxrJPSAPrTx3