Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/10/18 9:41 p.m.

Since Nissan is excited over shipping Altimas are we jacked up on the Genesis G70?  Have the Koreans realized not everyone wants a Camry and are grabbing my sweet spot?

base model  

RWD 

6-speed manual tranny

4 cylinder 2 hundred something HP?

independent rear axle?

is this the modern 510? Except that minor 2-door issue.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/10/18 9:51 p.m.

Dat ass!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/10/18 10:12 p.m.

Great looking. Too bad, no one is buying Sedans. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/11/18 5:47 a.m.

The car service Ive been using for rides to the airport runs a couple year old LWB G90 with the V8. It's a damn nice place to spend time stuck in traffic but I have no driving experience. Trunk is smaller than expected though.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/11/18 5:50 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

No love for 4 door 510’s

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/11/18 6:19 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I get that but we are in desperate times.  Not a lot of manual tranny RWD cars left deducting the muscle car boys; Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, Challenger. 

How about today’s Hakosuka?   

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
12/11/18 6:38 a.m.

You've been able to buy a Cadillac ATS with 200+hp turbo 4cyl/manual/RWD for several years now. It came in both coupe and sedan body styles.

That's not to say that hte Genesis isn't a nice ride, but it's not your only option either.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/11/18 7:16 a.m.

4 cyl turbo in a car that size doesn't excite me. Sedans don't really excite me either. 

In 20 years, I've only owned 2 4 door vehicles. A Mazdaspeed 3, and a mid-size truck.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/11/18 7:31 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I looked the Caddy up on the GM family website and I can build a base one for $33,000 plus tax minus rebates and employee pricing.  

Call it my frugal Upbringing or Catholic guilt but I never would consider a new Cadillac as the image is too fancy for me but it’s cheaper than the Genesis.  

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/11/18 7:46 a.m.

I knew nothing of the G70, so I looked up some information and reviews. It sounds like they got some good people driving the development, so there's hope for it, but the real key for enthusiasts will be if the aftermarket supports it. I never would have guessed that Hyundai would be carrying the torch for manual transmissions and RWD...strange days indeed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/18 8:37 a.m.

The G70 is a smaller Kia Stinger.  It is supposed to be the luxury option to the Kia's performance option, but the G70 gets a manual for the 2.0 (Kia Doesn't) and with the success of the A7, you'd think the slantback would go to the Genesis, but it stays with Kia.  Both are pretty awesome to drive. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
12/11/18 8:45 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the G70 is in direct relation to the Kia Stinger. Both can be had with the turbo 2.0 (~250 hp) or the 3.3 twin turbo (~360 hp). The 3.3T with a tune and bolt ons seems to be able to get you north of 400 hp to the wheels.

Personally i think out of the 2 i prefer the Stinger but i wouldn't kick the G70 out of bed

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
12/11/18 9:16 a.m.

The G70 configurator on the hyundai usa website is the best implementation of walkaround/interior/exterior I've ever seen, bar none.  Better than porsche, aston, any of them.  Click on any door to open it, click and drag to rotate and look at any area.   Very well done.  

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/11/18 9:26 a.m.

Yes.

The Genesis cars are pretty serious contenders in the luxury market from what I understand. There's a G80's and G90's running around here and they're absolutely gorgeous in person.

The GV80 SUV is in the works as well.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
12/11/18 10:06 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to STM317 :

I looked the Caddy up on the GM family website and I can build a base one for $33,000 plus tax minus rebates and employee pricing.  

Call it my frugal Upbringing or Catholic guilt but I never would consider a new Cadillac as the image is too fancy for me but it’s cheaper than the Genesis.  

I know there's more to comparing cars than just spec sheets, but the Caddy seems to have "more" on paper. Google says that the ATS and G70 are essentially the same dimensionally, and get the same rated fuel economy, so those categories are a wash. But the Caddy has 272hp (G70 has 252hp), 295ft-lbs (G70 has 260 ft-lbs), and a curb weight of 3400-3700lbs (G70 is 3500-3900lbs). So the ATS is cheaper, a couple hundred lbs lighter, has 20 more hp and 35 more ft-lbs, with the primary drawback being that it's older.

Both of these cars will suffer from their place on the opposite ends of the stigma scale. You have a negative view of the Caddy for it's history of building giant, flashy land barges that might make people assume you've got money. Most people will view the Genesis negatively for their brand's history of being cheap economy cars that might make people assume that you're broke. I'd say that anybody who judges either one based on brand stereotypes is likely missing out.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
12/11/18 10:21 a.m.

I didn't know this existed.  

Chalk one up for the RWD + stick shift survivors!  

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/11/18 4:56 p.m.

I can't even begin to tell you how stoked I am for this car. 255 horsepower and 260 lb-ft through a 6-speed manual to the rear wheels via a mechanical limited slip diff! And it has a proper mechanical handbrake and it has Brembo brakes and it gets real tires - Michelin PS4s. And it looks great, comes with a bomb-ass stereo and heated and cooled seats and the 6-speed cars get a special sports exhaust. And all for $39k! To steal a line from Marilyn Manson and still provide an accurate statement with the board's censor in place, this is the new E36 M3.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/11/18 7:29 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

Yes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OeelFju3UZDGbCmnC2AOiZJhDYQYt3YuaKFoPZbCjJtbMkBiTLfWxHk3qIlktUTY