9/8/21 2:01 p.m.
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/8/21 2:05 p.m.

Looks like a desperate cry for help.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/21 2:06 p.m.

Anyways, here's what I was trying to post, but with the twitter link embedded.  Twitter breaks the forum right now apparently

I am so dadgum ready for this to happen.  So many delays.  So many setbacks.  Hell, I'm not even going to believe that this thing will launch on that date until I see it rocketing up (and even then I'm gonna hold my breath till it reaches orbit.)  

But still, I am excited.

https://twitter.com/ESA_Webb/status/1435592787123179523

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/8/21 2:14 p.m.

So, this has nothing to do with launching kids?  Disappointed.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/8/21 2:17 p.m.

Hmmm, that's not what's supposed to happen.... We'll get the developers on it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/21 2:25 p.m.

It's not just the launch, though. It's going to take a long time before it gets to the correct orbit and then starts the origami. It's going to be a tense wait.

When the JWST was started, the rocket it was launching on was new. A quarter century later, it's almost ready to be retired. Not one of the faster projects :)

I'm pretty excited about Inspiration4, too - that's the true dawn of tourist spaceflight.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/21 2:31 p.m.

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly. A Spitfire club friend is one of the engineering project directors.  Luckily, he's already bald or he would have pulled the rest of his hair out.  After it goes into orbit, I think he said there will be about a year of commissioning before it's fully operational.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/8/21 5:35 p.m.

It's not actually going into orbit (not the Earth at least).   It will be positioned at L2, a naturally stable point a good ways out in space.  Lots of Delta V will be required!  It will orbit the sun though.  One of the obvious advantages of this is the Earth acts as a sun shade!

More info: https://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/webb-l2.html

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/21 5:36 p.m.

I apologize, I was being lazy with my terminology. Although it's orbiting SOMETHING if you zoom out far enough :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/21 6:27 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I think I understood it at one point, but I've lost understanding again of how, exactly, L4 and L5 work.

(Sorry.  A-how-how-how they work)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/21 6:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to aircooled :

I think I understood it at one point, but I've lost understanding again of how, exactly, L4 and L5 work.

(Sorry.  A-how-how-how they work)

From what I remember its kind of the balance point between the mass of the sun and mass of the earth, and where objects tend to congregate in Earth's orbital path.  They are one of the naturally occurring stable orbits, stuff falls out of L1-L3 and usually ends up orbiting around the L4 or L5 point

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HWzCqrj2JL2FB9azHnrhHfjpLKOnrV9ehS0fBrhsmYOIRXZVFUdV2dZtWStLbp1H