RWD, and it Looks sharp

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/13/20 11:57 p.m.

Daaaannggg!

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/14/20 6:44 a.m.

I like the current 6's look and must say this is a bit more upmarket looking. Me likey.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/20 7:22 a.m.

It's interesting to see the compromises and values that decide what powertrain layout one should use constantly be updated.  I was rather surprised to see I6's start making a comeback, until the equations changed.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/14/20 8:06 a.m.

WOW!

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
4/14/20 8:27 a.m.

I'm pleased to see this, but not as pleased as if it were a pure (non-hybrid) arrangement with a manual (which is almost certainly not in the cards).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/14/20 8:34 a.m.

Awesome! As someone who is now on his 3rd Miata, and 5th Mazda in total, I support this 100%. 

I'm a bit of Mazda fanboi!

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/14/20 8:40 a.m.
02Pilot said:

I'm pleased to see this, but not as pleased as if it were a pure (non-hybrid) arrangement with a manual (which is almost certainly not in the cards).

We shall see. I for one would consider one of these with a manual as a daily. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/20 8:41 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

What were the (I assume regulatory/emissions) changes that are bringing the I6's back?

4/14/20 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Mostly emissions- having all cylinders on one side is a bonus, and having 6 cylinders feed one catalyst also helps a lot.  I'm sure there's some efficiency, too- as being smoother means less mechanical losses- but that's pretty small.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/20 8:58 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Karacticus :

Mostly emissions- having all cylinders on one side is a bonus, and having 6 cylinders feed one catalyst also helps a lot.  I'm sure there's some efficiency, too- as being smoother means less mechanical losses- but that's pretty small.

That's a point I hadn't thought of. This is a company known for their utilization of the cumulative effect of small efficiencies.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/14/20 9:04 a.m.

Might be just in time to be my next car.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
4/14/20 12:59 p.m.

The straight six makes a lot of sense for a hybrid. I suspect that there would be smoother transition from battery to ICE compared to other layouts.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
4/14/20 1:03 p.m.

That's pretty awesome, I definitely think mild hybrid I6 drivetrains are a smart choice for that type of car.  Isn't Mercedes doing one for the AMG cars now too?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/20 1:19 p.m.

Would there also be manufacturing efficiencies through common parts and tooling on variations such as 3,4,5,6 cylinder blocks?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/14/20 1:27 p.m.

Swap into a Miata...

T.J. (FS)
T.J. (FS) MegaDork
4/14/20 1:58 p.m.

I like that Mazda always marched a bit to their own drummer. I-6 RWD hybrid. Sounds interesting. The looks of the car in the linked article seems very generic to me. I hope that is some sort of artist rendering and not a picture Mazda released. I think it is a Ford Fusion in the picture and they photshopped the Mazda badge on the front.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/14/20 2:04 p.m.

Another future sales flop. 

4/14/20 2:09 p.m.
Rons said:

Would there also be manufacturing efficiencies through common parts and tooling on variations such as 3,4,5,6 cylinder blocks?

If managers can maintain the discipline to do that, yes.  But that would mean 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 fixed displacement.

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/14/20 3:02 p.m.

I think it's a bit of a gamble given the herd mentality to run to more and bigger SUV's but maybe that will run its course.    I'd definitely consider one,  I think the current Mazda 6 is a good looking car if a bit marginal on power by current standards.   Rear wheel drive, an inline 6?  I'm listening.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
4/14/20 3:07 p.m.

I farkin love Mazda. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/14/20 4:18 p.m.

I'm excited to see this motor swapped into a Challenge Miata 10+ years from now. Ooh, hybrid challenge car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qt9i2jeqEsNlH9sxISNfCOUsJkjAV4InhZjHmrLjU0rLMMVuBhpLsLKODKzNKgJx