bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
5/9/13 2:12 p.m.

I’ve acquired a “project,” that’s going to need a little work. A guy at work was selling an ATV for CHEAP, needs some work, tells me an unbelievable price, says, “I need room worse than I need a project,” we’ve all heard it before. I think, “Dang that’s a good price, but I’ve got less room than he does, I know, I’ll tell SWMBO (my voice of reason), she’ll say no, and that’ll be the end of it.” I tell SWMBO about it, and she says, “Holy crap that’s a good deal, I want it, you could use another project, why haven’t you bought it yet?” I did NOT see that coming.

So I’m dragging it home first of next week and need to source some parts, probably going to do a new rotating assembly, thought of a stroker kit, but it’ll be “her” ATV, and won’t needed it, also depending on the condition of the cylinder/piston may need an oversized piston/bore.

I’ve been out of the ATV scene since around ’99, back then it was go to the dealer, or thumb through the Dennis Kirk catalogue.

Today I see Dennis Kirk is still around, and has a pretty descent website, RockymountainATVMC looks promising. What I’d like to see is something like RockAuto or FCP for ATVs. So where do you go for the best parts & prices these days?

• Lee
cdowd
cdowd Reader
5/9/13 2:52 p.m.

I use rockymountain for my dirt bike parts. there is also alot of parts on ebay. have fun with the project.

Chris

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/9/13 3:36 p.m.

Try your Googlefu. I found a boat place in FL that sells Honda lawn mower parts cheaper than anybody else.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
5/9/13 4:15 p.m.

I think this is only older Honda stuff:

http://www.dratv.com/

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/9/13 4:26 p.m.

There's a place called boats.net which has a division called Partzilla that sells motorcycle and ATV OE parts. They had the electric start idler gear for my XS650 when no one else did. http://www.boats.net/pages/meet-our-sister-partzilla.html

I've also dealt with powersports360.com with good results.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
5/13/13 12:49 p.m.

Ron Ayers and bikebandit crush Dennis Kirk

asetech
asetech GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/13/13 1:25 p.m.

What kind of ATV? Eastcoastatv has a huge selection of used parts (used them myself), rockymountainatv has good prices and selection, and anywhere online for OEM parts will be cheaper than the dealer.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/13/13 1:31 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: There's a place called boats.net which has a division called Partzilla that sells motorcycle and ATV OE parts. They

That's where I get my Honda mower parts from. In fact I have an order on the way right now.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
5/13/13 6:25 p.m.

Drug it home this afternoon. Yamaha 2 smoker... yeah it's a Blaster

Crappy cell phone pic shortly after loading it.

I've been told "what's wrong" with it, but I'm not letting myself pay any mind to any preconceived thoughts of someone else's diagnosis, though I do generally hold the previous owner's mechanic skills with pretty high regard.

• Lee
asetech
asetech GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/13/13 7:51 p.m.

Nice. Being a 2 stroke Yamaha it should be very easy to work on and the engines were the same for, oh, about 20 years. If the rear brakes give you trouble, just find a hydraulic conversion kit...it'll save you a headache.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/12/23 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon :

Just wanted to add a note of remembrance...

...to this obviously "canoey" post.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9EvUvLDfQn7WCeIYIAFDPiWoEVTumolvLgy4j2KYQgMdN2QBlUH17SQJbFdgPgv9