Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/21 5:28 p.m.

For my home theater, I have a projector that shoots onto a screen above the fireplace.  Temporarily, I have a framed-up piece of luan with projector fabric glued on it.  This way I can take it down if I want to see the pretty fireplace, but the goal was always to have a retractable screen so I'm not constantly moving rigid screen and trying to store it behind the couch.

I bought a 64" wide roll up blind and I plan to replace the cheap vinyl with projector screen fabric, but mounting it to the ceiling means that the screen will obscure the center channel speaker, but I'm concerned that the perforated screen will make things look terrible.  I only sit about 7' away from the screen.  Won't I notice every pore?

I thought about getting regular (non porous) screen fabric and adding a "window" with some light fabric in front of where the speaker is, but I'm concerned that when it rolls up it will make an impression on the screen.  I thought about taking a 1/4" hole punch and making a grid of holes in front of the speaker, but I'm afraid the stretching will make it droop or pucker.

So... feedback?  Anyone using an acoustically-transparent screen?  Is it obvious?  How much does it degrade the picture?

9/25/21 5:33 p.m.

Right now, the rigid screen fits here:

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/25/21 7:21 p.m.

Is that a center speaker at the ceiling? 

Relocate the speaker and then with a piano hinge pivot the rigid white panel to the ceiling for storage. 

Is the ceiling too weird of a place to store the rigid panel? 

How about a pull down screen like the type we used in elementary school with the film strip? 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/25/21 9:24 p.m.

I actually have one of those tripod roll up style versions that you can have to play with.  

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/21 3:05 a.m.

Why not just move the speaker forward and mount the screen behind it?

9/26/21 8:43 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Is that a center speaker at the ceiling? 

Relocate the speaker and then with a piano hinge pivot the rigid white panel to the ceiling for storage. 

Is the ceiling too weird of a place to store the rigid panel? 

How about a pull down screen like the type we used in elementary school with the film strip? 

Yes, that's a center channel.  The screen is already high enough that I don't want to go higher, and the ceilings are only 80".  I think having a 1" thick screen folded up on the ceiling would be super obvious and not very appealing.

The pull-down screen is exactly what I'm planning, but I don't want to mount it below the center speaker for two reasons.  1) I would have a grey stick hanging out in the middle of nowhere, and 2) I'm already at my shortest throw/smallest size on the projector.  If I have a 1" roll below the speaker, I won't have the vertical screen size I need.  I want to hang the screen from the ceiling so it's less visual when closed and allows for enough vertical for the projector

9/26/21 8:44 a.m.
APEowner said:

Why not just move the speaker forward and mount the screen behind it?

That's possible, but a lot of work.  The speaker is sitting on two shelf brackets, so it would have to come out a significant amount without tearing off the stone to remove the brackets.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/26/21 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I never saw the finished product of your fireplace. Looks terrific!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/26/21 9:28 a.m.

How about a retractable mounted under the mantle, so the viewing position is in front of the firebox?

(Not sure if you are too close to the heat)

tomtomgt356 (Tommy)
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/26/21 12:04 p.m.

A slight off the wall (off the ceiling?) idea. What about mounting to the mantle and pulling up? You could build out a box that looks like a thicker mantle to hide the screen, flip open the top and pull the screen up.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/26/21 12:20 p.m.
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) said:

A slight off the wall (off the ceiling?) idea. What about mounting to the mantle and pulling up? You could build out a box that looks like a thicker mantle to hide the screen, flip open the top and pull the screen up.

Or, build a "shelf" that the center speaker can look like it is sitting on, that hides the rolled up projector screen that you pull down for movies. 

9/26/21 3:35 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

How about a retractable mounted under the mantle, so the viewing position is in front of the firebox?

(Not sure if you are too close to the heat)

I like that, but I have a lot of fires in there.  Kinda nice to be able to see both.

9/26/21 3:36 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I never saw the finished product of your fireplace. Looks terrific!

Thank you!  I still have some trim to put around the stamped copper, but she's otherwise done.

9/26/21 3:44 p.m.
mtn said:
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) said:

Or, build a "shelf" that the center speaker can look like it is sitting on, that hides the rolled up projector screen that you pull down for movies. 

I like that, but the screen that is there now (the rigid one indicated in the second picture by blue lines) barely fits the image I have now.  If I were to build a 2" reveal to hide the roll, the image wouldn't fit on the screen.

I'm planning on basically putting two straps on the ceiling that the brackets for the screen can be easily taken down completely as well.  Roll it down for viewing, roll it up for not viewing, and remove it completely for entertaining.

I haven't come up with an actual way to mount the roll anywhere between the mantle and speaker that the roll itself won't be in the way of the projection.  I could move the projector closer to reduce the image size, but A) go big or go home, and B) I think I will run out of focus adjustment.

Yourself
Yourself New Reader
9/26/21 3:56 p.m.

In our previous house I installed some in-ceiling speakers. Maybe replace the center speaker with one in the ceiling in front of the screen? It is easier to install if you have attic space above, but should not be too difficult even if it is a closed ceiling. They are available in a wide variety of prices and quality.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/26/21 4:26 p.m.

Does the screen go beyond the edges of the mantle (left and right)?

Edit: the idea behind this question, (which I don't think will work) is as follows:

Put up some round wood columns on the corners of the mantle. Make them look like part of the design. They would run up to the ceiling.

Then, mount a projector screen on the left side of the mantle, vertically - this would be on the drywall next to your jackets.  Potentially have it on some telescoping hardware or something so you can pull it out beyond the left speaker. 

Pull it out around one column, hook it to the other column. The last foot or so of the screen would be mesh (and not part of the viewing area) so as to not impede the sound from that left front speaker.  

Honsch
Honsch Reader
9/26/21 5:11 p.m.

In my experience, center channel speakers are only necessary if your left and right mains are sub-par.

Are you sure you need it?

9/26/21 5:32 p.m.
mtn said:

Does the screen go beyond the edges of the mantle (left and right)?

Edit: the idea behind this question, (which I don't think will work) is as follows:

Put up some round wood columns on the corners of the mantle. Make them look like part of the design. They would run up to the ceiling.

Then, mount a projector screen on the left side of the mantle, vertically - this would be on the drywall next to your jackets.  Potentially have it on some telescoping hardware or something so you can pull it out beyond the left speaker. 

Pull it out around one column, hook it to the other column. The last foot or so of the screen would be mesh (and not part of the viewing area) so as to not impede the sound from that left front speaker.  

I really dig the idea, but that section of the mantle is 56" wide and the screen is 60"  I could put the posts further out on the narrower part of the mantle (closer to the L/R speakers), but that will pull the fabric across the stones and make a lumpy screen.

9/26/21 5:35 p.m.
Honsch said:

In my experience, center channel speakers are only necessary if your left and right mains are sub-par.

Are you sure you need it?

Enough so that I spent $300 on the best Polk center channel there is.  Dolby separates out the voices and puts them in the center channel, so it's not just a factor of good L and R (which these are fantastic), it's a whole package/soundstage thing.

Curse my musicians ears.

9/26/21 5:53 p.m.

I'm wondering if I should just get my screen material, cut it to the screen size I need, then attach a foot or two of some kind of mesh to the top

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0WHEswbmQGCoBiK5dD3R70wBWvWx6wd7Uh4jPUiTVcPemWHSze6lfA19SymdcGGY