dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
12/12/19 11:10 a.m.

Hey everyone,

My stepson is taking auto collision at his local vocational school and doing well and loving it. He sent me a NAPA auto parts flyer that had DeVilbiss paint gun kit for Christmas ideas.

How good is DeVilbiss and is there something better available. My budget is under $100 .

I don't think he needs a whole kit (might be happy with just a gun).

Thanks

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/12/19 11:16 a.m.

I know the production spray equipment I used at a factory job a million years ago was DeVilbiss brand.  It was "THE" brand back then. 

When I bought one, I opted for a cheap set from my local paint guy.  Works okay for my needs.

Maybe shop the Eastwood catalog?  Seems like they sell decent to pretty good stuff to enthusiasts. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/12/19 11:21 a.m.

And what's wrong with the 10 buck HF HVLP gun?

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
12/12/19 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

I don't know, what?  I think budget stuff would be fine as long as it works. I literally know nothing though which is why i'm asking

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/19 11:24 a.m.

The HF gun does pretty darn well. I've had better luck with the smaller one than the big one, but both do a reasonable job. I did a couple of cars with them before I picked up a used DeVilbliss.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
12/12/19 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Hey Keith,

Are you talking about the Central Pneumatic stuff from HF?

Thanks

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/12/19 11:42 a.m.

The ten buck HF gun is my favorite, and I have 4 or 5 HF guns, including the best they had at the time 30 years ago. It's almost single use disposable, taking $5 worth of thinner to clean.  At very least, get him one for primer.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/12/19 11:47 a.m.

I have a Devilbiss Tekna and I really like it. One of the great features is a surface finish that sheds the paint when you go to clean it. Quality gun. It was way over $100

I also have about 3 or 4 cheap guns that I use for primer and high build. HF has a good handle on this market and I would not go looking elsewhere. Check with Tuna as he bought one from HF recently and seemed like a happy customer.

Pete

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/12/19 11:58 a.m.

Never used one but the purple handle Horrible Fright gun gets good comments.

When I started doing body work on the Spitfire, I found a Devillbiss gun at a Sears for under $100.   It’s not HVLP. 

Devillbiss makes a gun kit called Finishline which is going to be above  your limit, but is a good gun.  

EDIT:  It’s DeVilbiss.  

Keith Tanner
12/12/19 12:09 p.m.
dankspeed said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Hey Keith,

Are you talking about the Central Pneumatic stuff from HF?

Thanks

Probably :) It's been a few years, but they're either blue or purple if memory serves.

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
12/12/19 12:25 p.m.

I think they're referring to the chrome/purple HF guns. I've used a few and for the price you can get decent results. Make sure to clean them really well first as there are oils and metal shavings in most of them. They also seem to wear out rather quick so I treat them more as disposable guns.

I still wasn't able to lay down clear that didn't need cutting afterward with the HF guns; I'm usually able to with my higher tier guns. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/12/19 12:29 p.m.

I have a friend that uses the purple HF guns almost exclusively. He told me once that he'll shoot color with one until it "spits" paint no matter how you clean it. After that it shoots primer. He has a $700 gun for clear.

Keith Tanner
12/12/19 12:33 p.m.

I can't do clear well no matter how good the gun :)

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/12/19 1:14 p.m.

I know zilch about paint guns.  However, looks like DevilBliss has a discount program for VoTech students.  I would assume he's taking the school to do it professionally, so a HF gun might not work well for pro.  Great for a hobbyist, but someone who could be painting multiple hours a day, something rebuildable is probably preferred.

What if you got him a NAPA gift certificate to apply towards one of the more expensive guns?

-Rob

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
12/12/19 1:34 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

That's good to know regarding the discount for votech students. I've thought about doing the giftcard. That may be the way to go. 

He is planning on doing this as a profession so a quality gun at some point will be needed.

Thanks

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/12/19 1:49 p.m.

I have had the Eastwood cheap kit, and I currently have a HF cheap kit.  Not too much difference, but I am far from a body guy.  My fenders end up looking like they were painted with a Hershey bar.

I might go with a Devilbiss if you can afford it.  If he's getting into body work its one of those things where bad equipment can hold you back.  I noticed that with a recent biscuit joiner purchase.  I'm not that good at fine cabinetry work (but I'm getting better) so I figured it was time to own a biscuit joiner.  It was junk and the blade wobbled all around hogging out the biscuit slots.  I thought I was doing something wrong, but it was the equipment.  Switching to a good Dewalt cutter solved the whole problem... but because I was an amateur, I didn't know what the issue was.

I'm just thinking; if he wants to be a good painter, get the good gun to eliminate educational hiccups.  That way he won't be chasing air and volume settings wondering why HE can't get it right, when in reality the problem is cheap equipment.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/12/19 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

I'm at least as cheap as the next guy, but there is much wisdom in your words!

fullcircling
fullcircling New Reader
6/1/22 4:14 a.m.

Random fact: BMW Z4 roadsters were hand painted with Iwata guns, before production switched to using robots to do it.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/1/22 5:37 a.m.
dankspeed said:

In reply to rob_lewis :

That's good to know regarding the discount for votech students. I've thought about doing the giftcard. That may be the way to go. 

He is planning on doing this as a profession so a quality gun at some point will be 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/21/23 10:46 a.m.

I manage an auto body shop supply house and deal with these things every day. Devilibiss is going to be well above $100 for a solid gun. HF guns will probably work just fine for this application. Look up a brand called ATD Tools. Alot of their products are sold at our place and they are a good everyday cheapo gun for the price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
54VjtTJP6EoItCnri5a4fWWOVm12oy5Hvq6JvNsrUL0qZf4KVPVNNou5k6JKsJ28