1 2 3 ... 5
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/4/20 11:00 a.m.

https://www.cp24.com/world/massive-explosion-rocks-beirut-no-casualties-reported-1.5050500

The twitter videos are insane if you can find them..   

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/20 11:09 a.m.

Wow. That's big. I wonder what happened. Thankful nobody was hurt.

Fueled by Caffeine
8/4/20 11:14 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

multiple sites say it was a warehouse that stored firecrackers/fireworks...  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/20 11:16 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to tuna55 :

That seems fishy. That pressure wave hit all at once. It wasn't a bunch of them rapidly, it was one giant explosion. What could have caused them all to go off at once?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/20 11:16 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Reports are a fireworks warehouse.  Might make sense considering the secondary explosion

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/4/20 11:22 a.m.
tuna55 said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to tuna55 :

That seems fishy. That pressure wave hit all at once. It wasn't a bunch of them rapidly, it was one giant explosion. What could have caused them all to go off at once?

I saw one Twitter user say they thought it was a missile from a jet. 

Who knows in that part of the world.

Fueled by Caffeine
8/4/20 11:24 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I'm not gonna comment. Only what I've read.  The pink color coming from the explosion in other vids would indicate some sort of chemical going up. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/20 11:25 a.m.
z31maniac said:
tuna55 said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to tuna55 :

I saw one Twitter user say they thought it was a missile from a jet. 

Who knows in that part of the world.

I saw that as well, but I think that's bigger than a missile could accomplish

https://twitter.com/i/status/1290679120465199104

STM317
STM317 UberDork
8/4/20 11:41 a.m.

Better view that shows fireworks during initial blast:

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 11:48 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I was going to mention I just saw a video where there was clearly fire before the explosion- but what you posted was much, much better.  And by better, I mean showing what happened- terrible thing to happen.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/20 11:51 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

That one does look like fireworks initially. Then some rather large explosion. Maybe that's just the equivalent of a few million fireworks worth of powder all in one thing?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/20 11:55 a.m.

If they're storing fireworks maybe the air was a little heavy with stuff that's not exactly stable in the presence of large amounts of oxygen...

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 11:56 a.m.

Ever see the San Diego July 4 fireworks all go off at once in 2012? With all of them together, it looks more like a bomb with some sparkliness and less like a firework than I expected. 

A factory? Yeah, I believe that this could be a fireworks factory. Don't forget it was also daylight, so much harder to see the colors.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/20 12:01 p.m.

If it was a fireworks manufacturing plant... 

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/4/20 12:07 p.m.

See the grain silos next to the fire?  That can't have helped.

Mr_Asa
8/4/20 12:08 p.m.

I thought it was at a port? 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

If it was a fireworks manufacturing plant... 

I work in explosives here in the states, so there may be a huge difference between here and Lebanon, but as soon as a fire starts there are a E36 M3load of fire prevention methods.  That doesn't always help though

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/bae-spokesperson-explosives-detonated-after-roof-caught-fire-in-january-2019-holston-ammunition-explosion/

https://www.journalsaint-francois.ca/explosion-chez-general-dynamics/

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/4/20 12:42 p.m.

Wow.  Reporting 10 deaths.  That number is bound to increase.  Some they'll never find.  Thoughts and prayers.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/20 12:44 p.m.

Wow.  The shockwave was... Impressive

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/20 12:48 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Wow.  Reporting 10 deaths.  That number is bound to increase.  Some they'll never find.  Thoughts and prayers.

I'd have to say it will increase by a lot. That big hotel-looking building next to it has to have been completely obliterated. Even the cars on the highway in the foreground look to have been caught in the shock wave.

Terrible thing to see. crying

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/4/20 1:04 p.m.

There have been videos of fireworks factories going up in China, and they resulted in very large explosions. No sure why but I suspect it's a relatively slow explosion (e.g. not high speed explosives).  If you think of each box of fireworks like a grain of gunpowder in a bullet casing, that might be an analogy.

The pressure wave had to deadly to a good distance by the look of it.

Also.... that part of the world... I am a bit surprised there is much demand for recreational explosives (they tend to get a lot of the non-recreational type).

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/4/20 1:08 p.m.
aircooled said:

Also.... that part of the world... I am a bit surprised there is much demand for recreational explosives (they tend to get a lot of the non-recreational type).

Hypothetically speaking, I've seen a few fireworks in this country.  None of them were made in the USA.  I bet they export nearly everything they make.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 1:10 p.m.

Damn... that shockwave seemed strong enough that even the vehicle occupants on the highway might not have survived. 

Mr_Asa
8/4/20 1:22 p.m.
aircooled said:

There have been videos of fireworks factories going up in China, and they resulted in very large explosions. No sure why but I suspect it's a relatively slow explosion (e.g. not high speed explosives).  If you think of each box of fireworks like a grain of gunpowder in a bullet casing, that might be an analogy

Temperature as well as pressure helps with explosions.  If the boxes are all on fire and the temp is right one box going off can be the pebble that starts the avalanche.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/20 1:26 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Damn... that shockwave seemed strong enough that even the vehicle occupants on the highway might not have survived. 

Yes. That shockwave, being incredibly visible, was amazing. It was like an instant cloud developing at the speed of sound in a sphere.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/20 1:33 p.m.

I saw a rumor that there was a storage facility for large quantities of Ammonium Nitrate. If true, that means that this was basically Oklahoma City, but accidentally, and probably bigger.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LYFtfoPOI85tPZmZ5HTGMuiEn60LO1jAPIYvw124yk17Giw0UnHAnj2xOqjCi2i4