1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/10/20 12:16 p.m.

Pool tile has been picked and ordered 

and ordered floor for sunroom. Even though won't build sunroom till end of March, wanted to get floor picked out, as I will do smooth stucco on back of house (to make current exterior wall an interior wall), and wanted to pick out stucco color now while I do the backyard. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/10/20 6:05 p.m.

Did some staining today 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 12:56 p.m.

Stairs and deck done. For those of you following, here is the before and after

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 1:35 p.m.

Worked on bench 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/20 1:39 p.m.

That doesn't look too bad at all, congrats!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 1:50 p.m.
Antihero said:

That doesn't look too bad at all, congrats!

Couldn't have done it without immense help from all of you guys 

scheduled patio pouring on Thursday! 400sq feet 

wish me luck 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 2:36 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Looks great!

Suggestion...  You need to saw cut control joints into that as quickly as you can.  I suggest every 5'.  They should be at least 1/3 the depth of the concrete.

If you don't, it's gonna crack.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 2:41 p.m.

Also...

At every inside corner, you need a control joint.  For example, in your first picture, the little tail at the bottom right corner of the picture is definitely gonna break off randomly.   Add a control joint from that inside corner to the right hand edge. 

Control joints don't stop concrete from cracking.  Concrete ALWAYS cracks.  Control joints just control WHERE the concrete will crack (and leave a neat, finished appearance)

Antihero
2/11/20 3:58 p.m.
SVreX said:

Also...

At every inside corner, you need a control joint.  For example, in your first picture, the little tail at the bottom right corner of the picture is definitely gonna break off randomly.   Add a control joint from that inside corner to the right hand edge. 

Control joints don't stop concrete from cracking.  Concrete ALWAYS cracks.  Control joints just control WHERE the concrete will crack (and leave a neat, finished appearance)

I agree with all this, and diamond blades are cheap nowadays.

Remember when a diamond blades cost a few hundred bucks? Antihero remembers lol

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 5:26 p.m.

Thanks guys. How long do I have to cut the control joint? Days, weeks?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 6:09 p.m.

Hours. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 6:11 p.m.

Seriously, they should be cut as soon as possible. 

The concrete will develop internal stress cracks as it dries, from the drying process. Though you may not see them, the stress pathways are established early in the curing process. They develop into cracks later. 

I realize you can’t do it tonight. But I would get a saw and do it first thing in the  morning. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 6:14 p.m.

You are making great progress, and I applaud it. You are moving much quicker than I ever would have guessed. 

However, you may want to stop every once in a while and ask “What do I need to know next?”  There are things I would have shared (and I’m sure AntiHero would have also) that may have helped, but you moved quickly.

Like sawcutting control joints. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 6:17 p.m.
SVreX said:

Hours. 

Getting out there now!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 6:17 p.m.

Before you pour the next section (which may matter more visually), make sure you ask us about re-entrant corners. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 6:18 p.m.

Dang!  Are you for hire?? wink

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 6:20 p.m.
SVreX said:

You are making great progress, and I applaud it. You are moving much quicker than I ever would have guessed. 

However, you may want to stop every once in a while and ask “What do I need to know next?”  There are things I would have shared (and I’m sure AntiHero would have also) that may have helped, but you moved quickly.

Like sawcutting control joints. 

Definitely appreciate that. I work a week on and week off schedule. So for example, starting tomorrow, there will be 0 progress for a week. 

Once I get back, and before spring break (heading to Egypt with kids), to do are:

• Pour concrete for Patio to raise it 3 inch
  • Finish painting all fence (254 feet)
  • Install pool coping
  • Install pool tile

BREAK

• Pool pebbles
  • Artifical turf (1200 sq ft front and back)
  • Front stone veneer

SPRING BREAK

• Build 400 sq feet sunroom

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 6:20 p.m.
SVreX said:

At my skill level, I have to PAY YOU, to let me work for you. Ok, gotta go do the cutting!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 6:21 p.m.
SVreX said:

Before you pour the next section (which may matter more visually), make sure you ask us about re-entrant corners. 

That section (patio floor), will have a Vinyl 20mm flooring on top. So give it some thought, and give your advice on what to do on that concrete. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 6:21 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
SVreX said:

At my skill level, I have to PAY YOU, to let me work for you. Ok, gotta go do the cutting!

Works for me!wink

Antihero
2/11/20 6:26 p.m.

The morning would work for cuts, it'll unravel a bit now and won't be the cleanest cut as green as it is

Antihero
2/11/20 6:29 p.m.

But SVrex has a point, I wasn't even sure if you were pouring today lol

Otherwise I would have probably steered you towards flying your joints with the clamp on joiner I mentioned above

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 6:34 p.m.

20mm vinyl flooring...

I am assuming you mean vinyl plank flooring.  I wouldn't do anything different for concrete under a vinyl floor- in fact, I might work HARDER at the finish.  Unevenness and discrepancies in the concrete will telegraph through the vinyl and be visible in the finished floor.

I would also double check the manufacturer's specs and warranties for exterior applications for both the flooring AND the glue.  The stuff is waterproof, but I've never used it outside, and the couple of manufacturer's specs I just read didn't offer exterior applications.  My concern would be the glue could let loose and the vinyl would lift, and probably take the floor leveler with it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/11/20 7:24 p.m.
SVreX said:

20mm vinyl flooring...

I am assuming you mean vinyl plank flooring.  I wouldn't do anything different for concrete under a vinyl floor- in fact, I might work HARDER at the finish.  Unevenness and discrepancies in the concrete will telegraph through the vinyl and be visible in the finished floor.

I would also double check the manufacturer's specs and warranties for exterior applications for both the flooring AND the glue.  The stuff is waterproof, but I've never used it outside, and the couple of manufacturer's specs I just read didn't offer exterior applications.  My concern would be the glue could let loose and the vinyl would lift, and probably take the floor leveler with it.

Yes vinyl plank flooring
they say it's waterproof and perfect for outdoors

it will be the enclosed glass sunroom floor, so not really "outdoors"

I will ask them about the glue 

here are the products (we haven't picked color yet) - I still have to smooth out and restucco our back wall to make it an "interior wall", so floor works with that stucco color

I

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/20 7:26 p.m.

If it’s enclosed, no problem

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XkWCVWDY9adKlcO75lfnQBGnePTHEQTJ7bpjaCR9RRMPGdLqcOsMaecdJayli4E5