1 2 3 ... 8
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/19 12:38 p.m.

I'm a big classic rock/folk lover, but there are some bands that everyone loves and I just don't.  What are some of yours in your favorite genre?

Early Rolling Stones.  Later stuff is great, but early stuff like Under My Thumb is just cheese.
Pink Floyd.  If I wanted to hear boring, slow, songs all on 2 chords, I'll listen to a homeless guy mumbling on heroin
38 Special.  Boring.  Bubble gum that has lost its flavor is more exciting.
Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Good old fashioned southern racism
Any of the 80s big hair bands - Winger, Whitesnake, Cinderella, Crue, Poison, Leppard, Ratt, GnR, Skid Row, Warrant.  All glam, no talent.
The Who.  Some neat stuff, but meh.  I'm all about artsy stuff, like Zappa, but the Who is artsy for the sake of trying to be artsy without the balls to back it up.  See also: Silent Lucidity by Queensryche.
ZZ Top.  It's like they're trying to do blues, but really they're just old white guys playing one chord.
Eagles.  God, kill me now.  The recipe is there; harmony, poetry, guitar... but it's like jell-o that never sets.  It's just slimy, cherry flavored goo.

Sound off.... who do you not like in your genre?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/23/19 12:45 p.m.

Damn dude... you hate everything. cheeky

For me, it's probably the Grateful Dead and Phish.  There are a couple of Dead songs I don't mind, but they definitely aren't a band I actively listen to and when I do hear them they lose their novelty quickly...

Of bands of more recent times, 311 makes my skin crawl... 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/23/19 12:56 p.m.

I am with you on the Rolling Stones and the Who.  They certainly have some good songs, but I don't get the general LOVE.

Lynyrd Skynyrd and most of those "Guitar Hero" bands that I call Trash Rock or Bar Rock... ich.  I might just be that they have historically been WAY overplayed on radio, but I have had enough.  I hate the obligatory screeching guitar solos.  Might be the reason I don't even listen to music stations anymore.

Not a fan of Grateful Dead or Phish, but I don't hate them.  It's like country for me (maybe exluding the new "pop" stuff).  I am not a fan, but I don't find it bad.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork

I can’t agree with all your hates but my #1 is Kiss.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork

Just burnt out on the Beetles.  

Kansas - if I hear “Dust in the wind” one more time.....

Bad Company

Love Skynyrd - can’t do S H Alabama any more   

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/19 12:57 p.m.

Queen.  I never really liked them, despite growing up in the '70s.  I am so tired of hearing Queen and hearing about Queen, and especially given the renaissance / rediscovery they've had over the last year.  I'm glad the furor is finally dying down again.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/23/19 12:58 p.m.

I can't stand AC/DC

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/19 1:01 p.m.

berkeleying Slipknot. Takes 9 people to sound as bad as all the other bands with only 4. 

Actually, most "metal" that actually gets airplay is pretty berkeleying weak garbage, but then again, everything that gets radio play is weak garbage regardless of genre. That whole "appeal to the lowest common denominator" thing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/19 1:01 p.m.

Oh, I despise most popular '70s power pop - Boston, Foreigner - especially Foreigner - Kansas, Journey, and all the rest of those interchangeable bands that sold a bazillion records.

I don't know if he qualifies as a band, per se, but I loathe every note Billy Joel ever wrote, played, sang, or even thought.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/23/19 1:02 p.m.

Rolling Stones

Beastie Boys

KISS

**Edit**

Thanks for reminding me: berkeleying Billy Joel. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/23/19 1:05 p.m.

The Grateful Dead, Phish, 311, and Dave Matthews Band all make me cringe. That deep rooted disdain went back to high school, when all the "trustafarians" in my town wouldn't shut up about how good they were. 

But that stuff pales in comparison to Pop Country. I just can't with any of it. Not a big Country guy by any means, and I can get down with some of the old classics (Cash, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed, etc) depending on the mood, but the current cookie cutter Pop Country stuff is not for me.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/23/19 1:08 p.m.

Nirvana is one of my top bands I hate, just cannot stand Kurt Cobain's whiney voice or any of the lyrics of their songs. Pearl Jam is a close second. Godsmack is pretty far up there too. Every one of their songs is the same exact message of "I'm a badass, you're a bitch" just said in different words.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/23/19 1:10 p.m.
JamesMcD said:

Beastie Boys

The door is over there --------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/23/19 1:11 p.m.

The beatles..  It's ok music.. It's just not great.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/23/19 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I have a close friend that performs and writes traditional country. He got my appreciating good traditional country which got me hating what he refers to as "bro country" even more. 

Also steel guitar needs to be more of a thing in 2019.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/23/19 1:15 p.m.

Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Beatles
Phish
Grateful Dead
Bill Joel
KISS

But I'm also the same guy who has a signed drum head from Paul Mazurkiewicz of Cannibal Corpse hanging in his bar.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
8/23/19 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Are you sure you like that genre? Maybe you've been misinformed.

RUSH

Kansas

Heart

Chicago

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/23/19 1:17 p.m.
NickD said:

Nirvana is one of my top bands I hate, just cannot stand Kurt Cobain's whiney voice or any of the lyrics of their songs. Pearl Jam is a close second.

Yup! Grunge sucked. I'd add Alice N Chains and S.T.P. too. Also 99% of Radiohead.

Dave Grohl and the Chili Peppers are the only decent things that came out of grunge/early 90s alternative Rock.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/23/19 1:17 p.m.

I don't like anything that's been mentioned thus far so I will add Bruce Springsteen.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/23/19 1:23 p.m.
STM317 said:
NickD said:

Nirvana is one of my top bands I hate, just cannot stand Kurt Cobain's whiney voice or any of the lyrics of their songs. Pearl Jam is a close second.

Yup! Grunge sucked. I'd add Alice N Chains and S.T.P. too. Also 99% of Radiohead.

Dave Grohl and the Chili Peppers are the only decent things that came out of grunge/early 90s alternative Rock.

Grohl is radio, pop rock, as well RHCP not putting out anything but a song here or there that is decent in the last 24 years. Anytime I think of Radiohead, I'm reminded of the Episode of SouthPark where Cartman makes the kid eat his parents. I don't care for anything but a few songs by them.

STRONGLY disagree with Alice in Chains though.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/23/19 1:24 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:
JamesMcD said:

Beastie Boys

The door is over there --------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>

And what, pray tell, is the title of this thread?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/23/19 1:30 p.m.

I hate Rush. Can't stand the lead singer's voice.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/23/19 1:30 p.m.

RUSH, it's not that I hate them, I just think they are massively overrated.  They have the most obsessively rabid fans who believe they are the greatest thing ever.

Oh, and to the OP Curtis.  Pink Floyd and the Who!  You are dead to me. Duke, ditto you for Queen.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/19 1:31 p.m.

There are bands and performers that I don't like, but none that I hate. To me, you have musical talent if you can play a kazoo in time ( because I have less than none). There are plenty that I don't understand the appeal. 

• Zappa, Tom Waits, and other "experimental" artists. WTF? I had friends really into them but I never understood the appeal.
  • Most rap these days. 3 minutes of "uh, uh, yeah" is not an intro. And why must every other song have a break for a rapper? You're no Billy Danze, stay out of my music you talentless hack.
  • I have to weigh in for my wife with Reojournchicagon. Its her term for REO Speedwagon, Journey, Chicago, Rush, Boston, and all that whole genre. She says there was no reason for any of it. (She is of course insane, Journey is amazing, but she's cute so whatever). 
  • Metal, speed metal, death metal...you can keep all of it, it's not music as far as I'm concerned. 
  • Jazz. There is a broad spectrum of Jazz and some I like, but most-like improvisational jazz-makes me wish I was deaf.
  • Tuvan throat singing. With the exception of Manas of course, it's not for me. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/23/19 1:32 p.m.
Duke said:

Oh, I despise most popular '70s power pop - Boston, Foreigner - especially Foreigner - Kansas, Journey, and all the rest of those interchangeable bands that sold a bazillion records.

I am not sure many have great love for Foreigner anymore.  That bad was pretty marginal when it was popular.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RgtP2J7vQc3s9AYf72Eq0ww65AyR36gNFm4NmnO2pgz62WlQRAUsOrzsxcIMSbkA