1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/13/21 2:25 p.m.

If we're talking metal, how about Concrete, my cousin's band. They're out of Albany, New York. (He the one with the red/black guitar.)

David S. Wallens
7/13/21 7:35 p.m.

And since one cannot live by metal alone....

Tierney Tough rules and I'm not saying that just because I'm currently wear a T-shirt from The Pauses, one of her other musical ventures. 

I've heard that Ume's big in their hometown of Austin. We saw them open for The Sword. Totally nailed it.

A buddy in the music biz said to meet him at a club in New York City. The 1865 were playing. Did not disappoint.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/13/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Uncle Acid is great! Deaths Door has probably my favorite opening lyric " I don't know what i hold in my hand? Could it be that I'm evil?"

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
7/13/21 9:16 p.m.

Leaving metal behind (why on earht would you want to do that?) I've always loved the Skalmold and bronze age minimalist bands like Wardruna and Heilung. They really put voice as instrument in the forefront and are bands you experience rather than listen to.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/13/21 10:58 p.m.

Fireball Ministry is solid stuff. Not sure what they are up to these days but there was a solid Canadian band called Sheavy that sounded like a carbon copy of 70s Sabbath down to the singer.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/14/21 6:52 a.m.

Heart mixed with Halestorm and Evananescence.

https://youtu.be/5jx1cpNY6v0

The lead singer is Moriah Formica. She was a contestant on that spinning chair show. Her solo work and covers are also worth a listen. I don't think she's even 21 yet.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/14/21 8:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And since one cannot live by metal alone....

Tierney Tough rules and I'm not saying that just because I'm currently wear a T-shirt from The Pauses, one of her other musical ventures.

I'm willing to hear more but those glasses put her dangerously close to Lisa Loeb territory.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/14/21 9:21 a.m.

Speaking of metal, and no label, my close friends King's Peak are out of Atlanta. I played with them until they made the move to try and make the dream happen. I'm obviously a bit biased, but the music is honestly very good. 

David S. Wallens
7/14/21 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Tierney makes darn good music.

Cchambers13
Cchambers13 New Reader
7/14/21 6:41 p.m.

Few that don't come up in regular conversation.

PNW grunge metal-

Red Fang:

Instrumental melancholy rock-

Pelican:

80s death electronica-

Lorn:

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
7/14/21 7:46 p.m.

Is Clutch still considered "off the radar"?

I fairly recently discovered R.L. Burnside from a random pandora radio suggestion. Wish I had heard of him sooner, but sadly it seems like he passed away after a long Blues career without receiving much recognition. 

In reply to Cchambers13 :

Came in here to mention Red Fang, glad to see they're already represented.

7/14/21 8:15 p.m.

Pelican is great too, Strung Up From The Sky is fantastic

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/14/21 10:08 p.m.

Jaya the Cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pzh4SoDWCQ

Song reminds me of my time in PR in the 90s.

Claff
Claff Reader
7/14/21 10:58 p.m.

I don't know how I stumbled on J-rock (Japanese rock) a few years ago, but one of the best I found is Band-Maid

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/15/21 5:05 p.m.

Caro Emerald?

sheesh, I cant believe I just admitted that.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
7/15/21 8:54 p.m.

Boston area pop punk, Rebuilder

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/16/21 1:58 p.m.

Some more heavy stuff I dig that people may not know of:

Harakiri For The Sky

It's Metal, but what genre? It's tough to classify, but I would classify as Progressive MeloDeath with some Folk and Black Metal influences. These guys write beautiful stuff. Their last two albums are top notch.

Elder
I've been a fan of these guys since they first started out, when they were a Boston based act. I saw these guys in a freaking burrito joint! They started off as a Stoner Doom-style band, but have organically transformed into something else entirely with elements of Krautrock in their sound. They are one of my favorites, and they are based out of Germany these days. Beautiful, sprawling songwriting here. 

Their stuff is so different from their beginning to present day that I'll give you two videos:

Spirit Adrift
These guys are starting to catch fire now, but you may not have heard of them. Traditional Metal that would be welcome on a bill with Ultimate Sin-era Ozzy and Seventh Son-era Maiden. Great riffs and songwriting, and good stewards of heavy music. I'm a huge fan of theirs, and you will probably be too after giving this a listen.

Svalbard
Heavy-as-BERK, Melodic Hardcore-influenced awesomeness hailing from Great Britain. This might be David S. Wallens's new favorite band. Their past two albums are incredibly awesome. Here's a live set from them.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/16/21 2:38 p.m.

I just happened on a live concert by WAR (Lowrider, All Day, etc.)  It's going on right now, great music for a hot summer day.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCn7uXElnH0

David S. Wallens
7/16/21 3:33 p.m.

How about some louder stuff for a Friday?

Maid of Ace out of England. We saw them here in Florida. Loud, fast.

Pinky Doodle Poodle out of Japan although sometimes based in Athens, Ga.

And from Denver, In the Whale--currently on tour, too. (Way loud for just two dudes.)

David S. Wallens
7/16/21 4:13 p.m.

Hmmm, not sure about Svalbard. I admit, I'm very yes/no when it comes to music. That's almost a bit too grating for me. 

But here is my newest favorite band: Lapeche out of Brooklyn. They're on a buddy's record label, and I had never heard of them until he recently shared this video on his personal FB. It's the total package for me: dark yet jangly. I got both albums, and they've been in heavy rotation here in my office since. 

David S. Wallens
7/16/21 4:17 p.m.

But The Crown, out of Trollhättan, Sweden, totally grabbed me: fast, tight and melodic. (Props to Danica Roem with the recommendation.)

7/16/21 11:28 p.m.

Grand Magus 

https://youtu.be/PlWmTOPcZoU

Amorphis

https://youtu.be/CleR2nYASdo

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/17/21 7:31 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Both of these bands rule. Grand Magus has some choice tunes. Almost like a Viking version of Deep Purple. Been listening to Amorphis for years as well. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/17/21 7:32 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The live show I posted from Svalbard is a little rough around the edges and extra gritty. Their studio albums are well produced though and you might want to give those a try. 

MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/17/21 11:54 p.m.

Cosmo Sheldrake is weird in a very catchy way ("the moss" is a good place to start). Poor Man's Poison is good. I've been on a Dead South kick lately too. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
862wxt3xXc4XIVuaNdRNamN8JQFvrPth9u475ShfNxaMt4BoWJdNVgyorAVvwLgg