ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/17/08 7:33 p.m.

pork is for eatin...

Beef is for making belts out of...

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/17/08 8:33 p.m.

Beef is tasty, but pork is much more forgiving. If I'm cooking them myself, pork, if there's a skilled technician (aka cook/chef) at the helm, beef.

Bryce

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
6/17/08 8:56 p.m.

Oh, come now. As both a trained chef and dedicated food enthusiast, I must say this is akin to an apple-to-oranges comparison. It's like saying a Miata is superior to a WRX wagon - both are good in their proper place. Sure, a giant Flintsone's size beef rib, slow smoked 'til it's falling off the bone is damned tasty, but would you really want to give up a dry-rubbed slab of St. Louis cut ribs?

I thought not.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/17/08 8:59 p.m.

Had to give JG my vote. Beef ribs rule, pork ribs are what you eat when you can't get good beef ribs.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
6/17/08 9:03 p.m.

People actually eat pork? No thanks, I'll pass.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/17/08 9:06 p.m.
ACarlson wrote: Oh, come now. As both a trained chef and dedicated food enthusiast, I must say this is akin to an apple-to-oranges comparison. It's like saying a Miata is superior to a WRX wagon - both are good in their proper place. Sure, a giant Flintsone's size beef rib, slow smoked 'til it's falling off the bone is damned tasty, but would you really want to give up a dry-rubbed slab of St. Louis cut ribs? I thought not.

No no. I'm certainly not here to say anything disparaging about our friend the pig, and the fine ribs he gives us. In fact, I'd say, if we're talking about averages, pork ribs are the superior choice. Almost any cut can be prepared rather impressively.

On the other hand, lower cut beef ribs can be a little tough and stringy.

But, if you're talking about nice, generously cut beef back ribs... I mean, come on. It's like the best part of a prime rib, but with a built-in handle.

jg

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/18/08 6:01 a.m.

You can beat the tough and stingy part by putting them in a covered pan with BBQ sauce and a little Guiness. Heat it low and long, falls off the bone.

Mmmm..... it's what's for breakfast.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/18/08 6:30 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zJSgHDnpw

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 7:54 a.m.

Pork Loin > Garlic Butter Venison Backstrap > Beef Ribs.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
6/18/08 7:57 a.m.

whatever....I eat both.

and now I'm hungry. were is the nearest rib joint from here?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/18/08 8:18 a.m.

J.G., you philistine, the answer is always pork. Because the pork has the pork fat, and I could drink that stuff.

Not that I don't appreciate a good cut of beef, or maybe even more so a poor cut of beef cooked long and slow, but there's something about the way pig cozies up to fire and sauce that's damn near magical. And nothing takes a drink like pig--whiskey, beer, wine, you name it, pig likes to stew in a bit of it.

No, I cannot get behind your statement at all, sir.

Margie

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/18/08 8:36 a.m.

Well, I was going to bring some leftovers to the office, but, now...

jg

Duke
Duke Dork
6/18/08 8:49 a.m.

Beef ribs != pork ribs. I'm going with the 'apples and oranges' analogy above. Both are excellent in their proper season and application, but they are not interchangeable, and neither one is always better than the other.

Just like sometimes you make chili with ground sirloin, and other times you make it with smoked pork chops.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/18/08 8:51 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Well, I was going to bring some leftovers to the office, but, now...

Humph. You bring leftovers to the office all the time. And eat them in front of me, extolling their virtues, while I work my way through some pathetic can of soup or something.

Margie

alfadriver
alfadriver New Reader
6/18/08 9:31 a.m.

For some reason, I can't remember the last time I had beef ribs.

Beef brisket, OTOH... that rocks.

I'll eat both as long as the person cooking them is skilled.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 9:39 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: Well, I was going to bring some leftovers to the office, but, now...
Humph. You bring leftovers to the office all the time. And eat them in front of me, extolling their virtues, while I work my way through some pathetic can of soup or something. Margie

The American dream, the employees eat steak while the boss eats bread crumbs... JG, Margie wants a raise ;)

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/18/08 9:43 a.m.

what about cedaer plank grilled, wild king samon?

sorry bout that, i work in sea food

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/18/08 9:45 a.m.

There is no better or worse; it's all good!

As a signature file on www.thesmokering.com states:

All of god's creatures have a place in this world; on my plate, right next to the taters.

Personally, I almost always have a (full packer) brisket on the smoker overnight and fluctuate between the two above mentioned ribs, butts, turkey legs and salmon depnding on wht whims of my family and neighbors, as well as what is on sale that week. Yup, All of god's creatures really do have a place in this world.

Jack

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/18/08 9:52 a.m.
ACarlson wrote: It's like saying a Miata is superior to a WRX wagon

A Miata IS superior to a WRX wagon!

But seriously. Pork Ribs FTW. Has anybody ever BEEN to Andy Nelson's BBQ restaraunt here in Hunt Valley? You'd die of joy.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
6/18/08 10:42 a.m.

The buffet restaurant we go to has a 'prime rib bar'. After the beef is roasted, they cut the ribs off, and keep them in a separate trough right in front of the prime rib. My meals there ussually end with many trips to the prime rib bar, for the beef bones. My wife wraps up the leftover bones, and brings them home to the dogs. They don't seem to mind.

The best pork ribs we have ever eaten, were at a little roadhouse style place called Texas barbecue, near the hotel for the 03 challenge. My wife wants to go back to Fla., just for tose ribs.

seann
seann New Reader
6/18/08 1:12 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: what about cedaer plank grilled, wild king samon? sorry bout that, i work in sea food

FTW! And no sissy indirect heat business, I want that plank seriously smoking so the whole neighborhood knows what their missing.

a quick marinade in olive oil, lemon juice, s & p, and fresh basil before the plank, and you have my favorite Chinook steak. Trout and stealhead do pretty nice too.

seann
seann New Reader
6/18/08 1:16 p.m.

I should clarify that I'm from the NW so good BBQ is not easy (understatement) to find. The fish, however, I can get fresh out of the water. I'm going to have to learn how to do beef and pork some day.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 3:53 p.m.

Here in the NE, good BBQ can be hard to find as well, so thanks for that! Now I am hungry for beef, and the superior, pork ribs!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/19/08 9:50 a.m.
seann wrote: I should clarify that I'm from the NW so good BBQ is not easy (understatement) to find. The fish, however, I can get fresh out of the water. I'm going to have to learn how to do beef and pork some day.

Seann,

Everything you need to get started is available here in the PNW. check out www.thesmokering.com.

I started smoking a year or so ago, because I couldn't find decent barbeque here. Everyone here raves about Dixie;s in Bellevue, but I am not a fan. There are a few OK resturants around, but they are expensive. Go for it and don't hesistate to PM me if you are close and want some first hand experience.

I have smoked brisket, ribs (pork and beef) turkey legs, meat loaf (yum), salmon, butts (pulled pork) and lamb.

Jack

Covington, WA

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
us1QECLzwdlPPovc52VkQ6ixHepplQyqbu3vfsqF6a4UJqe3pg8aVdqI9eKEF2oZ