1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/31/17 8:16 a.m.

How do you retrieve your photos from PBucket?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/17 10:30 a.m.

Download them to your hard drive.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/31/17 11:07 a.m.

@ I'm using Flickr. Only thing I don't like so far is that I can't link the image file from my phone. The interface is definitely not as user-friendly as Photobucket was, but I'm starting to get used to it. And it's free.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/31/17 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I looked at a lot of sites and read the terms of service. Flikr had some specific language in the terms of service that warned against using them for third party hosting. I choose not to risk it.

I'm testing the waters with imgbb.com so far so good and the interface is very intuitive for me. We'll see how it works long term. It's laid out a lot like PB was.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
7/31/17 11:28 a.m.

Testing it out from my phone.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
7/31/17 11:30 a.m.

That works better than PB as I couldn't use it from my phone.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
7/31/17 8:43 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: Use pair.net for hosting, You can even have your own forum or shopping cart. Very well connected, excellent uptime, full backups. I use Joker.com for domain registration for price and political location DO NOT use Godaddy or other sites who register your domain and rent it to you.

Years ago I did Godaddy for a year with two domain names. Never did anything with them. I'd like to resurrect them. Am I screwed? Or can I get them with Joker?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
10/10/18 9:58 a.m.

dusting this off again.  figured out i have amazon prime and can store photos there, but then I found out they don't have any features to allow hosting for forums posting.  I also have saved some photos on Google Drive before, but I don't think they have a hosting feature for forum embedding either.  

What's the easiest host site to use anymore?  

I tried using imgur but it seems really clunky.  I hate that it's trying to pretend to be a social media site, and I have to upload things as "posts" and then I can't add additional photos to those sets, or delete just individual ones.  I guess it works if I give zero thought towards organization/folders, and just upload/post on an individual basis as needed, but it seems a fairly terrible interface.  

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
10/10/18 10:42 a.m.

The easiest is your own hosting account, that way you own it and have full control.

If you already have a hosting site for web pages it will not cost you anything, or very little if you have to upgrade your account to cover the traffic.

I get 500mb of disc, and 40gb of bandwidth, and 400mb for mail, 2 mailing lists for $115 a year from Pair.net on a FreeBSD machine with a full shell support  or web access (including mail) and it is all backed up and I can access it from anywhere. 24/7/365 support.

After 20 years I finally broke 12% disc usage and have 0% on the others.

If I migrated all my photos I might hit 40% of my disc allotment.

You will have to make a page with thumbnails or build an index somehow to find your photos but that is a small price. There may be tools made already to make this easier.

Pair will do domain registration and transfers if you wish.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 10:58 a.m.

BTW, you can upload photos directly here, if that helps.

Also Google photos can work for forum posts, etc.  its just that you need to add "-tmp.jpg" to the end of the URL for the picture.

I'm not sure how much longer that will work though.

That said, most free picture posting sites won't make this easy since they want people to go to their site for the ad revenue.  Ultimately your own host is the ideal, the trick is making it work with your mobile devices, which is where I'm at right now.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 11:47 a.m.

I still have thousands of images on photobucket. They still work. 

Most of my new stuff is going on Smugmug. Their site is a little less clunky and their phone app works very well. 

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/18 4:28 p.m.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/05/17/photobucket-drops-pricing-that-angered-millions.html

"On September 13, 2017, Denver Better Business Bureau gave the company an "F" rating, the worst they issue, citing fifteen complaints related to the change in terms and no response from the company"

Just a follow up, I'm glad that CEO is gone but talk about lighting a company on fire and burning it to the ground. Most people aren't going to trust Photobucket ever again.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
2/18/21 6:04 a.m.
nathanmark said:

You can use [canoeandhost]. It is easy to use site and allow umlimited [paddling].

Pimp and host sounds like a different kind of hospitality site.

Paddle your pimpin zombie canoe?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LDhXk7tyqr9psNBjUMvsy68zQlDr1fUt4KTCfqNZ7WUBJhUa3v37S26r6budpgwu