alexfromspec
alexfromspec
12/15/13 4:23 p.m.

Hi guys,

My friends and I have been working on a web app name SPEC: that helps car enthusiasts like yourselves to capture the details of your project cars parts and setups so you can show off your car or get help when you are stuck fixing things.

We would love to see what you think about this idea, and if anyone is interested to sign up for private beta.

http://www.specapp.cc

With your help, we can make SPEC: better for all car enthusiasts! Please Join us and spread the words! Thank you so much for your time and help!

Cheers,

Alex

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/15/13 4:37 p.m.

Relevant canoe. Leaving this one be for now.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/15/13 7:09 p.m.

probably ok … signs his name, and uses it in his username

time will tell

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/15/13 7:09 p.m.

A new Cardomain?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/15/13 9:06 p.m.
mndsm wrote: A new Cardomain?

there can (and should) only be one cardomain...

but yet another forum where car people can go to discuss car stuff will just get lost in the noise of the already established sites that cater to both specific kinds of cars and cars in general... so good luck, i guess..

edit: now that i've actually clicked the link... it's just another site with links to other sites where you can buy the stuff to make the "mods" you want, and i'm sure they help you out in the future by telling google or some other company about your shopping habits so as to make sure you can have the proper ads targeted at you and spam emails sent to you...

alexfromspec
alexfromspec New Reader
12/16/13 11:55 a.m.

Hey guys thanks for the response.

The purpose of the site (SPEC:) is:

1. To improve sharing/interaction between users. e.g. since they have a standardized profile, they can search specifically for other users that has the same parts/modifications. One of my friend ran into problem when fixing his car and need to ask for help urgently but couldn't find anyone with the similar parts and that kinda motivated him to build this site.

2. Help users better keep track of their modifications, (e.g parts, dates, price, pictures, etc) Most people I talked to keeps a log/notepad on what they've done to their cars so why not bring it online where it's accessible and more organized.

there can (and should) only be one cardomain...

Cardomain is cool but IMO its UI is kinda messy.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/16/13 12:11 p.m.
alexfromspec wrote: The purpose of the site (SPEC:) is: [....] 2. Help users better keep track of their modifications, (e.g parts, dates, price, pictures, etc) Most people I talked to keeps a log/notepad on what they've done to their cars so why not bring it online where it's accessible and more organized.

[giggle] You mean there are non-GRMers who also use the kitchen sink for a fuel tank?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/16/13 12:23 p.m.

Did Ranger50 put you up to this? I knew I was asking too many damn questions...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/13 12:26 p.m.

I could see how this could be useful, but GRMers are probably the worst bunch to test it on since we're all driving oddball vehicles full of even more oddball (and often custom-made) parts

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/16/13 12:27 p.m.

Custom-made is a loose term...

GameboyRMH
12/16/13 12:30 p.m.

I was trying to include everything from the high-end works of art we sometimes see in the build threads, to the ghetto-fabbing that we more often see in the build threads

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/16/13 2:13 p.m.

ghetto-fabrication is the perfect term.

GameboyRMH
12/16/13 2:15 p.m.

I think your Phaeton replica might count as both

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/13 3:31 p.m.

I'd like to see how many others have washing machine body panels or a chopped up Mercedes hood for a skidplate.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/16/13 6:22 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I'd like to see how many others have washing machine body panels or a chopped up Mercedes hood for a skidplate.

You left out the skid plate made from a speed limit sign. The inherent irony makes that - IMHO - the funniest race car part fabricated by a GRMer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PJxYDiJ7CFLGk51eJOmIo0WFYKtZ8AZAc1Tsb8T6tiDVlH2Wa0wlBRXKeRWIxShx