petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/14/16 3:54 p.m.

This one has not only stumped me, but our company's entire IT department...

I work remotely 100% now(previously I only worked remote occasionally). Our IT department has a VPN setup for all of us, and I can connect fine from my work-issued Win-7 Pro laptop.

On-site at our main office, I also have a remote PC setup that only I use(single-user Win-7 Pro). My username/password are the same for my local PC here, the VPN, and my remote PC(which is on-site in our office...yeah, that sounds a bit confusing now that I type it out).

Several weeks ago I started having a problem from my laptop(here with me) that intermittently I could no longer access all the folders on a network share(in our main office). It was seemingly random, as one moment it worked and the next it didn't. It was not affected by disconnecting/reconnecting to our VPN. I did not install any Windows Updates, update any drivers, or anything else that may have had an undocumented effect on connectivity/permissions.

What seems most odd to me is that the mapped drive was: \[ServerName][Folder1][Folder2] under which I had access to about 50 folders, each with numerous subfolders/files. Now I only have access to one specific directory and its files: \[ServerName][Folder1][Folder2][Subfolder1][Subfolder2][Subfolder3][Subfolder4][Subfolder5][Subfolder6][Subfolder7][Files]

But here's where it gets really weird...while I'm still logged into the VPN I can remote into my PC in the main office - and I have access to all the directories/files that I've always had. So it doesn't appear to be a permissions/share issue, as I can access everything fine from my on-site PC when I connect remotely to it.

I've tried numerous suggestions, and disproven other possibilities. So far I've updated registry settings in 3 different keys, tried Net Use from an elevated command prompt to disconnect/reconnect the share, cleared settings in Credentials Manager, confirmed NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected, and ensured Client for Microsoft Networks is installed and checked for all my network connections.

I've Googled it for hours, but most hits either relate to local networks/Homegroups, are related to XP and or Vista, result from a wireless router issue(FYI my laptop is wired in with CAT5e), or do not relate to the partial access issue I'm having. Has anyone here seen this, or recommend a good forum I could ask it on?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/14/16 4:06 p.m.

Sounds like a VPN problem to me. I always found it better to VPN in then RDT to my desk box/laptop and then work from there.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/16 4:07 p.m.

Is this a domain or a workgroup environment? Are you addressing the server by short name or using a FQDN?

If you do an ipconfig /all, is the DNS Suffix Search List the same on your laptop and desktop?

petegossett
7/14/16 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Many things I do. However my email is only setup on my laptop, which normally wouldn't be a problem if I could access my normal network shares.

petegossett
7/14/16 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Mike:

It's a domain & I'm using the full UNC name to connect. I'll check the DNS on both & update you.

Edit:

These are the ones listed on my laptop:

Windows IP Configuration: Primary DNS Suffix - [DomainName].com

PPP adapter VPN: Connection-specific DNS Suffix - [DomainName].com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix - [blank], DNS Servers - [my router's IP address]

This is on my remote pc:

Windows IP Configuration: Primary DNS Suffix - [DomainName].com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix - [DomainName].com, DNS Servers - [our gateway's IP address]

petegossett
7/15/16 9:00 a.m.

Bump: Anyone else encountered this before?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/15/16 9:02 a.m.

I'm going with DNS is not configured properly on the VPN tunnel connection. Are you running split tunneling?

But, register on Spiceworks.com and ask there.

petegossett
7/15/16 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

Thanks! I'll double-check the VPN DNS settings for my connection & check out Spiceworks.

gtoben
gtoben New Reader
7/15/16 1:43 p.m.

Try disabling offline files. That feature has caused a problem with the same symptoms for a few users at my office.

petegossett
7/18/16 9:15 a.m.
gtoben wrote: Try disabling offline files. That feature has caused a problem with the same symptoms for a few users at my office.

You nailed it with this suggestion. Damn Microsoft - I had no idea they were enabled.

gtoben
gtoben New Reader
7/18/16 10:29 a.m.

Glad you're up and running now :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
63Wh74DEdd0LYv76TBDcr5Mf0jemB2pn1oXGygcicfpOOydAqsGfepLn82cuDkWb