93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/17/21 9:48 a.m.

Talk to me about block garages. Not sure if it is a good idea in my case or not. I am going to build a 20x35 garage with 16 foot walls. Also it needs to have climate control. Given the cost of lumber right now, would block make sense? 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/17/21 9:52 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

16' is ridiculously tall. 

If you really need to go that high, I doubt block will be cheaper by the time you pay for the reinforcing, bond beams, and columns. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/17/21 9:54 a.m.

Block is thermal mass, but very hard to insulate well. 

In the South, it's not a bad idea, since you won't be heating the building, but location will matter. If it sits in direct sunlight, it's gonna get hot as crap, and stay that way. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/17/21 11:24 a.m.

To properly heat and/or cool a block building, I've completely filled the block with Perlite or Vermiculite. Uninsulated block, as stated above, is difficult in temps over 80 or under 50, it gets cold and hot and holds.

Why 16'? That's a tall building and once you figure the pitch of the roof, it could be another 6-12' tall at the center depending on code and snow load.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/21 11:42 a.m.

Lots of back end costs with block that should be considered.

Exterior finish?  Interior finish?  Insulation?  Wiring and plumbing routing?  More expensive door and window framing...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/17/21 12:10 p.m.

Ok so not doing block 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhlicplgenwEiOYSKhed5em6FDeRxh0ByifzcJpO7ItldH6PhZdzv8W3Vo0VWcwX