1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 83
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/21 1:24 p.m.

With no more Russian ammo coming in, I'm wondering how much the popularity of 7.62x39 is going to be affected. My anecdotal sample size of two people says they say they're going to be shooting a lot fewer rounds of it, and one of them is looking to get into reloading now.

(note: please keep discussion of this subtopic on topic, it can very easily get very political, and get the thread locked)

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/27/21 3:11 p.m.

I think the popularity of 7.62x39 will temporarily wane. There are a lot of people that really like the AK platform, but there are many reasons to go with the 5.45x39, which never caught on as strongly, here.  I think the popularity of 7.62x39 is based more on being cheap ammo than being good ammo. Once the surplus dried up, and the Russian ammo was pretty decent and pretty inexpensive, many other players did not try to join in. Now that the Russian's are blocked, many other players (countries that use 7.62x39 and are capable of manufacturing their own ammo) will step up. If quality is lower, it will still be purchased. We (as a country) are too big of a market. There is too much money to be made. I do not see domestic manufacturing stepping up to any great degree, since that is generally not the driving market segment.

I think the bigger hit, though for smaller group of people, will be in trying to find 5.45x39. It really only exists as steel cased, and it really only works well as steel cased, and domestic is generally not interested in making steel cased ammo.

Just my own ramblings and likely worth slightly less that what you paid to get them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/27/21 3:19 p.m.

All I want is to find some #11 percussion caps.  And some primers would be nice also.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/27/21 5:18 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I can check locally for you.  What kind of volume are you after?

9/27/21 6:52 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

-  There are a lot of people that really like the AK platform...  I think the popularity of 7.62x39 is based more on being cheap ammo than being good ammo.

You've covered the use cases of both of the people I was talking about above.
The potential re-loader loves the AK platform
The other was using it because it was cheap.

Hornady was making 5.45x39 at one point in the before times, I bet it's low on their production list now.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/27/21 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Hornady was loading 5.45 on steel cases sourced from Russia, so I think that means still out.

Edit: if the potential reloader has any difficulty finding dies, I have a set.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/27/21 8:29 p.m.

"With no more Russian ammo coming in,"  *snip*

Russian ammo is still coming in from what I understand.  When current contracts are filled, then the contracts will not be renewed with Russian manufactures.  But I read that on the internet, so who really knows.

stroker
stroker UberDork
9/27/21 9:46 p.m.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/28/21 1:25 p.m.

Having considered a variety of the non 223 based ar calibers I'm still unsure of my path.  For real target work you are buying or reloading match style ammo I'm not putting steel cases in a pricey  action.  I like the 6.5 or maybe the 300blackout if you are going to bother.  
I was going to build/buy an AR10 in 308 but Dad changed my math with a scruffy flattop ar15 in 223.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/21 1:47 p.m.
stroker said:

Wait, GOEX and Pyrodex are different right?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/21 1:57 p.m.

Black powder is pretty easy to make if you get desperate. I used to make it in 5-pound batches for fireworks. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/21 2:00 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

Black powder is pretty easy to make if you get desperate. I used to make it in 5-pound batches for fireworks. 

Absolutely, but my dad likes Pyrodex because it's cleaner sometimes

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/21 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That is true. The stuff I have made doesn't exactly burn clean.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
11/20/21 11:22 a.m.

FYI, Cabela's & Bass Pro Shops are doing Savage Axis XP bolt action package sale (package includes scope) for $250 after rebate, starting black friday.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/21 1:15 p.m.

Any sales on optics? I need one for this

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/20/21 1:24 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I don't know of any sales specifically, but I went out with a buddy a couple weeks ago with a similar pistol wearing a 3x red dot. It was about perfect. 

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
11/20/21 1:30 p.m.

Check out arken optics, good prices, decent reviews. 

Ive handled two in person they seemed nice. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
11/20/21 2:56 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

For the range and tranectory of that, I would put a dot on it. Holosun is making some very respectable sights at good prices. I would go with one of the flavors or 503. That is what I am looking at putting on my 9mm build, though my eyes need me to pay the upped price to get green rather than red. I like their circle dot reticle. Unlimited eye relief is also nice for something that goes through as many different holds as that firearm can. Two to three bills will get you something you likely won't complain about.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/20/21 3:55 p.m.
yupididit said:

Any sales on optics? I need one for this

heart

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/23/21 10:16 a.m.

Went out Sunday with some guys from work. Couldn't hit anything, hand my rifle to a guy and he goes to turn the scope power up and the whole scope rotated! The clamp screws had backed out a bit. Still had fun. Out shot most of the .223 guys with my .22. Went home and cleaned my gun and tightened the offending screws, but my thread locker is in my toolbox which is still at our old place, so I'll have to grab that before I go sight the thing in again. 

Thinking hard on black powder. Sales this week, too. I like the look of the Traditions Kentucky rifle. Undecided on percussion or flint. Gonna try to get out and operate a flint gun this week. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/23/21 1:12 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Shot my buddies' .69 cal Charleville musket back in high school almost 50 years ago.  That was so fun I still think about getting a flintlock....

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/23/21 1:24 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I've never run a flinter. I really enjoyed my buddies .54 percussion gun. I think I'd really like a percussion rifle, and have fun with it, but always regret not taking that extra step... Traditions kits are $50 off right now, and I have the means to cast my own balls and make powder... you know, for the full experience. But caps are pretty easy to make too.. idk. 
Anyone know if there's a difference in accuracy at 100y? That's all the farther I can see with iron sights anyway. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
11/23/21 1:54 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

The time delay between trigger and bang is larger on the flintlock. The basic accuracy will be essentially the same, but the flintlock will amplify errors.

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/23/21 2:17 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I think I like the idea of amplified imperfections. Seems like a good shot would be more rewarding. 

11/23/21 4:13 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to matthewmcl :

I think I like the idea of amplified imperfections. Seems like a good shot would be more rewarding. 

There is a whole target shooting series around black powder guns, too.

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FlMig6dkZkiiEW9e0VWI3DjiEnZZekF6uE6sANDYrATYQbzH7u9WMWzcdtPucblp