1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 83
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/26/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

They don't seem to be. At least not around here. Everywhere I frequent online is constantly sold out too. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/22 10:26 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Try American Reloading.  They have small pistol, and small rifle primers.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/26/22 10:34 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

No

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/26/22 11:52 a.m.

Wow.  10 cents apiece for 5000 of 'em.  That's quite an investment.  Good that they have them, anyway.  Not sure I want to make that kind of commitment. laugh

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/22 2:17 p.m.

Anyone have any recommendations for older rifles.  I really like them.  I am open to any caliber and any action.  I have been looking for a M1 but it occurred to me that there are other rifles out there that could be fun and you won't pay the M1 tax. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/8/22 4:47 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for older rifles.  I really like them.  I am open to any caliber and any action.  I have been looking for a M1 but it occurred to me that there are other rifles out there that could be fun and you won't pay the M1 tax. 

Mosin Nagants used to be stupid-cheap but I'm assuming they're fetching a premium by now...  The Mausers and Enfields have pretty well dried up.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/8/22 5:18 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Most surplus dried up, which is when the 770, Axis, etc. became the inexpensive play toy. If you get an M1 through CMP, you can pretty much always sell it for more than you paid. If you want to just play with old stuff, you can still get sporterized cheap on occasion, but that is not always the same kind of fun.

Years back I had an FN 49 because it was cheap and I was poor. Now I can find an M1 cheaper, and the M1 is the better rifle.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/22 9:22 p.m.

Enfield's are my favorite surplus rifle personally, and IMO the best of the WW2 bolt rifles

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/22 8:04 a.m.
Antihero said:

Enfield's are my favorite surplus rifle personally, and IMO the best of the WW2 bolt rifles

Ohhh. I had not thaught of this one. I will add that to the list. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/9/22 10:29 a.m.

Any of you gun nuts (and I say that affectionately) have a recommendation for a good firearms forum?  This place has been fairly sleep-inducing of late.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/9/22 10:46 a.m.
dean1484 said:

For what it's worth, here's a brief discussion of some vintage bolt guns:

https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/range-report-classic-bolt-guns-mauser-enfield-springfield/

Antihero
5/9/22 11:54 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Any of you gun nuts (and I say that affectionately) have a recommendation for a good firearms forum?  This place has been fairly sleep-inducing of late.

Nooooooooooooo!

Seriously, gun forums are terrible

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/9/22 12:13 p.m.
Antihero said:
1988RedT2 said:

Nooooooooooooo!

Agreed, gun forums are terrible. TheFiringLine.com and highroad.org are less terrible than most.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/9/22 12:15 p.m.
Antihero said:
1988RedT2 said:

Nooooooooooooo!

They can't all be terrible.  Maybe something with a focus on reloading?  I'd expect a little lefty-bashing, but who doesn't enjoy that from time to time?

I run into knowledgeable old guys at the range all the time.  You'd think they'd be sharing their wisdom somewhere.  Maybe they don't have computers and just meet at the local McDonald's once a month.  I hadn't considered that.  laugh

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/9/22 12:16 p.m.

In reply to M2Pilot :

Thanks!  I'll check 'em out!

Antihero
5/9/22 12:36 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Antihero said:
1988RedT2 said:

Nooooooooooooo!

They can't all be terrible.  Maybe something with a focus on reloading?  I'd expect a little lefty-bashing, but who doesn't enjoy that from time to time?

I run into knowledgeable old guys at the range all the time.  You'd think they'd be sharing their wisdom somewhere.  Maybe they don't have computers and just meet at the local McDonald's once a month.  I hadn't considered that.  laugh

The problem is everyone thinks they are an expert on a gun forum and the less they know, the more sure they are that they are an expert.

I once came across a thread where an older gentleman on a super fixed income was asking how he could protect himself because his very rural area had had an influx of bad people. By "super fixed income" I mean a box of ammo was a multiple month saving process across both their SS checks. 

He asked if he should sell the Enfield and get his friends used Hi Point 9mm. At the time the Enfield was worth about $20 less than the Hi point in his area somehow but if he didn't pickup one of his prescriptions that month he could get the gun and a box of ammo.

When I got to the thread he had over 3 dozen people telling him that the Hi point was a better option and he was a total worthless idiot for even having an Enfield or even considering to use it in defence of himself because, and I'm definitely quoting here " bolt action rifles are for killing deer, they don't work against people"

Im not saying it's the best gun for home defense ever but the many thousands of people killed by bolt guns in WW2 beg to differ that it's not good at that. This guy was willing to go into  what was for him, total financial ruin to get a high point instead of using the gun he had owned for 50 years, was good with, his wife could use because a bunch of idiots think they know more than they do.

Where he was at, in the country with no neighbors for miles, was a perfect place for it. He even had a good plan where he and his wife would retreat to the bedroom so no one would have to worry about over penetration. It was a terrible thing to see

Antihero
5/9/22 12:40 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to M2Pilot :

Thanks!  I'll check 'em out!

The highroad.org is super heavy handedly moderated to a level of stupidity, be forewarned.

Like ...I was banned for a week because I said that all service calibers were roughly the same and was told ".….that's bullE36 M3, the 45acp is 20 times more powerful than a 9mm and I won't have you spreading misinformation"

For the record.......all the service calibers are actually similar in one shot stops, muzzle energy etc, just pick the platform you want and go with it

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/9/22 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Appreciate the info.  I like to gather data from a few somewhat reputable sources, then make a decision based on my analysis of that data.  Bad advice is all too easy to get on the internet, but some of it comes off as humor.  I'll check out the two forums mentioned and see if I feel like they're worth my time.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/9/22 2:22 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Strangely Facebook has a really comprehensive list of shooting sports groups.  Unfortunately it is on Facebook but what can you do.

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/9/22 4:14 p.m.
84FSP said:
1988RedT2 said:

Strangely Facebook has a really comprehensive list of shooting sports groups.  Unfortunately it is on Facebook but what can you do.

I tried a FB group on S&W revolvers.  Quit within a day. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/9/22 6:51 p.m.

A hi point, pistol or carbine is a better weapon for home/self defense than a bolt action rifle.  I wouldn't go hungry to make the swap tho

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/9/22 6:56 p.m.

I believe the above is true but it's likely to start a discussion that, on a gun forum, would end up with hurt feelings, threats, posts in all caps, Taurus sucks, 45 is better than 9, get the thread locked etc and most people wouldn't have any experience with either.

Antihero
5/9/22 7:24 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

A hi point, pistol or carbine is a better weapon for home/self defense than a bolt action rifle.  I wouldn't go hungry to make the swap tho

Not only hungry but not filling a medication he, or possibly the wife I guess, needed.

I also can gaurentee that that Enfield can and more than likely has been fired in anger and at people , most likely successfully. The conclusion that a WW2 rifle isn't effective against people is absurd

I also own a hi point pistol. I would rather have the Enfield because it's not terribly reliable. Accurate and somehow comfortable to hold? Yes but not reliable

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/9/22 8:22 p.m.

Not to start the argument here, but +1 on the Enfield for me, especially if I had decades of experience with it and a clear path out of the house. I handload, though, so that is a little easier to end up with house distance rounds. Then again, after personal testing, I realized my Swedish carbine was a better choice than my Glock 22 (.40 cal), so that likely just means I am weird.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/22 8:43 p.m.
Antihero said:

Now you did it...  lol

1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jqvYBKeYPOeVLbZOTmqGroOiXMW57OGzt1E58TocpReouP6hXV5FC6nDre1jdh3B