1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 83
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/22 9:13 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for older rifles.  I really like them.  I am open to any caliber and any action.  I have been looking for a M1 but it occurred to me that there are other rifles out there that could be fun and you won't pay the M1 tax. 

I currently have a few WW2 era rifles and they are fun to shoot.

1) Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r  The rifle I have (exact model unknown) is a worn out beat up relic of the past.  It was hard to sight this rifle in at 50 yards because some shots would miss the target completely at that distance.  Every round would hit at different spot on the target and I was unable to shoot anything I would call a group.  The trigger is horrible and it felt like the inside mechanism would shift at trigger break.  And every round shot makes it harder to chamber the next round. Despite all that I will shoot it again.

2)Arisaka 6.5x50 Type 38 rifle.  This is a nice rifle to shoot.  Minimal recoil and decent accuracy.  Handles well and is fun to shoot.  Unfortunately ammo for this rifle before covid was expensive, now it is ridiculous if you can find it.

3)K31 rifle  Swiss 7.5x55 Best shooter of my bunch.  Straight pull bolt makes it unique.  Ammo is expensive.  Rifle is accurate.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/9/22 11:00 p.m.
Noddaz said:
dean1484 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for older rifles.  I really like them.  I am open to any caliber and any action.  I have been looking for a M1 but it occurred to me that there are other rifles out there that could be fun and you won't pay the M1 tax. 

I currently have a few WW2 era rifles and they are fun to shoot.

2)Arisaka 6.5x50 Type 38 rifle.  This is a nice rifle to shoot.  Minimal recoil and decent accuracy.  Handles well and is fun to shoot.  Unfortunately ammo for this rifle before covid was expensive, now it is ridiculous if you can find it.

3)K31 rifle  Swiss 7.5x55 Best shooter of my bunch.  Straight pull bolt makes it unique.  Ammo is expensive.  Rifle is accurate.

The 7.5x55 is also a hard hitter.   Some people used to convert the Arisaka to .257 Roberts I think.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/9/22 11:18 p.m.

Many torture tests of Hi Points out there, most are reportedly very reliable. Lifetime warranty? Ugly, heavy, cheap, yes.  Not a chance I'd take one to my gun club range without a disguise, but the majority of them go bang every time.  Again, not suggesting the older gentlemen should or shouldn't have gotten one but thugs carry semi autos with the biggest mag they can fit in their pants so more capacity, faster follow up shots and faster reloads combined with the stealth and portability of a handgun the hi point wins

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/22 11:39 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Many torture tests of Hi Points out there, most are reportedly very reliable. Lifetime warranty? Ugly, heavy, cheap, yes.  Not a chance I'd take one to my gun club range without a disguise, but the majority of them go bang every time.  Again, not suggesting the older gentlemen should or shouldn't have gotten one but thugs carry semi autos with the biggest mag they can fit in their pants so more capacity, faster follow up shots and faster reloads combined with the stealth and portability of a handgun the hi point wins

I was surprised by mine being unreliable, I figured it was the one thing it would be good at. It is very very accurate since it's a fixed barrel . I'm a huge fan of their carbines though. The pistol seems like a total lemon, the feedramp is so soft that it was noticably eroded after 200 rounds and I was able to take off more of the feedramp with a bronze bore brush. That's pretty alarmy.

The lifetime warranty is also kinda not as good as it sounds, they don't pay the shipping to them and its spendy to ship guns so it ends up being about 3/4 of the cost of a new one, or at least it was years ago.

Everything you say is valid though I would have a hard time telling grandpa to skip some meals and their blood pressure meds for a month for the prize of a used Hi Point.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/22 5:57 p.m.

Getting away from boomsticks a bit.  Maybe we can call this a boom twig? 

A little bit excited.  I just got word from the FFL I use that the METE SFX I ordered was shipped and according to the tracking number will be in either Friday PM or Saturday early AM at my FFL's shop.   Combine this with the outdoor range being completely cleaned and refurbished at the club that I shoot at it is looking like this Sunday is going to be lots of fun. 

I am going to put the Holosun I got a week back on it.  Now I just need to get the 2nd mortgage approved so I can purchase some ammo.  ;-)

The photo below is basically what I am getting but with a different Mag that does not stick out like the one in the photo below.  I will also use the included mag well flared extender that comes with it that is not shown in the photo.   With my big hands, it makes the grip much more comfortable.   The color combo is what made it a special order.  No real difference from the other standard color ones although my FFL told me that the QC on limited editions tends to be better.  I wanted it as I am tired of black and the dark earth colors that seem to be the most popular at the moment.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/10/22 10:00 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I had never even seen a Canik pistol before, and a guy set up a few slots down from me at the range let me fire his a few times.  I was impressed.  Nice feel to the gun, and I shot a nice tight group of half a dozen shots.  Not sure exactly what model it was, but it was a full size pistol. 

dean1484
5/11/22 8:13 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I am excited. Canik makes several very good pistols.  In my opinion they are fantastic value for money.  I have big hands so I often have issues with grips. I shot a TP9 and knew I wanted one. I then did my homework on the various models and the METE ended up being the best for my use case.  I did not want a race gun. I love shooting them but they are good at not much more than that. I wanted something that was a bit less conspicuous but still had the ability to mount an optic and had a very good trigger. Barrel quality was also important. I shopped these against a HK USP Expert.  I ended up shooting both. The HK is better in many ways but then in other ways the Canik is better. Hopefully I will be reporting in after the weekend with how it works. 

A little over a year ago I was in the market for a Glock 17, for want of a full size 9mm.   I stumbled on the Canik for about 1/2 the price.  For the money, the Canik is impressive.  No problems with it, at all.  Eats just about anything you put in it, and is as accurate as my abilities allow.  Highly recommend.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/22 8:51 a.m.

For an old rifle that is fun to shoot look at the M1 Carbine. 

Light, handy, low recoil ammo (.30 Carbine) .  Audie Murphy loved his.

And its car-Beene, not car-Bine.

(124) "Carbine" (why you pronounce it the way you do) - YouTube

dean1484
5/11/22 9:01 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Never herd of it pronounced "bine". Interesting to know. 

Noddaz
5/11/22 9:36 a.m.
jharry3 said:

For an old rifle that is fun to shoot look at the M1 Carbine. 

Light, handy, low recoil ammo (.30 Carbine) .  Audie Murphy loved his.

And its car-Beene, not car-Bine.

(124) "Carbine" (why you pronounce it the way you do) - YouTube

I have wanted one for several years.

The price holds me back.

BTW, anyone have a wood stock for a SKS they would let go cheap?

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/11/22 11:03 a.m.

I miss the days of used $300 S&W revolvers...

Noddaz
5/11/22 12:02 p.m.
stroker said:

And $99 surplus rifles...

jharry3
5/11/22 1:30 p.m.

I am dealing with liquidating the estate of a relative who had a large gun collection.     We are literally finding loaded guns stashed all over the house and garage.

Anyone know a website I could use to get estimated values of those guns on the used market?  

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/11/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

I would watch gunbroker auctions to see what similar things are actually selling for. Like ebay, some things have no bids for a reason, but things that actually sell are often pretty consistent (for things I have looked at).

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/11/22 1:36 p.m.
jharry3 said:

I am dealing with liquidating the estate of a relative who had a large gun collection.     We are literally finding loaded guns stashed all over the house and garage.

Anyone know a website I could use to get estimated values of those guns on the used market?  

Try Gunbroker.com but be certain you've correctly identified the make, model and chambering of each gun. 

dean1484
5/11/22 2:21 p.m.
jharry3 said:

You will most likely not maximize your return but I would try and look up the prices as noted above and then find a FFL and sell the whole lot of them as a single sale. 

Much less stress and hassle.  The down side is you will not maximize your return. At best they will give you wholesale prices as they have to make a profit.  Try and find a good reputable FFL.  You may even consider paying an expert (for insurance reasons) to evaluate the collection.  If someone was willing to give you 80 percent of the total evaluation I would jump on it.

Antihero
5/11/22 2:35 p.m.
stroker said:

I remember not long ago saying to myself " I should grab one of the nice old mod 10s I see for $200" but I figured they'd be around forever.

Now they are 3 times that

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/22 2:38 p.m.
jharry3 said:

Folks on here may be interested in them. Just sayin'

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/11/22 3:26 p.m.
stroker said:
jharry3 said:

Try Gunbroker.com but be certain you've correctly identified the make, model and chambering of each gun. 

BTW, if you find anything with a 20 round box magazine chambered in 30-06 that weighs about 18 pounds, lemme know.

wink

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/22 3:55 p.m.
jharry3 said:

What do they have? Any Sig pistols? Lol

dean1484
5/11/22 6:45 p.m.

If you stumble on an M1 Garand pm me  They look like this  

I would be interested.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/12/22 1:22 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

There's a book, shotgun news or something that is kinda like KBB 

Antihero
5/12/22 2:56 a.m.
stroker said:
stroker said:
jharry3 said:

BTW, if you find anything with a 20 round box magazine chambered in 30-06 that weighs about 18 pounds, lemme know.

wink

+1

I have always wanted one for unknown reasons

jharry3
5/12/22 8:22 a.m.
Antihero said:
stroker said:
stroker said:
jharry3 said:

wink

+1

I have always wanted one for unknown reasons

Sorry, no BAR's.    If there was I would be keeping it. laugh

No SIG's either.   Plus trying private sales over the internet is risky for lots of reasons.  

Thanks for the advice.  I will try gunbroker.com.

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xEggI7zI1auaXa6ukmpfe9D1r5LEkaxLStaCFqcaAu2q05cHOd85LHbYhM5W6q8m