1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 83
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/22 9:38 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Finally got out today with FIL to run both our most recent sticks. What I learned is I'm a better shot with accurate irons than he is with a bad scope. 
Also I shot my first ever "big boy" shot shells. The first was a federal blue box 3" 00 buck. It had some bite but not too bad. The other was a 2.75" 1.25oz magnum slug. One was enough. 
This is 1/4" cold steel:

That was at 20y. We were able to recover the slug still in one mangled piece. My review of the product in two words: It'll do. 
Those other holes are from .308. Also I learned .223 goes right through. Anyway. The other 4 shells will likely last my whole life. 

12 gauge slugs are pretty impressive, it's primarily what I have loaded up because I have to worry about bear

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/30/22 9:42 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

It'll do. 
I got some because if this ever becomes a bump-in-the-night gun, the last shell in the tube will be a finisher. I don't know if I'll ever get there. I wanted to run one for the experience, but I've done that now. 
Not sure I ever want to be anywhere I have to worry about bears. 

Antihero
5/30/22 11:18 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

It'll do. 
I got some because if this ever becomes a bump-in-the-night gun, the last shell in the tube will be a finisher. I don't know if I'll ever get there. I wanted to run one for the experience, but I've done that now. 
Not sure I ever want to be anywhere I have to worry about bears. 

I'm guessing it was a Brenneke style slug? They are well noted for massive penetration, much better than Foster style slugs.

Ive also fired exactly 2 3 inch heavy slugs in my life. They were in a pretty light shotgun too and I decided that I wasn't gonna be shooting elephant anyway so I stick to 2.75s lol

barefootcyborg5000
5/30/22 11:23 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Whatever this is

Antihero
5/30/22 11:46 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Whatever this is

That looks like a Foster style so a Brenneke is even more penetration and better at going thru stuff

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
6/1/22 2:46 p.m.

12 g Rem 11-87 Police 18" barrel with a red dot.  100 yards and i have trouble believing it too 2 3/4 1oz Foster's slugs100 yards with a Rem 11-87 Police 12g.  2 3/4" 1oz slugs.  18" barrel.  It doesn't make sense what I've been able to do with this gun but it's a keeper

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/1/22 3:14 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Whatever this is

Great Googly-Moogly!!    1.25 ounces moving at 1520 FPS?  Thats 547 grains of lead.  Cooking.

barefootcyborg5000
6/1/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Oh, it was an event. My 18.5" Nova is a very smooth shooting weapon, but that was pure violence. I have 4 left and likely will forever. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
6/1/22 4:00 p.m.

I love slugs

barefootcyborg5000
6/1/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

From my one experience with slugs, I'm gonna put my foot firmly in the "didn't love it" camp. I don't particularly like shotguns except for skeet, and if I could use a 22 for skeet I would. First one I bought was a stoeger coach gun, because 2 barrels and two triggers and I was 21 and invincible. Sold it back to the shop after about 100 useless rounds. Grandpas break action 20 does much better for me, and the Benelli is a better choice than the ec9s it replaced for defense. 

Antihero
6/1/22 11:30 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Justjim75 :

From my one experience with slugs, I'm gonna put my foot firmly in the "didn't love it" camp. I don't particularly like shotguns except for skeet, and if I could use a 22 for skeet I would. First one I bought was a stoeger coach gun, because 2 barrels and two triggers and I was 21 and invincible. Sold it back to the shop after about 100 useless rounds. Grandpas break action 20 does much better for me, and the Benelli is a better choice than the ec9s it replaced for defense. 

Slugs are definitely a specialized round, really unless you are worried about bear or hunting they aren't optimal.

barefootcyborg5000
6/2/22 10:01 p.m.

Alright y'all, educate me. Is there a proper placement for a red dot if it has unlimited eye relief?

And also, I had to adjust the front sight exactly 3 clicks to be on target, and the dot matches almost exactly as a lower 1/3 cowitness with zero adjustment. Did I get lucky twice or is this just what it's like when you get quality components instead of the cheap junk I'm used to?

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
6/6/22 4:54 a.m.

No real proper placement for red-dot/holographic sight other than whats best for activation (if needed) and if you want to enlarge the dot size, then stick it as far forward (to muzzle) as possible. Also, closer to your eyes will give a bit larger window to look through, narrows up a little bit as you move it to the muzzle end. Just experiment with placement along rail to figure what position you like it best in. 

With the Meprolight M21 holographic on my Marlin I have it as far back as possible to minimize the circle & dot reticle size since it's a bit large & thick. Also allows a Holosun LS117G laser to be comfortly mounted in front of it.

Only thing have left to complete the Marlin is rear buttstock - have a Form adjustable cheek riser buttstock on order (currently have a Boyd's and it's pretty ill fitting besides being non-adjustable). The Form buttstock has impeccable fit/finish and slick/quick adjust cheek riser. Absolutely loved it at sight when first found out about it, but the cost is quite a bit to take... plus the shipping from England.  With the Form stock it can be a true MRR (Multi-Role Rifle) since the comb height can adjust on the fly for different setup configurations.

Open-sights/lightweight carry (nearly perfect cheek weld currently):

Quick-action shooting/Defense (highest eye level, a loose chin weld currently):

Precision scout/hunting (right in-between open-sight and Mepro 21 eye level, a bit loose cheek weld currently):

This is the Form buttstock, in classic walnut laminate (which was ordered):

Also have night vision capability option with a PARD NV008P... very reasonably priced NV scope that is light weight, highly praised, has removeable & rechargeable 18650 battery, and has reticle adjustment/memory for up to 5 different firearms. Also makes a great hand held monocular NV sight ... amazing how much more stars there are in the sky which you can see with NV versus the naked eyes. Had been interested in it for a while and finally got it when it was on an Amazon flash sale for $100 off. Currently have it mounted on an air-rifle for back yard pests. To mount it on the Marlin will need a riser-rail piece so it will clear the rear open sight.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
6/6/22 12:37 p.m.

I just joined the firearms club a few weeks ago.  Picked up a Shadow Systems XR920 since it was "blemish" ($200 cheaper than regular) and fit my hand better than a Glock 17/19.  I shot it for the first time last weekend.  Note that it was the 3rd time I've ever been shooting.  First was a few years ago, second was about a month ago.  Side note: I'm already dreaming of pairing it with a PCC.  But I'm a lefty, so that complicates things ergonomically.

Overall, very enjoyable.  Less muzzle rise than the Sig P320 I shot with a friend and much more accurate than the S&W compact my dad used. 

Manual says break-in period is 200-250 rounds.  I was using the cheapest new brass 115 grain 9mm fmj I could find (2A Warehouse I believe).   Loading the mag via one of those mag loader tools. I had about 5-6 rounds fail to load into the chamber properly over 135 rounds.  They would catch where the bullet met the casing.  Brought up a few questions:

1. Should I be concerned about reliability long-term?
  2. Fail to chamber issues were usually mid-magazine.  User error, ammo, gun, and/or break in?
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/6/22 2:38 p.m.

In reply to scardeal :

Fail to chamber *could* be user error "limp-wristing" where you allow the gun to recoil too much. 

You should have a good grip on the frame, such that while it will move your hand/arm with recoil, the grip does not change. if the gun moves too freely, that could keep the recoil from properly bringing the next round into the chamber.
Or, it could be that the cheap ammo has a profile that doesn't match well with your gun. Or some of the rounds weren't loaded with as much powder (though they all *should* be extremely consistent; you mentioned cheapest provider)
Or, your feed ramp may have become fouled with debris / might just need to be polished.

I'm sure I missed some other possibilities.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/22 2:53 p.m.

I tend to break things in with good ammo of higher grain than the everyday stuff I will normally use.  

I would try other brands and see what happens. 

You could also look at the feed ramp and see if there is a lip between the ramp and the barrel that is causing the hang up.

dean1484
6/6/22 2:58 p.m.

I tend to run the Winchester White box 9mm 115.  I have never had an issue with it.  Not the cheapest but not super expensive. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/6/22 3:23 p.m.

i'm wondering if I could make a Marlin Camp Carbine chambered in 10mm Auto...  The receiver is remarkably small and the magazine housing is plastic.  I think I have a 40 cal barrel that might work... 

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
6/6/22 3:31 p.m.

I think I'm going to try a higher quality round to compare.  I just disassembled it and there was lots of residue all over the place.  I don't have a barrel snake/bore brush, so I'll have to pick that up with along with comparison ammo.  I'm guessing that's what they mean by dirty ammo.

As for the hangup, it appears to be catching at the top of the chamber, not the bottom.  

As for the PCC wishlist (actual 16" carbine, none of this sbr stuff) side, my shortlist looks like this; each seems to have its drawbacks.

1. Ruger PC Carbine 9mm
  2. TNW Aero Survival Rifle 9mm
  3. JRC 9mm (not sure about takedown or not)
  4. AR9 build using Gibbz Arms ambi/left-handed lower/upper
fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
6/6/22 3:54 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I'm actually working on a 9mm Camp right now. It's in an awful Ramline plastic folding stock, and I need to do the buffer and spring. Should be fun when it's all together though.

dean1484
6/7/22 12:15 a.m.

In reply to scardeal :

Have you field stripped it and cleaned and lubed it?  Most if not all new firearms need to be cleaned and lubed. I have found this a must to get good performance. The lube used in most new things is almost like sticky grease. Clean that out and get some good gun oil on all the moving parts. Especially the slide.  

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
6/7/22 8:28 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I've disassembled the slide, etc., after I shot it just to inspect, but I don't know that I have the right stuff to clean it and lube it.  Maintenance was the main omission in my prep work/research.  I'm planning on getting to the gun shop this week for maintenance items and a box of more reputable ammo.

Any recommendations on what I'd need?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
6/8/22 6:15 p.m.

If it hits the top of the chamber it may be mag feed lips.  Try a different mag or do this:

Bullet hits top of chamber bend feed lips in at the front 

Bullet hits low bend feed lips out at the front

These are miniscule adjustments, YouTube has how tos and the manufacturer should have precise specs

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/8/22 6:23 p.m.
scardeal said:

I just joined the firearms club a few weeks ago.  Picked up a Shadow Systems XR920 since it was "blemish" ($200 cheaper than regular) and fit my hand better than a Glock 17/19.  I shot it for the first time last weekend.  Note that it was the 3rd time I've ever been shooting.  First was a few years ago, second was about a month ago.  Side note: I'm already dreaming of pairing it with a PCC.  But I'm a lefty, so that complicates things ergonomically.

Overall, very enjoyable.  Less muzzle rise than the Sig P320 I shot with a friend and much more accurate than the S&W compact my dad used. 

Manual says break-in period is 200-250 rounds.  I was using the cheapest new brass 115 grain 9mm fmj I could find (2A Warehouse I believe).   Loading the mag via one of those mag loader tools. I had about 5-6 rounds fail to load into the chamber properly over 135 rounds.  They would catch where the bullet met the casing.  Brought up a few questions:

1. Should I be concerned about reliability long-term?
  2. Fail to chamber issues were usually mid-magazine.  User error, ammo, gun, and/or break in?

Hand cycling the slide a few hundred times will save you ammo.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 2:30 p.m.

I've picked up a couple of firearms in the last couple of months. 

First is an S&W M&P 45. M2.0 full size.  A batch was made for the MA State Police in the wrong caliber and they were selling them at a pretty reasonable price. It came with 3 magazines and several grip inserts. I've put about 100 rounds through it and it runs very well. 

20220313_203012.jpg

I wanted rifles chambered for both NATO rounds. I already have a Mini-14 in 5.56 x 45, so today I picked up a Springfield M1A Loaded to run 7.62 x 51 and several boxes of 308 Win to run through it. The Loaded version comes with the match sites, their national match medium weight barrel, and 4.5 pound tuned trigger. We will see how she fires this weekend. No pictures of it yet but I'll get some this weekend. 

File Photo.

Springfield Armory M1A Loaded National Match MA9226 | Palmetto State Armory

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
15qdHLK5A76gfM5rZKs2hFFS9lYm8EtQ9FgvF0GeNubwJEeO0xQc59yWBQjE9ZP5