1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 83
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
12/4/22 1:28 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I clean and oil my flinter after each use. Of necessity. I've cleaned my .308 once; it has about 300 rounds through it. 
I've only put 150 or so through my .556. 
20ga needs brushed. My 60 needs cleaned about every 200 or it has feeding issues. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/4/22 10:42 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

If it's shot it gets cleaned. If it's carried it's cleaned and oiled regularly. I try to go through the safe about every other month and so a wipe down with the oil rag to keep corrosion at bay. 

I've owned too many guns that weren't cleaned often and they sucked to clean out after it had been on them for a long time. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/4/22 11:19 a.m.

Forgot to mention, if you shoot suppressed, you'll be cleaning more often, especially DI ARs.  Here's a few unfired rounds that were in the magazine in my AR after shooting with the suppressor.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/4/22 11:35 a.m.

Wow interesting that the gas dispersion of the silencer makes such a mess.  It makes sense but had never seen that come up as an issue.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/22 10:08 p.m.

Santa and I had a talk. We decided that the VP9 I have been eyeing would make a great present to me.  I got it early (about 3weeks ago). But I am just pretending it is a Christmas thing.  I have had it to the range 2x and I really like it.  So far I highly recommend. And for an HK it was not as expensive as HK seems to think there stuff should be.  It fits right in between my full frame stuff and my small stuff. (I am looking at you P365xl). I am convinced that the p365xl is the best bad shooting pistol ever made. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/26/22 10:27 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I am convinced that the p365xl is the best bad shooting pistol ever made. 

???

My P365XL is an excellent shooter...

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
12/27/22 12:39 a.m.

The new 10mm - like it very much. Shot it first time yesterday with the factory sights, just installed the new sights (adjustable & .5" longer sight radius) today. Way better to shoot than a G20 in all aspects. Once the AC flared magwell & extended mag bases become available that will be last mod unless an extended threaded barrel and compensator combo come about for it.

I generally clean my fireams after shooting except for bolt action rifles... they normally just get a bore snake until really need a cleaning.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/27/22 8:14 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Well I bought myself a pair of bday gifts. The 4516 I pulled the trigger on at $450. Seller offer it and the 4586 he also had for sale for $800 for both. So I'll be the owner of a pair of 3rd gen smiths. I know I'll be able to get my money back out of them if I don't like/want or trade dad for my old 24/7 Taurus for one. 

ad photos 

I have a pair of smith 5906's. Slightly different versions. But man are they nice. In 9mm its just so casual to shoot. And beautiful to boot. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/27/22 8:26 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

the 4586 shoots so soft. probably due to the fact it weighs 3 pounds loaded lol. The 4516 isn't bad. Grips a bit different than the 1911's I usually shoot but not too far off. 

dean1484
12/27/22 10:32 a.m.
Rodan said:
dean1484 said:

I am convinced that the p365xl is the best bad shooting pistol ever made. 

???

My P365XL is an excellent shooter...

I think it is its size and there are some ergonomic things that don't work well for me.  For whatever reason, I don't shoot the 365Xl well at all.  I have big hands so that does not help either.  I know other people that say exactly the same as you that it is a really good pistol.  That is why I got it.  Mechanically, fit and finish and looks it is really nice. For whatever reason, I am shooting 3-4 inch groups at 10 yards.  To me, that is not acceptable.  I am way better than that with all my other pistols.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/27/22 11:19 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I've never been a striker fired fan in general. The only one I owned was a Taurus and it was a fine shooting little gun. First gen 24/7 Compact in .45acp. 10+1 or the "extendo" 12+1. I could shot 2-3" groups with it but the trigger just sucks when you come from 1911 land. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/27/22 12:22 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I have fairly large hands, and the only thing that has been a problem for me is the heel of my hand tends to drag on the magazine so it won't drop free on mag changes without a conscious effort to get my hand out of the way.  Other than that it shoots amazingly well for it's size.  I'm able to run dynamic drills (multiple targets/movement/reloads) very close to the times I can achieve with my full size M&P Smith.

You might try the Wilson Combat grip module... it adds a little more size to the grip without affecting the concealability much.  

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
12/27/22 1:43 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I put a slip on grip on my p365xl, and that helps. I am looking forward to eventually getting a macro frame, in hopes to make it a little better.

My P7 is still my favorite "real gun" to shoot.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/27/22 2:14 p.m.

Good to hear you like the VP9 Dean.  I've been eyeing one for a while now and I see one in my future.  It shares magazines with my P30 which is nice side benefit.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/27/22 2:19 p.m.

Oh and I went to the range with a supplier and good customer before Christmas and we had a great time.  I brought my P30 9mm and my 1894 Winchester lever in 45 LC.  Customer brought his SS Ruger Vaquero in 45 LC and supplier brought his TC deer rifle in 450 Bushmaster.  We rented a few more from the range and had fun then went to dinner.  Good night for all!

dean1484
12/27/22 2:43 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to dean1484 :

I put a slip on grip on my p365xl, and that helps. I am looking forward to eventually getting a macro frame, in hopes to make it a little better.

My P7 is still my favorite "real gun" to shoot.

I want to try swapping the uppers between the 365 XL and the 365 Macro.  I really think that Sig screwed up and should have created these variants after watching the video below.  Yes, it is a bit of a goofy video but the tech is there to make me very curious.  I went as far to see if I could get a complete Macro upper from Sig and I could not find them for sale on their site. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
12/27/22 3:04 p.m.

That does seem to make good sense.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/27/22 3:22 p.m.

Having owned several guns with comps/ports, I'm not a fan of them on defensive handguns.  The result of firing one from a retention/compromised/entangled position could vary from extremely unpleasant to serious injury.  Eye protection is a must when shooting ported guns, and most folks don't wear protective glasses while going about their daily business.

dean1484
12/27/22 3:31 p.m.

I wear glasses all the time that are rated as safety glasses for shooting so I am probably the exception to the norm in this case.

dean1484
12/27/22 3:32 p.m.

I also just want to try it.  I may see about getting a 365 Macro just to try it.  You know for research. . . . .  laugh

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
12/27/22 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Agree about comps, but the Macro comp is barely a comp. It is more just the force on the bottom portion with no real effort to jetting up. The reviews I have seen seem to all say that the comp is not as bad as most to be around. Still something to test, of course. I would also not want a carry comp if there was any risk of even just enough flash to mess with seeing in the dark 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
12/27/22 3:34 p.m.

I wish you guys would stop talking about guns you've just acquired--I saw a YouTube video on these inexpensive Turkish 1911A1's for $400 and it's the last thing I need but I'm really jonesing for one.  

dean1484
12/27/22 3:37 p.m.

Oh on another note can anyone recommend a good brand of grip tape?  The prices are all over the map on amazon from many dollars per square inch to a couple of dollars per square foot.  Or just go get skateboard tape as it is really cheap compared to something marked for use with pistols.  I was thinking of trying it on my XL and seeing if that helps with the accuracy issues I am having.  I think that is the root cause of my issues with the XL.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
12/27/22 3:40 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

There are enough people doing precut, I would not bother with tape. I have precut on a Kahr P380 and I think I spent under $15.

dean1484
12/27/22 3:48 p.m.
stroker said:

I wish you guys would stop talking about guns you've just acquired--I saw a YouTube video on these inexpensive Turkish 1911A1's for $400 and it's the last thing I need but I'm really jonesing for one.  

Once you open the door to the rabbit hole it never ends.  

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3SihbJGq7E2ho30E6cdWHxw7uGMf9FnqTqEUPWaCM8XRBFP9BrXvewDhKuMI443k