1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 83
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/24/23 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

That background looks familiar and the weather looks current. I think we're basically neighbors. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/24/23 7:32 p.m.

I'm in Arizona near Utah border @ ~5k ft... about 40ish minutes from Hurricane and 55ish minutes from St George.

barefootcyborg5000
2/24/23 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Basically neighbors. 5k isn't where I'd want to be this weekend. There's a good  500y range out in the Virgin/LaVerkin area, we should meet up sometime. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/26/23 2:02 p.m.

Who knew an H&K SP5 was so expensive?

Looking at cheaper alternatives for 9mm PCC or AR- style pistol.

barefootcyborg5000
2/26/23 3:27 p.m.

My range bucket is full and has been picked of the shells a want to keep. Time to see what scrap prices are for about 40lbs of the stuff. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
2/26/23 3:45 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Yep, H&K is like Porsche. I have heard good things about the CMMG Radial Delayed Bolt approach. I am tempted on that, myself.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
2/26/23 3:52 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

My range bucket is full and has been picked of the shells a want to keep. Time to see what scrap prices are for about 40lbs of the stuff. 

I used to be a 5 gallon bucket was worth almost a pound of powder. Keep us posted.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/26/23 3:53 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

The AP5 is a pretty good alternative.  Full parts interchangeability with HK.

I built a 9mm AR a while back, and I didn't really like it much.  Most of the PCC 9's are straight blowback, which sucks, especially with a suppressor.  Bought the above AP5P and have been pretty happy with it.  The only issue I've had is that it doesn't like Win white box 147FMJ.  Shoots Speer 147FMJ just fine, though.

The only other 9mm PCC I would consider is a CMMG with the delayed blowback.

barefootcyborg5000
2/26/23 4:36 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Actually looks like it'll be towards overpriced food in Anaheim next weekend. If everything lines up that is. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/26/23 8:44 p.m.

Thought more about it and decided against using the M4-72 model brake... it's most extreme model from Precision Armament both in blast concussion & flash signature... will be an issue with low light/NV use. Went ahead and ordered the EFAB hybrid model instead ... is best fit for what I want from rifle and it was on sale at Optics Planet plus had credit and discount coupon to further reduce price as well. About 20% less recoil control (45% vs 64%) but excellent flash suppression, nearly zero felt concussion, and great compensation control. Sometimes free is just not worth it. The EFAB doesn't look as good as the M4-72, but my ears & eyes will be extremely thankful for the comfort difference.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/23 11:14 p.m.

My day went well. Irons at 100 yards with the Swiss 1911. 

The lower left shot I knew as soon as it broke that it was bad.  It was my first shot.  The 1911 is a better rifle than I am able to shoot it.   I am betting it is a sub MOA rifle.  Actually thinking about this more now I shot this holding the rifle with both hands sitting at the bench. If I was shooting with my bag I could do much better I think.   I am very pleased with this.

I may look in to getting a period correct scope and period correct mount for it that replaces the rear irons and see what I could do with that.  

barefootcyborg5000
2/27/23 1:34 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's the kind of grouping I was getting at 100y with open sights on my 308. So, very good for a 90 year old service weapon. Nice. 

barefootcyborg5000
2/27/23 2:42 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Locally we're at $1.45/lb. Roughly a lb of powder. If I can find more TAC, I can also afford 100 primers (good luck) too. Not bad. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/27/23 5:16 p.m.
dean1484 said:

My day went well. Irons at 100 yards with the Swiss 1911. 

The lower left shot I knew as soon as it broke that it was bad.  It was my first shot.  The 1911 is a better rifle than I am able to shoot it.   I am betting it is a sub MOA rifle.  Actually thinking about this more now I shot this holding the rifle with both hands sitting at the bench. If I was shooting with my bag I could do much better I think.   I am very pleased with this.

I may look in to getting a period correct scope and period correct mount for it that replaces the rear irons and see what I could do with that.  

Nice for unsupported iron sight shooting @ 100yards. Need to get my Marlin 30AS on paper to see where exactly it hits - all I know is can very consistently hit 12" steel plate from unsupported position from 50 to 150 yards with no real sight picture adjustment.

Not sure if you'd be interested, but I still have the Hi-Lux replica 2.5X USMC M73G4 WWII riflescope which I never used other than test fitting it on my Miroku 1885 while waiting on the ladder iron sight system to be made by MVA. Was just wanting to get something that wouldn't look out of place on the 1885 without the excessive cost and mounting issues of the actual replica scopes for it.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/27/23 5:51 p.m.
bobzilla said:

When did 10mm get cheaper than .45acp? 

Whut?

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
2/27/23 6:01 p.m.
stroker said:
bobzilla said:

When did 10mm get cheaper than .45acp? 

Whut?

10mm was cheaper than 9mm mid-Covid, just because the number of customers for it was still small.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/23 11:56 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

H&K is usually very expensive and there's a certain hoopla with them. Its kinda like a Skorpion , I never see them cheap enough to buy one.

Also a BAR, the WW2 kind but those make H&K stuff look like hi point.

Speaking of Hi Point .......I really like the old style 9mm Carbine of theirs I have, ugly as hell but incredible for what it is

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/28/23 7:05 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Awesome! 

dean1484
2/28/23 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

I would love to have that but I need a long eye relief scope. The mount is far forward and due to the vertical ejections of the casings I can not come back over the action. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/28/23 6:53 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Hi-Lux makes a long eye relief 2-7x.  I had one on a scout rifle and it's much better than the price would suggest.

Hi-Lux 2-7x LER

dean1484
3/1/23 5:53 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Hi-Lux makes a long eye relief 2-7x.  I had one on a scout rifle and it's much better than the price would suggest.

Hi-Lux 2-7x LER

I was looking at that.  Glad to hear that it is better than the price would lead you to believe.  Thanks!!

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
3/1/23 6:56 p.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to Vracer111 :

I would love to have that but I need a long eye relief scope. The mount is far forward and due to the vertical ejections of the casings I can not come back over the action. 

Forgot how the action is on those... LOL. Just saw pictures of a rear sight mounted rail (Bad Ace Tactical) with Burris 2-7×32mm scout scope... doesn't look bad on the rifle. I really like the Burris 2-7×32 handgun scope setup have for my Marlin 30AS... good ballistic reticle and nice quality glass with a fairly light weight. Was going to get the scout version but was out of stock at the time, handgun version is same scope but with bit more eye relief and different parallax adjustment. Either scout or the handgun version would be a very good scope for scout type mounting.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
3/2/23 4:49 p.m.

Anybody have input on either the CMC combat curved (3.5lb pull) or Blackout Defense AR-10 Zero hybrid (4.0lb pull) single stage triggers? Really not liking the factory Aero mil-spec trigger in the M5 lower and trying to decide on a single stage trigger to go with - these two pique my interest, both have the type of trigger blade am interested in. Looking for a good single stage combat trigger and leaning towards the Blackout Defense due to increased hammer mass for the AR10 platform.

Update: Decided to go with the Blackout Defense Zero hybrid after going through lots of reviews... looks to be exactly what I'm searching for (an AR equivalent of the WWG trigger in my Marlin 30AS - which is the most gorgeous trigger pull in any gun I've ever shot.)

Absolutely love how the WWG trigger breaks [absolute ZERO movement, just keep applying pressure until it breaks, which is an absolutely clean & instantaneous release] and it really improved the accuracy greatly over the stock Marlin trigger which was creepy, gritty, and much too stiff... an all around bad combo.

dean1484
3/6/23 5:49 a.m.

A improved trigger transformes a rifle. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/23 9:59 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It really does. My experience is limited as a gun owner rather than a committed "gun guy", but just cleaning up mating surfaces and making a handful of incremental improvements to my Mini 14 and 10/22 made them far more rewarding to use. It's just a lot nicer to operate any machine when that machine doesn't constantly remind you that it's built to a price.

1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c2iDuVjOnVJH7SSgr2qIAfI7d4r5OCa5k6jzzPaFZMqCvY2nKqZOkIVdWejvFJM5