1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 83
Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
3/7/23 1:23 p.m.

A bad trigger will ruin the experience of an otherwise most excellent gun... just like a not so great manual shifter on an otherwise excellent sportscar ruins the experience.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/23 3:16 p.m.

Apropos of nothing, I really like the Palmetto 2 stage nickel boron triggers. Decent feel at a good price, good for a budget build. Yes, there are better triggers out there, but they're way more expensive.

For me, the trigger and barrel are two of the most important parts of a rifle, and I'll spend money on them first, then upgrade the rest of the components as I go along. Optics are a different category completely, and I like to get it dialed in with irons first, in any case.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
3/8/23 2:25 p.m.

I have a CMC single stage for my 9mm AR and it feels absolutely intuitive.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/8/23 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

I have a PSA "match" single stage in my 556. Excellent for the price point, and like you say, the next small step up in quality is a big price jump. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/23 3:45 p.m.

The Geissele 2 stage in my AR transformed it.  Much easier to shoot at long distances.

dean1484
3/8/23 3:49 p.m.

The funny part is the trigger in my Swiss 1911 is one of the best triggers I have ever used and it is from the factory original.  

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/8/23 4:02 p.m.
dean1484 said:

The funny part is the trigger in my Swiss 1911 is one of the best triggers I have ever used and it is from the factory original.  

Bolt gun triggers are much easier to make clean than semi-auto and the Swiss are somewhat known for precision small moving parts...

My first Swedish Mauser (made in 1906) had a trigger that was literally like breaking a thin glass rod. I traded that one before I understood how much better it was than normal.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
3/9/23 1:47 a.m.

My Aero build is about 90% there, installed the EFAB flash hider/brake/comp and Strike Industries Ultimate dust cover today. Waiting on the Blackout Defense trigger, Tactical Brass Recovery brass catcher, Surefire IR Scout Pro light & dual switch, and side mounting Holosun rifle laser to fully complete it. May be a slightly unorthodox build, but it will be perfect for me:

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/9/23 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Looks very nice. What is that optic and how do you like it?

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
3/9/23 10:11 p.m.

The top picture is with Primary Arms SLx 3X prism scope (green Raptor ACSS reticle) and bottom picture is with PARD 008P day/IR night vision scope.

Haven't shot/zeroed with the SLx 3X but do really like the reticle. Wanted more magnification than a red dot and an etched reticle in small compact size and the SLx prism line has been a hot thing the past few years - which got me interested in it. Might end up switching to the SLx 1X with magnifier... would give a bigger reticle when using magnifier and selectable 1X or 3X magnification. It would just add more weight compared to the 3X.

Have shot and done night observation with the PARD 008P...has a good, clear 720p display image and with on-board IR illuminator have decent view out to around 200 yards. Plan on getting a better IR illuminator to mount on gun and have better quality image at farther distance. Really cool stargazing with NV... you can find at least twice as many stars in the sky compared to just with your naked eye and easier to track satellites. It's a really great budget IR NV option and compact size/weight - had been interested in it for a while and Amazon happened to have a flash sale on it for over $100 off last year so I finally went for it.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/10/23 4:43 p.m.

.22 day at the range today.

I've been dabbling in rimfire benchrest for a little while, but in '21 my club moved the match day to Tuesdays which just wasn't working with my work schedule.  Now that I'm retired, it's game on.  And of course the February match got wiped out by bad weather.  March match is next week, and I hadn't shot this gun since ~ July...  so today I shot a practice target.

I don't know if I've posted this here before, but a rimfire BR match is 50 yards, on a target with 25 bullseyes and 3 sighters.  You use the sighters at the top to check zero, and then have 20 minutes to shoot one shot at each bull.  Possible is 250pts, my best has been in the high 220s.

Here's a pic to give an idea of what you're trying to accomplish:

Today's target was a 214... not great, so I'll need to tighten it up next week.  I do kind of handicap myself by shooting CCI Standard Velocity ammo.  The real match stuff shoots better, but with no prize money, it's just not really worth it.  Kind of like using Hoosiers for HPDE.

Also put the first shots through my CZ457.  After zeroing, the first two groups at 50 yds were promising...

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots as the barrel breaks in.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
3/10/23 8:07 p.m.
Rodan said:

.22 day at the range today.

I've been dabbling in rimfire benchrest for a little while, but in '21 my club moved the match day to Tuesdays which just wasn't working with my work schedule.  Now that I'm retired, it's game on.  And of course the February match got wiped out by bad weather.  March match is next week, and I hadn't shot this gun since ~ July...  so today I shot a practice target.

I don't know if I've posted this here before, but a rimfire BR match is 50 yards, on a target with 25 bullseyes and 3 sighters.  You use the sighters at the top to check zero, and then have 20 minutes to shoot one shot at each bull.  Possible is 250pts, my best has been in the high 220s.

Here's a pic to give an idea of what you're trying to accomplish:

Today's target was a 214... not great, so I'll need to tighten it up next week.  I do kind of handicap myself by shooting CCI Standard Velocity ammo.  The real match stuff shoots better, but with no prize money, it's just not really worth it.  Kind of like using Hoosiers for HPDE.

Also put the first shots through my CZ457.  After zeroing, the first two groups at 50 yds were promising...

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots as the barrel breaks in.

Nice, never got into competition shooting other than dabbling a bit in IDPA local matches for a bit. Do similar shooting sometimes in back yard @ 25 yards with my Benjamin Cayden (.22 PCP airgun).

Trigger and brass catcher came in this afternoon and I just finished installing and checking out the trigger - HUGE improvment over the mil-spec unit - so smooth on release and extremely clean break with good intentional pull force level. Made sure to lube and clean sear and hammer surfaces before putting it in lower. Really like the trigger pull - the straighter blade is located a bit more forward and nice just increasing the pressure until it reaches the release point and just effortlessly releases. Though it is a huge improvement, it doesn't quite beat the WWG trigger I have in my Marlin 30AS... close but no cigar. Reset is REALLY nice on the Blackout Defense Zero Hybrid trigger though...short and right back at breaking point - I can see how it would be easy to rapid fire extremely fast with it.

Brass catcher is lightweight and works great testing it out cycling with dummy rounds. Fits just right on the rail, easy to attach/remove with the QD release lever. Can't wait to take rifle out and verify it functions and then zero it in. Decided to remove the offset sights, won't work well with the brass catcher - might upgrade brass catcher to the operator version which lowers it a bit and has a 4-position detent hinge.

dean1484
3/18/23 1:26 p.m.

Been working on this for a while. I finally got the parts in to test fire this later today.  (I still have to go get some amo. )

The Optic is temporary for testing only but in a weird "keep it simple" way I kind of like it. 

I was going for the old school minimalist Armalite/Eagle build.  The only thing that kind of gives it away that there may be a bit more to it is the 20 inch stainless steel barrel. All the rest is my attempt to make it as old school AR 10 as possible.   It is not as heavy as I expected. As seen in the photo it is 8.9 lbs. This will be a bench/comp rifle. I kind of wanted  to show the young kids with there rifles that are overflowing with the most modern teck that you don't need all that to be a good shot. Just have the core components be top quality. That is really all you need.  

I have also been on an old school kick for a while now.  

barefootcyborg5000
3/18/23 2:47 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Looks like mine, with a different stock and gas block. PSA?

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/18/23 5:54 p.m.

Talk me out of buying a $100 beat up double barreled muzzle loading shotgun.

barefootcyborg5000
3/18/23 6:04 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Talk me out of buying a $100 beat up double barreled muzzle loading shotgun.

I'll talk you out of NOT buying it. As long as you can get primers, I think that's nearly the best way possible to spend $100. 

barefootcyborg5000
3/18/23 6:08 p.m.

Finally got out to run more of these reloads. This time at a healthy 300y. I had my scope off for some reason I don't remember, but once I got it zeroed again it was real fun busting up milk jugs at the range. Even with 10-15mph crosswinds it wasn't difficult. And little bros S&W ar22 is an absolute riot. Silhouettes at 200y is a good time. 
4x2 S10 for the win. 

both pics from the same spot. Nice sunny day, high 50s, empty range. Not bad. 

Noddaz
3/18/23 6:10 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Nice!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/18/23 6:12 p.m.

Uhhhh do we like home built boomsticks here? Springfield XD40 parts kit plus $4 worth of 3d printed PLA plus.

dean1484
3/18/23 6:30 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

That is cool!!!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/23 6:39 p.m.

I've been looking for a 760 or 7600 in .308 so I've been hitting some auctions.  I need you guys to do me a favor.

STOP BIDDING HIGHER.  laugh

Jeez.  [/rant]

dean1484
3/18/23 6:40 p.m.

So my son and I put 100 rounds through it today and it is a tack driver at 100 yards with the little Sig green dot.  Not having a muzzle brake is so nice.

The entire build is Armalite/Eagle Arms.  Getting them to put together a 20-inch stainless steel heavy barrel in 7.62 took some time and patience. And then the FFL that was sitting on it for a long time was now closing up shop so I think I got a very good deal.  I am not sure if they actually make their own barrels .  It is a very good barrel.  The machine work on it looks excellent.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/18/23 8:15 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been looking for a 760 or 7600 in .308 so I've been hitting some auctions.  I need you guys to do me a favor.

Jeez.  [/rant]

I'm still chasing a few unicorns that are rarely found anywhere but online these days, and auction prices are nuts.  I'm not sure what reality some of the bidders are living in... 

Noddaz
3/18/23 8:26 p.m.

I didn't buy anything at the MACA show today (http://www.baltimoreshow.com/about-the-show/about-maryland-arms-collectors/)  Huge bunch of collectible rifles with most of then starting  $1000 or so.  A lot of the rifles are above Challenge price.  But I had a good time looking.  I saw one gun that would have clicked two boxes at once for me.  A Rolling Block 16 gauge shotgun.  It was $875.  I have been wanting a Rolling Block and I have about 150 16 gauge shotgun shells.  That could have been a win/win right? 

So I will hit the flea market tomorrow to see if the $100 percussion cap shotgun is still there.   

Noddaz
3/18/23 8:28 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Jeez.  [/rant]

You sure do not have to worry about me doing that.

1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UAjhV3dBW08jzTh4xnlnQxMgMj1Vd66CTgtFgAVbkMeHyW6QcpWEllNppXkYZLna