1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 83
matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/18/23 10:40 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I am definitely in for home built. I still want to build a falling block starting with nothing but a barrel, and I want to do a flintlock kit. I have been investigating compression molding for a SBR lower, but I eould be very interested in learning how your print holds up.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/18/23 10:58 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I expect no issues with it, plenty of guys making 3d glocks and ARs with way less printing experience than me. I do need to find a range nearby to start frequenting.  Try searching for "The Gatalog" "CtrlPew" "Hoffman Tactical" and "Print2a" if you think home built plastic pews are cool.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/19/23 3:43 a.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I am definitely in for home built. I still want to build a falling block starting with nothing but a barrel, and I want to do a flintlock kit. I have been investigating compression molding for a SBR lower, but I eould be very interested in learning how your print holds up.

Flintlock! I know a guy with powder. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/19/23 11:21 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I would love to make black powder just to say I can, but I think for most shooting I would look at this:

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/schuetzen-black-powder-ffg-1/

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/schuetzen-black-powder-fg-1/

barefootcyborg5000
3/19/23 11:30 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I mean, while I feel like I've done a good job with my powder and plan to keep doing it, there's no doubt the commercial stuff is better. Faster. I'd like to chronograph test it. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/23 2:41 p.m.

Since GRM loves a mystery, please help me here with this shotgun I found but still did not purchase.  Pictures enclosed.

Turns out this is NOT a muzzle loader like I first thought.  It is a break open double barreled shotgun with questionable parentage.  I could not find a brand anywhere on the gun.  Nothing on what size or gauge shells it would take.  And when I removed the barrels I found marking that made no sense at all to me.  Yes, when you broke the gun open, the barrels did not pivot on the receiver, the barrels would come off the receiver.  Both hammers are missing, hand guard missing, one firing pin missing and trigger guard missing.  On with the pictures.

Beautiful picture there.  That was supposed to be the marking next to the tab where the hand guard attaches, underside of barrels.  But notice the machining marks on that tab.  The whole gun has rough work like that.

And I had nothing to clean the gun off with other than my fingernail.

A close up of marks next to the tab above.  

More markings on the other side back towards the ejector.  Gun is dirty.

It almost looks like a bad copy of a shotgun and it is a mess.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/19/23 3:12 p.m.

I will help dig, but look also at schematics on e-gunparts.com.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/19/23 3:15 p.m.

I'm nowhere near an expert on antique SxS shotguns, but there were a number of manufacturers making them in the late 1800s - early 1900s.   Most of them aren't anything special, and in that kind of condition, I wouldn't give more than ~$40 for that as a wallhanger.  There's a good chance it's old enough to have been designed for black powder cartridges.  Getting it into shooting condition is likely a bridge too far.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/19/23 3:59 p.m.

The proof marks might lead you to something.  

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/23 5:28 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

Well now. Thank you very much!  And everyone else too!.

I am guessing a later than 1853  Belgium gun going by marks 1 and 5.

GRM solves yet another mystery!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/23 7:26 p.m.
Rodan said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been looking for a 760 or 7600 in .308 so I've been hitting some auctions.  I need you guys to do me a favor.

STOP BIDDING HIGHER.  laugh

Jeez.  [/rant]

I'm still chasing a few unicorns that are rarely found anywhere but online these days, and auction prices are nuts.  I'm not sure what reality some of the bidders are living in... 

One of the auctions I was at last week, a guy kept outbidding everyone.  According to my list, he spent over $10k in guns.  I finally turned around to see who it was.  It was the guy who pumps my septic tank.

I'm in the wrong business.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/19/23 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Some industries are recession proof... 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/19/23 9:52 p.m.

You have done awe inspiring work with your powder, and I would like to learn how to do that.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 6:50 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Looks like mine, with a different stock and gas block. PSA?

The entire upper and lower is Armalite. That is what took so long. Finding the exact parts I wanted at prices I was willing to pay took a while. I don't know who makes their barrels or if they are made in house.  I specifically wanted a heavy stainless steel barrel. I also wanted the pic rail.  I thaught it was going to put the balance further forward than it ended up being. Generally I thaught it was going to be closer to 10-11 lbs but I was pleasantly surprised that it is just under 9.  I am not sure what optic I will end up with.

barefootcyborg5000
3/20/23 12:43 p.m.

Speaking of flintlock stuff, I found a decent chunk of agate in my folks backyard while grilling steaks last night. Unrelated, but the package we assumed would contain several large steaks actually only contained one:

That platter is 9x13, half was well done and half was medium because I'm not great with lump charcoal. I think a steak picture is appropriate in the gun thread. Anyway. 

One of the guys at work is a dedicated rock hound. He goes, "oh cool. I have my bopper out in the truck!" And brings me a bag of these razor sharp chips a bit later. Gonna attempt to take them to a tile saw and try it out in my Kentucky rifle. 

It isn't technically flint, but since Traditions sells saw-cut agates for the exact purpose, it should work. And for free. 

dean1484
3/20/23 3:06 p.m.

At least one of those looks like it could be an aero head. The one on the far left and maybe the one on the right as well.  The one on the right could pass as a spear tip.  

barefootcyborg5000
3/20/23 3:13 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Those are all raw shards. I just got back from lunch and he brought me an arrowhead he just knapped out from another chunk. 

308 dummy round for scale

dean1484
3/23/23 8:07 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Those are all raw shards. I just got back from lunch and he brought me an arrowhead he just knapped out from another chunk. 

308 dummy round for scale

That is cool!!!

barefootcyborg5000
3/23/23 5:28 p.m.

Speaking of rocks. I've been on a bit of a deep dive. When I started down the flintlock path I figured out here in the Rockies I'd be able to find wild flint. Wrong. But now I've had actual experience with agate (which we have plenty of) and reading that jasper is also supposedly functional and there's tons of it everywhere. 
So I've been making powder, now I'm making the "flints", and next purchase is a mold to pour my own projectiles... it's getting really fun and the weather is getting good. 
Gonna watch the thrift and pawns for a good deal on a small wet tile saw. For shooting supplies. 
Pictures for better internet

barefootcyborg5000
3/24/23 3:39 p.m.

Wild chunk of agate. It seems impervious to hammer blows, and I'm way too chicken to chuck it up in the shop press. I think I'll shoot it. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
3/24/23 3:57 p.m.

It should just take a tap at the right place.  Ask you flintknapping friend where to hit it & how.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/23 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :  (Old shotgun)

The barrel comes off because its missing the fore-stock that has a latch in it to hold everything together, its missing the trigger guard, external hammers are missing,  probably the internal lock-work is a mess.

It looks alike a breech loading percussion with those percussion cap nipples sticking out.

I would not fire that thing on a bet.  Doubtful you would find the missing parts anyway.  Clean it up as a wall hanger/conversation piece.

barefootcyborg5000
3/24/23 4:29 p.m.

In reply to M2Pilot :

Done. He's actually who gave it to me. It slowed down enough for us to fiddle with it a bit. It has a ton of inclusions, but we got a few good chunks. It isn't a great piece for knives or arrowheads, but the 5/8" pieces I'm after should be no problem. 

barefootcyborg5000
3/25/23 8:34 p.m.

A was able to use some of the agate chunks to make proper sized strikers for my Kentucky rifle. Went out today, installed one of mine, and it worked a treat. But I had other BP issues and that was the only shot that actually worked. I THINK that I just didn't do a proper job cleaning the stick last time, as what seemed to happen was just a crust of powder/goo in the chamber to the point I couldn't even get air through the flash hole... it's clean now. 

and after a dozen attempts to fire, the agate still has a great edge. So that's at least a success. 
I also greatly prefer the action on Lyman kits/rifles. The locks are bigger and nicer, and I'm eyeing a Hawken kit with a set trigger. Saving pennies. 

dean1484
3/27/23 10:51 a.m.

More range time this weekend.  I really need a scope for the AR-10.  At 100 yards the RDO I am using is covering the target completely.

Any recommendations on a 1-10 LPVO.  I really want to keep it under 1K.  Realistically I don't expect to be shooting this further than 500 yards although Sig does have a 1000-yard range that is not to far away in NH.  

1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zOe2txM6dkmpPhIOKU6Kk6BGYkF9iXqQz7HMQg6OK6BBYRQKJLrjJPTpSl5I1ClP