yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/19/23 11:23 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

How do my pics always upload huge? Lol. You're right though

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/23 12:08 a.m.
Rodan said:

Random revolver pic for a Thursday thread bump... 

Say, that's handsome! Looks like the hair and nails were done at the same place as my little MkII:

I bought it without firing it and was surprised at how natural the grip angle feels. It's a very pleasant little thing to shoot.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/20/23 8:59 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I've never really cared for the grip angle on the MK Rugers, the 22/45s are more to my liking.  All of them shoot pretty good though.  My .22 semi for target work is a Hammerli 208...

I wish I could do it justice, but I just can't shoot bullseye the way I could 30 years ago.  Getting old sucks.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/23 1:50 p.m.

I use a Ruger Mk IV to teach anyones new to pistols.  I also run dot drills with it.  They are awesome teaching aids and a lot of fun.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/21/23 8:19 p.m.

I made this little thing. It is not as pretty anymore after hand fitting. I will likely make another as the dovetail angle is a little off. It works though. Kahr rear sight dovetail on the bottom, Glock on the top, for mounting a Deltapoint Micro.

I changed the front sight from the low profile to the standard height, to show up in the sight, better. I don't do well with red dots in bright weather, so I want to still be able to use the sight as a ring and post if I can't see the dot.  I have not taken it out to zero it, yet. Next up is doing the same thing to a P7. Getting old sucks. I can only really see handgun sight while using my computer glasses, now.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/22/23 10:04 a.m.

Range report...

After shooting my CZ457 with the Boyd's stock, I determined that it didn't fit me at all...  I've been happy with the KRG Bravo on my T1X Tikka, so I ordered one for the CZ.  Finally got it back out to the range yesterday.  Zero and groups at 50 yards.

My goto ammo for most things .22 is CCI Standard Velocity.  It's just subsonic, so it's nice and quiet through my suppressor, it runs all my semis reliably, and it's quite accurate for the price point.

I also tried some Eley Club, this time a 10 shot group.  Not sure what happened with the high flyer...?

Once I got the dope dialed in, I was able to hit a 3" painted circle on a steel popper that lasered 176 yards.  Pretty happy with it so far, considering the gun has just over 100 rounds through it at this point.  I've found that most .22 rifles need 300-500 rounds before reaching their best accuracy.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/23 4:11 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Ok you have got to explain that RDO more. That is cool. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/22/23 4:40 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Leupold Deltapoint Micro

They make them for full slide width Glocks and S&W M&Ps. You replace the rear sight, so no slide milling. 8mm window (I think) right off the top of the slide, so you can still see your front sight in it, though the front post is low of center. 

dean1484
4/24/23 9:25 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

TY!!!  Looked it up.

dean1484
5/2/23 5:46 p.m.

Long range semi retro Armolite build is now complete.  This has been a long time in the making.  This will most likely be its permanent configuration.  Now 500 yards should not be an issue as long as the MOA of the barrel is good. At 100 it was very good but I could not tell for sure with the non magnified RDO. 

Got a great deal on the Burris 3.5-15 FFP scope with mounts that I could not pass up.  

dean1484
5/2/23 5:51 p.m.

And we also finished this build a bit ago. Complete SOL build with Ambidextrous control's. Custom seri coating of the upper lower and hand guard. Put a warden blast deflector on it to make it much more range friendly.  

A really fun plinker out to a couple hundred yards.  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/19/23 11:38 a.m.

To the fine folks at the bureau of Automatic Transmission Fluid:

That is all. 

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/19/23 2:38 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

IDK if this is related, but as a reminder (or FYI for anyone who was not aware): an ATF rules change means that after 5/31/2023 a 'brace' will have always been a 'stock'.  Therefore any pistol needs to have a 16" bbl installed before adding a brace.  The other options are to register the firearm as a SBR (ATF is offering $200 off, expires 5/31), or make the brace cease to exist (insert 'boating accident' meme).  Added: Link to ATF info, Link to less concise ATF info.

I'm only trying to post information related to hardware, IMO we should dredge up the gun control thread if we want to discuss (i.e. argue pointlessly) other aspects.

Edit 2: I just noticed this graphic at the top of the ATF's one-page info sheet (first link above).  Cutting the barrel as shown creates an unregistered SBR (short barreled rifle) and does NOT properly destroy the firearm, especially on an AR.  Yeah it is just an illustration, but c'mon people!

barefootcyborg5000
5/19/23 2:59 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

May or may not be related. Decisions decisions. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/19/23 3:08 p.m.

There are multiple lawsuits making their way through the courts right now.  In any rational world, there's no way the 'rule' could withstand any scrutiny, but we live in clown world, so who knows.

My concern with the 'amnesty' form 1s is that the BATF does not have the legal authority to waive the tax.  Also, I have yet to see an approved form myself, but I have heard they contain wording that indicates the approval is 'conditional' to the rule being in place... so what happens when it's overturned in the courts?  Do you keep your Form 1 approval?  Do you have to pay the tax?  And I just don't trust the BATF not to simply change it's mind again.  They revoked hundreds of approved Form 1s for suppressors last year after they decided to go after suppressor kits... there's nothing preventing them from doing the same here.

Note also that the BATF director recently testified under oath before Congress that simply removing the brace from the pistol was sufficient to make it not subject to the 'rule'.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
5/21/23 5:09 a.m.

Don't like what ATF is doing in overstepping their bounds, but personally AR pistol hasn't ever made sense to me and I'd never want one. If want a compact firearm, an actual pistol is my choice and for a compact rifle a pinned 13.9" or so barrel with proper muzzle device along with a suitable actual stock would be my preference.

Speaking of pistols, neighbor/friend just picked up a PSA Dagger and really liked it on first impression/handling. Got me looking at their offerings and after some research I ended up finding a great host for the Trijicon RMR which have been kind of trying to find a home for... one in 5.7x28mm which is a round have always had an interest in. Able to piece together a 5.7 Rock with the lightened milled RK1 slide with optics mount cut, 5.2" threaded barrel, & 2 mags for $400...  looking forward to finally running the RMR on something and it should be nice with how flat 5.7x28mm pistols shoot and their minimal felt recoil.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/21/23 9:56 a.m.

my $.02 on Form 1 guns that are currently brace guns. Yes, it is $200, but that is not a hard sum to come by (unlike, say, in 1934). Special for the conversion of a brace pistol (unlike normal rules) you get to play with it while you are waiting for paperwork. There are times when NFA guns are less convenient than non-NFA guns. There are times when NFA guns are more convenient than non-NFA guns. $200 lets you take advantage of some of the NFA/non-NFA rules, it it ever becomes an issue for you.

It is a matter of jurisdiction. The NFA firearm is federal jurisdiction, not state. I don't think the line of discussion gets into politics if taken further, but it gets close, so I will leave it at that.

barefootcyborg5000
5/21/23 12:40 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

It is a matter of jurisdiction. The NFA firearm is federal jurisdiction, not state. I don't think the line of discussion gets into politics if taken further, but it gets close, so I will leave it at that.

This is (from my not-a-lawyer perspective) the crux of it. In theory, I could buy a pistol length upper, and  Utah-made suppressor, have it permanently attached,put a real stock on it, and be able to do whatever I want (without any form 1) as long as it never leaves the state. Or I can still just ship in a PSA upper for cheap, and sell the rest of the stuff BATF doesn't think I should own. Idk. 
It shouldn't be, but is, a political discussion, so I'll leave it alone. Don't mind me over here grumbling. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/21/23 2:43 p.m.

I think there should be another thread made in this subject before anyone post anything else about it in this thread. I know some people can't help but to flounder a thread. I like and learn too much in this one.

dean1484
5/22/23 8:46 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I agree. This thread really is not the place for the brace debate. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/22/23 10:22 a.m.

In a related vein, I've been intrigued by this guys stuff:

he also has videos of him running the thing. It's a bit unconventional but seems to work quite well. 

dean1484
5/22/23 10:37 a.m.

I got a CZ 75d Compact PCR about a month ago.  I really REALLY like it.  It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment purchase as I was looking at PO1's but the place I was at had this in stock.  It is a really weird pistol in that it is a small boom twig. A little bigger than the P365XL and a bit smaller than my VP9.  But it shoots like a full metal frame pistol.  The recoil is so soft and virtually no flip.   

I was excited to get a holster for it so I ordered one and it came in over the weekend.  And it does not fit.  I am not naming the supplier as I think it was my fault.  There is a CZ 75 compact and that appears to be what was shipped to me.  In fact, I am 99.9 percent sure I ordered the wrong one as I was ordering from my phone not the PC and my stumpy fingers always seem to mess things up. 

So although they offer a 30-day no questions asked refund policy I reached out and explained the problem and offered to pay a restocking fee.  Again I think I screwed up.  The holster itself is made to order and looks to be excellent.  While I am disappointed I am even more excited to get the correct one as the fit and attention to detail looks excellent (If I had the correct pistol)  LOL

No real purpose to this post other than to share.  

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/22/23 11:59 a.m.
yupididit said:

I think there should be another thread made in this subject before anyone post anything else about it in this thread. I know some people can't help but to flounder a thread. I like and learn too much in this one.

I did not make it to this thread last night, but if no one starts a new thread before I get home, I will. I will post info on ATF web links for registering as an SBR, including a rundown of what you need (paperwork) to file. I have not done the "specific to pistol brace" path as I don't own a rifle-based pistol. I am in-process on regular Form 1 submissions.

For the record, I will not discuss my opinions on pistol braces anywhere on the internet for any purpose, so I will leave that part to others.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/23 7:02 p.m.

Since I kinda caused the problem, here's another thread.  I am totally okay if nobody wants to use it, and/or it just gets deleted right away.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/any-chance-for-a-reasonable-discussion-about-firearms-laws-v2023-dialectic-bubbaloo/251504/page1/

1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9xFLANRftvYTDRfUV2Kj4pac91iCGll6kdSgzrRzX1XfTXiUYUat8rzPA7pCbI1b