1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 83
84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/22/23 8:25 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
Rodan said:

Random revolver pic for a Thursday thread bump... 

Say, that's handsome! Looks like the hair and nails were done at the same place as my little MkII:

I bought it without firing it and was surprised at how natural the grip angle feels. It's a very pleasant little thing to shoot.

Smith model 25 in 45acp with full moon clips.  I have a swanky 25-2 in stainless that always gets weird looks at the range.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/22/23 8:34 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Something like this?  wink

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/22/23 10:36 p.m.

Y'all aren't helping me fight the desire to buy a large caliber wheel gun. 
Something like a Redhawk .357 8-round with a 6" barrel appeals in a way I can't quite put into words. 
Or twin 38s. Polished nickel/MOP. 
Or a .45lc with matching lever rifle in the same chamber. 

Something about cowboy guns. I can't explain it. 

Or (and relevant to the ATF topics and NFA stuff) a suppressed mkIV 22-45. For rodents. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/22/23 11:34 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:  Y'all aren't helping me fight the desire to buy a large caliber wheel gun. 

Or a .45lc with matching lever rifle in the same chamber. 

Something about cowboy guns. I can't explain it. 

Well, let me just keep pushing that 'enabler' button... cheeky

There is, indeed, something about cowboy guns... 

Although, honestly, my S&W wheelguns shoot better.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/23 12:09 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I have both a 357 mag and 41 mag wheel gun....  do not start

barefootcyborg5000
5/23/23 2:44 a.m.

I've had a couple .22 revolvers and a BP .44 as well. I'm just not a big pistol shooter. They sit and I get bored and move to the next adventure. Which is how I end up making my own powder and all that. 
My .308 is still great fun. Way more accurate than me, even with these light loads I'm running, though I'm getting better. 
The only consistent thing I've been involved in since I started shooting is skeet. That's always fun and doesn't seem to ever get boring. I should look into a pump 20 with a proper 28" barrel. Grandpas single shot is good, but it kicks good and I can't move fast enough to hit two clays at a time like with a pump/semi. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/23/23 7:15 a.m.

I've been working on a friend for years now to become the next owner of a stainless steel Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC to match my Winchester lever.  He recently brought it up and says he thinks he's close!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/23 7:53 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I tried Trap the other day for the first time using a friends semi auto and it is was way more fun than I thought it would be.  So I broke out my Mossberg 590s and gave it a try with that.  Again so much fun!!!   I am now looking at a over under but man are they pricey!!   

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/23/23 9:50 a.m.

I shoot 1911's and SAA better than any DA, be it revolver or semi-auto. Probably because I had full size replicas of both as a kid.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/23/23 9:52 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I did trap with my 19" Mossy 500 years ago. Damn it was good at it. It wasa  full choke barrel shortened to 19" so the pattern is still super tight and works well for it. The short OAL makes bringing it to bear faster I think, but the length of the site picture is definitely shorter. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/25/23 10:51 a.m.

How 'bout a little taste of state of the art in 1917...

The S&W is a Regulation Police .38S&W (not .38 Spl).  These were introduced in 1917, and this one was made in the first 2-3 months of production, and looks like it was made yesterday.  The Colt is a 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .32 ACP, also made in 1917, though they had been around for a while at that point.  This one is a little rough n' ready compared to the Smith.  "Hammerless" is not really an accurate description, as they do have a hammer, it's just covered by the slide.

dean1484
5/26/23 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

Thank you for doing that!!!  I am surprised it made it to 7 pages before being put on hold by the mods.  I did not want that to happen to this thread.  

dean1484
5/27/23 4:12 p.m.

More trap today with the 590s. That is way more fun than it should be.  I actually hit some clays for a change!!!   laugh

barefootcyborg5000
5/27/23 5:26 p.m.

Went out this morning. Buddy brought his new 6.5cm Ruger he's tricked out a bit, and he isn't cheap on ammo so we were blasting 4" targets at 400y. My first time shooting that caliber and I gotta say I'm a fan. 
I also completely ruined cheap box .308 for myself. After shooting hand loads exclusively, today all I took was some Winchester soft points and some blue box federal 149fmj. My rifle likes the federal much more, but neither is usable. With my loads I can pop clays at 300y, and the factory stuff was struggling to hit a 8" steel at 200. Unacceptable. 
Also I really like my 5.56 pistol. Aero upper, nice hardware, spikes bcg and buffer. Iron sights. Used up a tub of tannerite someone left at the range, and was able to hit that steel offhand standing. It's a cheek-pistol. Dad won't run it and neither would my buddy. It isn't conventionally handled, and apparently change is bad, mmmkay. I wrapped the tube in leather with a pad for quick location reference. I like it. 

it is due for a good cleaning and lube. I'm surprised how good it shoots for 10.5". Soda cans at 100y is easy. I got the idea for the platform after watching Demonstrated Concepts on YouTube. Unconventional, but light, accurate and fun. 

We finished out by stretching up the hill to 400y (scoped) and were aiming at two of these white desert flowers. Stemmed one first with the 6.5, then obliterated it with the 308 (very lucky) then tried my luck with the 5.56. I didn't hit the flower, could barely even see it, but I kept about a two foot group shooting offhand. Makes me want to start loading and build a lightweight precision thing. We'll see. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
5/28/23 9:46 a.m.

I had sort of a pleasant surprise last week.  I am on vacation this weekend and was packing for the trip-I found a S&W 686 in a drawer that I forgot I had!  I need to go run some drills with that thing sometime--maybe renew my CCW that I stupidly allowed to expire...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/28/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

That's awesome!  Older S & W wheelguns are a real pleasure to shoot.

Edit:  Not sure how old yours is, but I understand the triggers were a good bit better on the older guns.

barefootcyborg5000
5/29/23 12:17 a.m.

Question. After handling my 5.56, when I picked up my PSA 308 I really felt the weight. Is there anything worthwhile I can do to reduce said weight? Can I run it with no muzzle device? Is it worth it to install a gas block that doesn't have a forward sight? Would shaving 2lbs even be possible or noticable?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/29/23 9:56 a.m.

I couldn't find a weight spec for the PA10, but some 3rd party reviews put it around 8lbs.  For comparison, my Sig 716i is spec'd at 8.5lbs, and my Ruger SFAR at 6.8lbs.  The SFAR is noticably lighter than the 716i, so 2lbs is a big difference, but a .308 is never going to be a lightweight.  Also, you're not going to be removing much weight by fiddling with the small parts.  Much of the weight in an AR comes from the barrel profile/length, so without changing that, you're not going to remove a lot of weight.  The other big factor is optics.  A variable magnification scope, something most would want on a .308, can easily be 1.5-2lbs, compared to a few ounces for a 1x red dot.

I gave up on making my .308s light in favor of maximizing capability at longer ranges, which is kind of the point of the .308 in the first place.  The 5.56 is my run n' gun rig. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/29/23 10:19 a.m.

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Supposedly the heavy stainless barrel is made by FN, so I’m not changing that, the hand guard is plastic, so there’s no weight there, and the stock is light too.

Time to start gathering parts for to build an 18” 5.56 I think.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/29/23 10:28 a.m.

What's the mission?  Hunting gun?  Interpersonal conflict resolution?  Just for fun?  Gonna run a suppressor?

barefootcyborg5000
5/29/23 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Mostly fun. Possible hunting rig. 

Bathroom scale shows the thing at 9.9lbs, with scope, unloaded. Not sure there's a ton of room for improvement anyway. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/29/23 12:56 p.m.

For hunting, the game will drive the caliber, but it's hard to beat a 16" 5.56 for all 'round use.  

I have a 16" 5.56 built on a PSA receiver/parts kit, with a PSA upper that shoots pretty good for a gun that cost under $600 to build.  Looks like you can still do one for that price with tax/shipping/etc.

At the time of the pic, it had a Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle, which is OK for a budget LVPO, though the illumination is pretty worthless.  I've since swapped it out to an Athlon Ares 1-10x, and added a Geissele trigger.  It can do 1 MOA if I do my part, and it's my 'do everything' gun for when I can't take my SBR AR.

Edit:  just noticed your edit on weight... that's pretty heavy.  I don't have a scale to get numbers, but my SFAR Ruger (with a 3-18x Ares) is lighter than the 5.56 pictured above.  That's not including the can, but with the light and bipod.  The SFAR has nothing bolted to it but the optic, which by advertised weights should put it just under 9lbs empty.  It's pretty darn light for a .308.

dean1484
5/29/23 3:11 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Rodan :

Mostly fun. Possible hunting rig. 

Bathroom scale shows the thing at 9.9lbs, with scope, unloaded. Not sure there's a ton of room for improvement anyway. 

For a 308 that is not bad. I am going to put my AR10 on the scale and get back to you. 

dean1484
5/29/23 3:15 p.m.

Ok. Per my highly calibrated digital bathroom  scale laugh with the optic and the lock this is 11.3. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/29/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

My scope is a vortex crossfire 2, advertised at 18.3oz plus the mount. I can likely shave 8oz or so with a different gas block and losing the flash hider, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort even. 
It shoots well, I just have to remember I'm not huge and it is a large caliber/capacity weapon. It was only ever intended to be for range use and hunting, and I can't afford to run hundreds of rounds through it anyway. Heavy rifle= light use. 

A 16-18" 5.56 with a 3x and a dot is likely my next project. Or another flinter. 

1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tZ1dN92wgjkBUxwkvuNRZXIEbntohWttJiuNCvLe7YotINNBywxXS7Hp8VZg8I3w