1 ... 84 85 86 87 88
Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/19/24 12:22 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

That's a good start.  If it's like mine, it will take a while (2-300 rounds) before it really starts to shoot.  What ammo are you using?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/19/24 1:24 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Break in was with some federal HV stuff I've been sitting on for a while. That last group was CCI SV. At 50y the SV was 1.5" lower than the Federal. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/24 6:43 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

What variant of Tika is that.  I was looking at getting a CTR. I was looking for a hunter before but no luck on that at all. I prefer them with wood stocks (more as a looks thing). Then there is caliber. 6.5cm or 308. I would most likely go 308 but I have other things in 6.5cm so I always have some of that around. I also have 30-06 around but I am not sure ther make it in that caliber. 
 

Something about a CTR in 30-06 I think would be fun. Kind of old school cool. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/19/24 8:48 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Mine likes CCI SV, and it's very good for the $$, but 1 of 10 can be counted on to be a flyer.  The expensive stuff (Lapua, Eley, etc) shoots a little better, but not enough to justify the extra cost.  Unless you're competing for $$.  I heard good things about Norma (Tac22 and  Match 22), so I bought a brick of each.  Initial groups are promising, but I haven't shot enough yet to make a solid determination.

IMHO, the standard velocity stuff is more consistent than high velocity.  It remains accurate at distance, just needs a few more clicks on the scope than HV.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/19/24 8:49 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It's a T1X...  .22LR.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/19/24 11:22 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Yes, T1X mtr. It is by far the nicest rifle I own. Not that I own many. The scope is a vortex crossfire 2-7x32. For $25 I like it, but I'll probably get something a little more powerful and with a BDC reticle in the future, since the goal is to stretch .22 for all it's worth. 
 

Buddy was sighting in a new M&P15-22. It was rimfire day and it was fun. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/19/24 11:51 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Don't waste your time with BDC reticles... they're never perfect for any rifle/ammo combo.  Just get a first focal plane scope with a decent reticle that has mil or MOA stadia lines.  Once you figure your dope, it's easy to make quick hits at any distance.  FFP allows you to accurately measure drops through the scope regardless of magnification.  For optics under $500, I don't think you can beat Arken.  I have their EPL4 6-24 on my T1X and it's really really good for the price.  Far better than anything Vortex makes under $1200.

https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/epl-4-6-24x50-ffp-illuminated-vhr-vpr-zero-stop-30mm-tube/

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/19/24 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

That does look really nice. I'll watch for sales once I sell my 5.56. Gonna be odd to see that 50mm glass on a 16" .22. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/24 12:14 a.m.

For reasons that will become apparent from photos I will post later the new 16" SS 308 barrel came in and is now on my LMT MARS H. I am hoping to get out this weekend and see how I like it. 
 

Next I need to get serious about a good scope for this rifle. I like Burris but Vortex makes some really good stuff as well.  

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/24/24 9:14 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Have you decided a budget, and what magnification range you want (LPVO, 3-18x, 4-24x, etc.)?

Before I retired, I worked on a project to pick glass for a .308 DMRish rifle, so I looked at/through a lot of optics.  There's some real values out there now if you're willing to disregard some of the established brands (and prejudices).  IMHO anything Vortex makes that sells for under $1200 is not as good as what you can get for less $$ from Arken, Athlon and Primary Arms.  If 1-6x is good enough, the Vortex Razor GenII is the best glass I've yet seen in an LPVO, but it's really best on a 5.56 rifle.  The GenIII 1-10x is nowhere near as good, and more $$$.   The Nightforce NX scopes aren't all that great, either.

Anything under $1k will be Chinese, regardless of name brand.  $1500 gets you into the Japanese glass, which is better, but you need to start evaluating your mission, and whether the juice is worth the squeeze.  I'm talking subtle differences in clarity that really only matter in low light... like hunting early/late, or professional use.  For a range gun, a lot of that will be irrelevant.  What really matters is that the tracking is accurate and repeatable.

For best performance/price value, I'd look at PA GLX and PLX series, Athlon Chronus and Ares, and Arken EPL.

This guy does some really good reviews on a variety of optics:  https://www.youtube.com/@CDOES/videos

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
5/24/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

You should still be able to get new brass for them, they take standard .308 projectiles and LRP's so quite simple to load for. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/24 9:41 p.m.

Picked up a new truck/tackle box gun, a Taurus polymer 605.

 

Never tried a poly revolver before but I'm impressed with it

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/24/24 9:48 p.m.

New optic inbound. 6-24 is absurd for a 22. I am excite. And I already made a deal for the 2-7 and the 1" rings. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/26/24 4:51 p.m.

Picked up a Tisas Raider (M45A1 clone) in 9mm.  Under $500... these Tisas 1911s are amazingly good for the price!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/24 7:19 p.m.

We did a steel challenge drag race today except it was one hand off hand. I actually did much better than expected.   A great way to spend a Sunday morning.  A small turnout ment we got a bunch of rounds in. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/28/24 9:40 a.m.
Rodan said:

Picked up a Tisas Raider (M45A1 clone) in 9mm.  Under $500... these Tisas 1911s are amazingly good for the price!

I've kinda been eyeing those. I want a 1911, and Tisas and Rock Island make affordable ones. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/28/24 10:08 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

I don't think you can beat a Tisas for the features and quality at the price point.  I have been shooting 1911s since the early 1980s, and have examples from Colt, Springfield, Kimber and Ruger and the fit/finish of the Tisas compares very favorably.  Doesn't hurt that Tisas uses forged frames and slides, and have no MIM parts.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/28/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Thanks for those details! I held a Rock Island a little while back and it just didn't seem right. Maybe it would have broken in, but I'm not sure. The Ruger's and Kimber's look nice, but with your review there, and no MIM parts, I may have to keep an eye out for a Tisas deal. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/28/24 12:49 p.m.

I have owned rather a few 1911s. Presently in my safe are offerings from Kimber (10mm), Colt (.45), and RIA (.22 TCM single-stack and double stack, 9mm). 

Honestly, the RIA ones are pretty great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/24 2:14 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Have you decided a budget, and what magnification range you want (LPVO, 3-18x, 4-24x, etc.)?

Before I retired, I worked on a project to pick glass for a .308 DMRish rifle, so I looked at/through a lot of optics.  There's some real values out there now if you're willing to disregard some of the established brands (and prejudices).  IMHO anything Vortex makes that sells for under $1200 is not as good as what you can get for less $$ from Arken, Athlon and Primary Arms.  If 1-6x is good enough, the Vortex Razor GenII is the best glass I've yet seen in an LPVO, but it's really best on a 5.56 rifle.  The GenIII 1-10x is nowhere near as good, and more $$$.   The Nightforce NX scopes aren't all that great, either.

Anything under $1k will be Chinese, regardless of name brand.  $1500 gets you into the Japanese glass, which is better, but you need to start evaluating your mission, and whether the juice is worth the squeeze.  I'm talking subtle differences in clarity that really only matter in low light... like hunting early/late, or professional use.  For a range gun, a lot of that will be irrelevant.  What really matters is that the tracking is accurate and repeatable.

For best performance/price value, I'd look at PA GLX and PLX series, Athlon Chronus and Ares, and Arken EPL.

This guy does some really good reviews on a variety of optics:  https://www.youtube.com/@CDOES/videos

I am looking for something in the 4-25 range (can swing a bit either way, especially in the low end) Budget.  Hummmmm.  I am sure an expensive scope with all the features would be great I don't need it.  I would like to keep it sub 2K.  What I want is FFP, decent glass, bezels that click and lock by pushing down on them, parallax adjustment is a must.  I like the offerings of Arken, PA, and Vortex.  I have not looked at PA and Athlon.  I will have to do that.  I am a fan of Burris scopes.  I have a couple that run up to 4-15X.  I currently have one on my LMT.  While I don't have any issues with their quality I think their offerings are a bit more $$$ for the same that others offer for less.  In short, I am still shopping and doing research.    

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/28/24 3:58 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Burris makes a nice scope, but like Vortex, I think you're paying a bit of a premium for the name these days, but on the flip side they don't have the resale of say, Leupold or NF.  IIRC, they don't make anything with all the features you listed.  The closest, the XTR 3, is made in the Phillipines.  The XTR Pro is made in Colorado... except for the glass, and I couldn't find anything on where the glass comes from.  Burris does have a good rep, and I might have bought one if they had the feature set I was looking for.

Take a hard look at the Athlon Chronus BTR 4.5-29x56.  Made in Japan, FFP, all the features you mentioned.  Good reticle.  That's what I have on my 6.5CM Bergara, and it's REALLY good.  $1500 street price, you can get it a little cheaper if you can work one of the discount sites like Expert Voice. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/24 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Looks like there is now a GEN 2 version of it.  

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/24 9:57 a.m.

I have a sudden want for a 45acp revolver, even though I've never seen a use for them.

 

Must use moon clips too, off to do some research 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
5/29/24 10:08 a.m.
Antihero said:

I have a sudden want for a 45acp revolver, even though I've never seen a use for them.

 

Must use moon clips too, off to do some research 

Used to have a S&W 625 5" full lug and I kick my own ass every week for having sold it.  But I'm never going to sell my Model 25-5 in 45 Colt...

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/24 10:19 a.m.
stroker said:
Antihero said:

I have a sudden want for a 45acp revolver, even though I've never seen a use for them.

 

Must use moon clips too, off to do some research 

Used to have a S&W 625 5" full lug and I kick my own ass every week for having sold it.  But I'm never going to sell my Model 25-5 in 45 Colt...

I already reload for 45 colt, and I'm a fan of the power you can get out of Ruger Only stuff do I'm kinda thinking of a Redhawk so I can get the best of both worlds.

 

I wish I could get a nice snubby 45colt DA for carry sometimes, but it seems limited to Charter Arms and a Judge. I like the polymer Taurus revolver I got but I don't think I'd ever use 410 for anything larger than a squirrel 

1 ... 84 85 86 87 88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
un6OqPf9SoI1c7KO37Utb985BoW23fKSs49nYZPj22ODtGPV0SqrAUGK0O0muc6c