1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/20 1:57 p.m.

I'm painting my living room accent wall "shop towel blue" entirely by accident.

Javelin
3/14/20 2:03 p.m.

Jason McRoberts
Jason McRoberts New Reader
3/14/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

That's a fantastic color!yes

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/20 2:34 p.m.

I have a half acre of brush garbage that when it’s green turns into a half acre of poison ivy. Sooo hopefully taming that

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
3/14/20 5:07 p.m.

I have acquired a 2nd go kart for the back 3/4 acre.  I have 2 sons.  School's out for virus.  Boogity boogity boogity boys!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/14/20 8:00 p.m.

Son #2 just bought his first car... A 1999 Metro. We're already working on removing a LOT of rust but making it look better than this. 

Then we may, just MAY have 1 liter of 3 cylinder fury at the Challenge too!

Already deyellowed the headlights as this will be his daily. 

The right one is awaiting it's coat of BG UV protectant. Amazing difference. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/14/20 8:02 p.m.

...and the best thing (for me) is that he will let me try the Rust-Oleum paint job on it before I do my car.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/15/20 3:49 p.m.
dculberson said:

OMG now I need a $500 Toyota Corona to build up for Lemons racing.

Epic idea, race suits trimmed to look like hazmat suits for the win.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/16/20 7:34 a.m.

I spent time working on my Cougar late last week and over the weekend.  I've got plenty more to do along with working on the motorcycle and home repair projects.  I've already got build threads on the Cougar and Harley.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/16/20 2:06 p.m.

Last week our supervisor laughed off the virus news as a joke. This week our company is floundering, deciding who can and cannot work from home. Their inability to decide reminds me a LOT of the 5-part docudrama "Chernobyl", where the  management/government imagined that there was no problem and everyone should get back to work. Since I'm in "that age group", I'm deciding for them and will stay home but be online via VPN, and they can deal with it.

But I'm over that.

In my new spare time, there are retaining walls to finish, trees to trim, weeds to pull or poison, etc. There's also home repairs, some of which I can do and some I probably shouldn't. This brings to mind an interesting question: Is this a great time - or a terrible time - to have home remodeling done? It's a serious question, to which I can't even guess. Anyhow, there's all that, and deciding on the next car project because, hey, if we can't be planning for something fun, what's the point?

einy
einy HalfDork
3/16/20 6:10 p.m.

Working from home for me also, so I have an extra hour or so due to no commute.  Swapped winter tires on two cars today with my newfound extra time.  Next I will start working on an Exocet diff swap.  If I can get that done by the time this viral nuisance has passed, why that would be super !

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/16/20 7:47 p.m.

Salary employees at my company got told to take their monitors and docking stations home today. We are working remotely for at least the next two weeks and then week by week after that. More time for house projects and the truck for awhile!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/18/20 12:02 p.m.

Mixing cups for spraying arrived. I'm hoping to be able to get a HF temporary garage to spray in without wind before this weekend. 

Going with Rust-Oleum Royal Blue. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/21/20 5:51 p.m.

Not been working from home yet but fam is staying around the house. Got to the yard this afternoon when the sun came out. BIL let me borrow a “Whipper” 8hp mower thing. It’s amazing!

Javelin
3/21/20 6:21 p.m.

Redoing the kitchen and dining room in yellow now.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/22/20 10:29 p.m.

Continued on rust repair with the Chevy Metro. 

...and more rust, and MORE rust. Sigh. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/23/20 8:06 a.m.

All of my own CoronaCars projects have been on the daily driver. So far, I've done rear calipers, a fluid flush, and a valve cover gasket. Now, New England's about to get "Second Winter" after having "Fool's Spring", so maybe I'll clean the garage.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/23/20 8:08 a.m.

Im cleaning the shop while working from home. 

Then, back on the mustang brakes. Rest of the car is done.

After that, challenge car steering fix

Duster carb swap and finish the seats

Darth nader.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/23/20 8:47 a.m.

The Cadimino's bed is stainless steel.  I did the side walls in bed liner roll on material, then ripped 1.25" thick Trex like material down to 1/2".  Stainless carriage bolts hold it down, hope to finish it up today.  The air gate is old steel bed frames people chuck to the side of the road.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/23/20 9:25 a.m.

Got the mustang close to done, and washed my greasy fingerprints off.

And now im scrubbing the shop. Including mopping. 

Javelin
3/27/20 7:43 p.m.

I cleaned off my model workspace!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/28/20 10:19 a.m.

Ok...  yep... my Corona virus (VX)....

and I've been trying to keep going....   The 5V-EU is closer to getting done - now know most of the piston specs, and I now have most of the gaskets. 

Concerning the body....  it is beyond my capability...  so Ive been looking at having it "done" by someone else.  3-5 weeks ago I was looking at higher end resto shops....  now.... ?????

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/5/20 10:42 p.m.

Ran into some issues with the Metro. My 20 year old wanted a car cheap on gas and was willing to have me learn painting on it. I have "learned" all right...

Initially I went with Dusterbd's paint method, but either something was lost in translation, or I misunderstood the notes I took. 

Rustoleum Professional (with the UV inhibitor) mixed 8oz with 8 oz mineral spirits + 1 oz hardener came out like skim milk.

LOTS of drips and sags, but fortunately, most were very thin. 

A friend from work recommended the Eastwood "Painters Nib File Fine" Item# 34000 which did a great job of shaving down the thicker drips without damaging the surrounding area. 

Next go 'round was 8 oz paint, 4 oz mineral spirits, 2 oz hardener. Thanks maschinenbau for the mix in your "rice rod" thread! 

That shot through the HF $10 paint gun almost like a rattle can - very predictable and only one spot with drips from getting too close to the fender. Paint is currently a "passable" ~20 foot job. Which, for my first attempt, was better than I expected! And my 20 year old is very happy with the result so far. 

Wetsanded and with bumpers in Rustoleum matte black (spray can):

And sprayed in multiple coats of Rustoleum Royal Blue:

With the #16 Miata, we struggled painting the hood, which is why we switched to vinyl wrap in 2019. For 2020, it will be back to paint!

There is some orange peel, but overall, I'm super happy for how this has turned out so far. 

We decided to leave the "Metro" lettering in place on the hatch and paint over it. He may hit it with a Sharpie, or just leave it subtle. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
4/9/20 2:59 p.m.

During our weekly call-in meetings, management thought that it would be productive to, each week, have someone talk for five minutes on what's going in their life. Let's see, I could talk about:

1. Researching assisted care places for mom, who's in need of one now at a VERY inconvenient time.

2. The new retaining wall around the fishpond.

3. The telescope I'm building in the garage, on the new workbench above Midlana

4. Machining stuff on the lathe and mill...

Nope. Any of the above will simply reinforce the suspicion that I'm not working. So it was a picture of  our dog...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nOG9WqijahK1HOkQ7xqI6o1yWR3IAYElcp6uDSsICzhcMA0k82SgI0Owe2iMhJap