Joshua
Joshua Dork
4/9/14 11:50 p.m.

Hey guys, I am looking for a pair of boxing (and Muay Thai) gloves as well as other equipment and am wondering what the best (cheapest) place on the internet to buy them is? I am leaning towards a pair of Ringside gloves as my first purchase, I am also interested in a pair of focus mitts, possibly kick pads, shin guards, and a pair of womens gloves for my wife. When I use google I tend to get all the same results and am wondering if there are other places to get them cheaper.

I have a guy who may be getting a pair too so if there is an option of buying two pairs for a discount that would work too.

Thanks,
Josh

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
4/10/14 9:51 a.m.

I would go to a sporting goods store and try some on or swing by a martial arts school or boxing gym and ask what the coaches recommend. They may be willing to go in on a group buy as well. Some of the gloves don't fit as well or hold up as long as others. When I was bag glove shopping I found a pair that looked good but I couldn't even pull them over my hands! I was shocked. They were marked as large but I felt like O.J. trying to squeeze the damn things on. I'm glad I hadn't ordered them online then had to go through the hassle of a return and refund...yadda, yadda.

Make sure you pick up a decent pair of wraps as well, damaged hands and wrists are no fun.

Are you looking for gloves so you can spar or hit a bag?

Joshua
Joshua Dork
4/10/14 1:59 p.m.

I am looking for one glove to use for everything. Basically a bag glove since we don't spar hard at our gym. I use Ringside Gelshock gloves that the gym owns but I would like my own pair for sanitation reasons etc. I've heard good things about Title but all of the Title gloves there are worn out so I can't get a feel for them. I also have used a pair of Lonsdale gloves that I really liked.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
4/10/14 3:35 p.m.

I have a set of 16oz revgear gloves and a 16oz set of ringside sparring gloves (Older version of these )for Muay Thai. I like the ringside ones much better mainly due to the wrist support. The revgear gloves wrist seem to be too soft and allow too much wrist play after a few months of use. I also don't care for the thumb position as much on the revgear gloves.

I also use 120 inch wraps rather than the larger ones so that's something to bear in mind when you're shopping. Also a project box and either flexible duct or some PVC pipe to dry them goes a long way too. Nothing like putting on wet gloves a couple days later.

That said I use Revgear shinguards, headgear, and wraps and like all of them quite a bit.

alex
alex UberDork
4/10/14 11:16 p.m.

This brings up a salient question. I have an old polyvinyl Everlast 75-80lb heavy bag that's in fine shape, but ever since it was new, it's been hard as a rock in the bottom half. Hurts like hell to hit it, even with good wraps and bag gloves. I know, tough it out and all that. But of the few other heavy bags I've hit (in the karate studios where I used to train) none were as dense at the bottom. Now that I'm getting back into working out regularly, and using the heavy bag more often, I'd really like something that's not so...well, hazardous to hit at stomach level. Any recommendations?

With that out of the way, I can honestly recommend Everlast stuff - it lives up to its name. I've had these gloves and this bag for, oh god, at least 20 years, and (if these models were still being sold) they could pass for new, despite both fairly heavy use (hit with all sorts of "weapons" as an overzealous teenager) and fairly heavy neglect (stored in a non-climate-controlled garage the whole time).

Joshua
Joshua Dork
4/13/14 2:03 p.m.

I think you can soften up a bag by dropping it a few times... At least that's what we did with a head hunter hook bag we just got. It was like hitting a tree trunk before we softened it up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XXzgmL7YpkoVDgVwZxJr5WVWLX4S2GmUdAwlEAGQZlcuN1gBfSqBYBCb8CujHPjI