Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/10/10 2:38 p.m.

Done a couple batches and feeling relatively comfortable. Debating whether to step up to partial mash or stick to extract w/grains for a while longer. I had one person say not to even bother with partial mash, that there isn't a lot more involved to go to full mash. Seems like partial mash isn't much extra work. Just additional steeping and rinsing.

I am brewing a Saison next and looking forward to that.

Should I step up my game or get more comfortable with extract brewing?

Note: I just tested my oven and determined that on "warm" it keeps my water at 146-150 without me worrying. Yes.

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
6/10/10 4:04 p.m.

Wow, a 150-degree oven is just screaming for a mini-mash. Since I mash 20 lbs at a time, an oven isn't a very good choice.

I preface this by saying that if you ask an all-grain brewer if stepping up to grain is a worthy exercise, the answer will always be yes Ask my SO the same question (an extract brewer with grain steep), and your answer would be different.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
6/10/10 4:37 p.m.

Look into the brew in bag technique. All the joy of all grain with nearly the ease of extract.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/10/10 6:50 p.m.

Just got back from the homebrew outlet, and the guy there was telling me not to go that route because I'd "need" a mashing tun with a false bottom.

I keep hearing mixed things about the in-bag method. People tell me the utilization just isn't as good. I know it won't be as good, but seems like it should be fine. I've had stuff brewed in bag that seemed perfectly good. I feel very mixed.

Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and exchange what I've got for a smaller bag of extract and some more grains.

Also, the guy was saying to do the Saison with a wheat extract, which seems a bit odd. I know some use wheat, but I haven't read about them typically being wheat based.

Maybe I should go back and exchange some of my stuff, since maybe the guy I was getting advice from is not as wise as I initially thought. Although, including some wheat malts would be pretty tasty.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
6/10/10 9:52 p.m.

There's quite a bit of argument among brewer's about partial mash and sparging and such, but I have been doing partial mashes for several years now, and I am very happy with the results. So much so, that I have basically put any plans to go all grain on hold indefinitely. Do a search on "counter top partial mashing" and you can find information about the process I use, if you're interested.

I'm not that familiar with Saisons, but I do believe that the use of at least some wheat malt is typical for the style. I believe it is generally considered a somewhat loose style, and I've heard of brewer's using a wide variety of ingredients.

-Chris

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/11/10 9:49 a.m.

Going to a true all-grain set-up is not hard. I just completed a mash tun myself, $20 for an Igloo Ice Cube cooler (which will hold over 26 pounds of grain...hooray barleywine!), $2 for a piece of copper pipe, $18 or so for a Bazooka T Tube (works like a false bottom, only cheaper and works better for my square cooler), and a $5 valve from Home Depot. Grab a torch and solder a few things, done!

Also, find some local people who brews. Chances are there is someone near you who does all-grain, and they'd be willing to help. Or go to your local homebrew store, they would probably give you a hand.

As for the saison, there is usually a little wheat in it, but not much. Mostly Pilsner malt, a little Belgian malt, some aromatic/biscuit, and some wheat. And be sure to use LaChouffe's yeast and to ferment at around 85 or 90 for a few days after a day at 65 or 70. I'm not kidding, it will be awesome. If you've never had LaChouffe's saison, find a bottle. Freaking amazing.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/11/10 2:39 p.m.

I'm feeling too lazy to culture the La Chouffe yeast right now (I have had it before, and it does kick ass). The WL568 is the only easily available one. There are probably better ones out there, but I know it's good and appropriate for the style.

I'm going to go exchange some stuff, after getting a bunch of different advice. This is what I'm now shooting for:

5# Pils Malt Extract 5# Pils Malt 1# Munich 1# Wheat 1# Sugar

3oz. Hallertauer or Tettnanger 1oz @ 60min 1oz @ 15min 1oz @ 5min

1day water cooled with an old t-shirt to wick extra water (~68) 1day water cooled with no cooling wrap (~70) 1day at ambient air temp (~72) Then a heat wrap or moving locations in the apartment to warm the temps up a bit each day.

When I get it up to 80-85, I'll swirl the bottle and maybe add 1# of simple syrup.

I'm thinking I can ferment it all in a 6gal better bottle if I control those temps for the first couple of days and use a decent blow-off tube.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XqapmBKOY7CFa3v2XsG5vrqm8TfPFDZMnclAjFZoK1LLiHZ4zegtG1VvfzspmdYR