fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/20/20 3:57 p.m.

Since I can't go to best buy and bunch of random car audio stores and start touching buttons and get a feel for these things  I'm ready to buy and install a decent radio for the suburban. 

"Requirements":

1. Double din with remote GPS antenna
  2. Preferably no CD player 
  3. bluetooth
  4. I have an android phone
  5. multiple camera input. 2 is okay but 3 is better. 
    1. backup cam (to help with trailer)
    2. trailer cam (to help with backing up, lane changes)
    3. dash cam? may be nice to keep that option open
  6. HD screen
  7. I have no plans to ever upgrade the audio system in the truck, stock is plenty fine.

I want to have a standalone GPS for if I ever really do any overlanding but mostly for rally service we are usually in the middle of nowhere and cell/GPS signal may be pretty bad. 

What am I even searching for? I Know with the connector kits and to retain the steering wheel controls this can be a 4 digit project quickly (even before acquiring cameras) Because of this "investment" I want to pick the brain of the hive on what experiences or knowledge can help me here. What brands are good these days and who should I shy away from, any helpful audio pages these days? 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/20 5:54 p.m.

In the grand GRM tradition of giving someone something other than what they asked for, I present this. (I did some research on this product a few months ago, so it's top of mind for me.)

Garmin Overlander.

The mount is a pretty stout window mount or RAM ball mount. The "tablet" connects to the mount with a magnet and pogo pins, so you don't have wires to connect every time you remove the tablet. Has built-in road and overland maps, along with route planning software, and can connect to as many as four of Garmin's BC-35 wireless cameras. Can provide bluetooth calling through a paired phone, and can pair to Garmin's Inreach text messaging satelite communicators to give you a friendlier interface for typing out your messages. Also connects to a Garmin trip planning website.

That said, some overlander's reviews seem lukewarm, since it's a $700 MSRP (Garmin has it on sale for $600) for a closed tablet with what would, for a general purpose tablet, be middling specs. It also has a price premium over the similar Dezl commercial truck offerings. When $700 will get you a 4G iPad, (GPS/GNSS isn't on the wi-fi only iPad) rugged case, and a tablet mount, the Garmin is has been reviewed by some as too specialized and limited. Also, it uses micro-USB in 2020, and while covered in a ruggedized shell, is not water resistant. 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/21/20 8:19 a.m.

that is cool but that doesn't solve my no bluetooth bad OEM radio problem. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ninUZxJftg4913K6m2ECREHWmoccit6DbQDhNJrNdOjIIamKhzhsFneVExD3glke