1 2
mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
8/24/16 3:29 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Looks good. How hard was it to locate the joists/studs to attach your deck to the house?

Well, the ledger is attached to the house and the joists are attached to the ledger with joist hangers, so once the ledger is on the spacing is just 16" OC generally, there are a few closer together.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
9/6/16 9:12 a.m.

Ok so almost done, here's the roof so far.

photo Deckroof_zpsyb2kjpzg_1.jpg

procker
procker Reader
9/6/16 9:22 a.m.

Would love having you over to build a deck at our house!!

Looking good!

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
9/28/16 10:43 a.m.

OK, so I passed the final inspection. All that is left is to shingle the roof. I put out all the furniture to get an idea and feel of the lay out. The furniture ultimately gets reduced by one full set, it won't be this cluttered, and the roof gets a drape. I also poured the pads and did the steps on both sides. Pads had to extend 3 feet past the bottom step, so it was a lot of cement. Glad I still had the HF mixer.

photo Steps_zps26bzw8up_1.jpg

photo Side Deck_zpscctd4hct_1.jpg

photo Front Deck_zpseanflvgg_1.jpg

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
9/28/16 4:27 p.m.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/28/16 4:53 p.m.

Nice job! You made it look so easy

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/29/16 3:33 p.m.

Usually i'm a composite deck kinda guy but damn that wood looks good!

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
10/25/16 12:55 p.m.

Finally finished. The roof was shingled and flashed, all the little trim cuts were made, and the platform steps in the front were finished. A lot of my free time from June to October. I think storing everyone's photos is finally catching up to Photobucket and I can't rotate this one, sorry.

photo Deck Done_zpsaxcegoci.jpg

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/16 12:57 p.m.

In reply to mattmacklind:

That turned out great!

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
6/13/17 9:06 a.m.

Update, stained the deck this year, two tones, both Olympic. Cinder for the arbor supports and detail boards, and Teak for everything else. The teak was a little darker than I really wanted but I'm sure it will fade some. Semi-transparent.

Did some landscaping around it. the skinny looking trees on the right hand side are Eastern or Short Leaf Pines. Kind of favorites of mine. They do grow to be huge but we'll see how they do. I don't think the one on the right side will survive, both were hold overs through the season at a local native plant nursery, so they sat in containers through the Winter. I have a few other young pines arund, and some lob lollies (non-native) as well. Anyway, just updating.

photo DeckFinish_zps4o85dpi3_2.jpg

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/13/17 10:16 a.m.

Nice job!

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
6/13/17 11:29 a.m.

Looks great, but shhhh don't let me wife see, she'll want one too and I'm already behind on 6 other projects!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/13/17 12:10 p.m.

In reply to mattmacklind:

Man that is impressive!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QonGdy9WypixtFBQcxJtjdNS3KiGBMaCrtjA9l9tMoZsIm5L3MWcPS9MZ8GNfbxv