1 2 3
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/13/14 9:48 p.m.

I am a big fan of radio control.

Can we have a radio control thread? Y'know, for posting pictures and talking about our radio controlled things?

I had many Kyosho vehicles back in the early 90s...An Ultima, an Optima...Dunno if anyone here knows what those are. But I'm sorta dipping my toe back into the hobby now and bought a Vaterra Glamis Uno. It's reminiscent of the original Ultima but is a 1/8th scale and brushless. It has been pretty fun.

But I hate the fact that there are basically NO kits any more aside from the high-end race stuff. You don't even get to paint the body to make the car your own. That sucks. Kids these days don't wanna do anything for themselves...

Oh, and I have some quadcopters and an airplane. What have you guys got?

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/13/14 10:20 p.m.

Right now? Whew, a lot. I miss kits as well.

Losi Mini T

Losi Micro T

Traxxas Slash

Hobbyzone Champ

Parkzone Mini-Vapor

Parkzone Cub on floats

Parkzone F4U Corsair

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/13/14 10:24 p.m.

Erm.... I built this-

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/traxxas-rustler-to-slash-2wd-conversion-or-grassroots-rc-sports/66293/page1/

I also have a wildly overbuilt and custom drift rig that started life as a stock Tamiya TB03, and is now a Japanese Eagle Racing TBO3 GRT V2 chassis, custom shocks, 5700kv 4 pole mamba.... all that. THEN there's the Team Associated 18MT that's being prepped for a 6800kv micro pro... I'm not 100% WTF I was thinking when I bought that. Last but not least- there's the Team Associated Factory Team T4.... it's actually stock, for now. So.... I do RC.

EDT
EDT New Reader
3/13/14 10:39 p.m.

My current stable includes a HPI Baja 5b ( I tried nitro but gas is so much easier to maintain)

Electrifly Electrostick

Electrifly Sopwith Camel

And many foam planes of my own design or from plans. I tried my hand at building balsa planes from kits but they took too much time to build for the amount of flight time they would get before they were scrapped. I need to practice landing a little more.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/13/14 10:42 p.m.

Oh yeah and a Flyzone DR1

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/14 11:12 p.m.

I have a Littlest Stik I've been perpetually building on and off (an hour on, a few years off) for several years now. It's a reproduction of an Ace kit. Should be awesome for the Cox TD .010 I picked up when I worked at Eugene Toy & Hobby... I actually built one of the Ace version back then, though never got as far as covering it. As far as I know, it's still hanging from their ceiling.

Obviously not a pic of mine, since mine still looks substantially like a pile of balsa:

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/14/14 6:49 a.m.

Why sure:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/hybrid-rc-car-build-thread/78255/page1/

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/14/14 6:54 a.m.

I got rid of my RC10 buggy and HPI RS4 Colin McRae era WRC Focus in the last year. Now own zero RC toys, but seeing as I have water in my backyard, have been doing some research on RC sailboats.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/14/14 8:14 a.m.

Currently I have a Factory Team SC10 that needs a new body mounted, a Duratrax Cliff Climber that I have extended to a 1/10 scaler/crawler, the body is a Nissan Hardbody, it's still a build in progress. I also have a couple of older touring cars that would need some work to get back running, an X-Ray T1, which will probably end up being my sons car, and a Kawada SV-10 that needs to be rebuilt.

I also have another Associated SC10 that has become my sons truck to replace his old Slash, which I also still have. My son wanted to have a police truck so I did his up with lights and a paintjob he designed. I made a little youtube video of the lights right here.

Here's a pic of the Kawada setup for VTA racing, and one of the X-Ray T2 I use to have.

slefain
slefain UberDork
3/14/14 8:35 a.m.

I bought this last year:

HPI Wheely King

Stupid fun and a screaming bargain at $200 ready-to-run. And it is waterproof!

I have a Traxxas Bullet and a Tamiya Falcon that need to be rebuilt with modern electronics and bodies.

jde
jde Reader
3/18/14 1:08 p.m.

In reply to t25torx:

Totally dig the Hot Wheels livery on the VTA body!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
1/17/15 8:36 p.m.

I put crawler wheels and tires on my Ultima. It's a work in progress:

Will
Will SuperDork
1/17/15 9:05 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD:

My first "real" RC was a Kyosho Outlaw Ultima. It made it into the Reader's Rides section in RC Car Action magazine back in 94.

Also had a Traxxas LS2, Parma Hemi Coupe, and an HPI RS4 II. Airtronics radios, Trinity Gem series motors, Novak ESCs, etc. Quit the game before the new brushless/LiPo stuff totally transformed the electric cars.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/17/15 9:22 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I put crawler wheels and tires on my Ultima. It's a work in progress:

Funny, I was just thinking about putting stampede muds on the slash junker.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/17/15 11:28 p.m.

Santa Barbara class race boat. Going to build a 1 meter at some point in the future but I just love the big boats.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/18/15 7:25 a.m.

That thing is huge!

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
1/18/15 3:37 p.m.

My daughter and I race every weekend we can(once the weather gets warmer) this will be her forth season racing,..she races in our spec Traxxas Slash class. I have a Losi 22sct with it set up to run with the mid motor configuration.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/18/15 4:12 p.m.
mndsm wrote: That thing is huge!

Tons of fun when the boats get big ~5 foot to the top of the mast. We have 20-30 of them that race locally and it quite the sight,

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/18/15 4:58 p.m.

I can imagine that it is. But that makes me want to have a scale pirate ship and go shooting scale cannons, because I can't have anything nice.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
1/18/15 5:55 p.m.

I stopped rc cars when I realized I had a couple grand into mine and figured out they are almost as expensive and time consuming as competing in the lower tiers of racing (like chump/lemons, ice racing, rallyx, and IT road racing).

That doesn't mean I don't think of the day I have a little bastard running around that wants one :p

My weapon of choice was a GS Storm with some whizbangy chassis parts from europe (titanium chassis before it was cool y0!), upgraded diffs, and a couple other parts. Won some races with it!

This was a decade ago. The hobby has changed considerably, for the better. I remember getting rare issues of rc car action before they were readily available, and tower hobbies catalogues before there was such a thing as rc car hobby stores in Alberta (well, there were two, one in Edmonton, one in Calgary, and I lived 1.5 hours away!)

racerboy000
racerboy000 Reader
1/18/15 9:17 p.m.

I have a sc10 2wd, losi scte with mip chassis kit, losi 22 2wd buggy, durango dex410 4wd buggy. Latrax rally car, traxxas 1/16 ken block rally car. I have mqx quad, a flying wing. Play wing around with fpv flying when I can.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/19/15 8:23 a.m.

As a joke my M-I-L gave me toy rc mustang for xmas. With fresh AA's it can do endless donuts in the kitchen.

Never had a "real" RC car.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/19/15 8:26 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: As a joke my M-I-L gave me toy rc mustang for xmas. With fresh AA's it can do endless donuts in the kitchen. Never had a "real" RC car.

Don't ever get a real one. There's two kinds of people on this earth. People that don't have a hobby grade RC car, and people that have 30 of them.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/19/15 8:38 a.m.

I have a 2wd stampede that I bought on sale (the next gen stuff was coming out) at tower a couple-3 years ago. I hardly run it since I've found that it is almost as expensive as my real cars.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
1/20/15 4:09 p.m.

In the mid-90s I quit racing RC cars in favor of road racing full size motorcycles 'cause it was cheaper. Truth.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZtLvnKYYNX9sT1V6yvsc3OVYbVnjMyLBMDCbDc3KpwGpNKTuYigKIxfyz7xruVtS