1 ... 3405 3406 3407 3408 3409 ... 4667
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/12/17 9:17 p.m.
NickD wrote: Seriously proud of how this thing is turning out

Looks Awesome!

you should make this your new profile Avatar pic.

required hot link:

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
4/12/17 10:25 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/13/17 6:43 a.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/13/17 6:58 a.m.
kazoospec wrote:
NickD wrote:
Robbie wrote: In reply to NickD: Can you give us a shot of the interior?
Nothing too exciting there. Stock pretty much everything except for a Nardi 330mm Deep Corn, M-Edition Nardi shift knob, Alcantara shift boot with blue stitching and FM pedals.
Unless you love the way the Nardi looks (some do), a countersunk metal shift knob will improve the feel of the shifter by about 1000%. I ended up with a Voodoo like this one: Just for the heck of it, I put the Nardi back on after driving with the Voodoo for a few weeks and it felt like I was shifting with a broom handle. YMMV. Nice looking ride, BTW.

See, I was trying to fully kit the interior out with Nardi gear. I'm just missing the e-brake handle from an M-Edition. But everyone who is selling one flakes on me. We talk, agree on price, then I try to set up payment and they vanish and I never hear from them again. I have one at my house, but the seller said it was in good shape and he apparently defined "good" as "used by a dog as a chew toy".

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/13/17 7:11 a.m.
Indy-Guy wrote:
NickD wrote: Seriously proud of how this thing is turning out
Looks Awesome! you should make this your new profile Avatar pic. required hot link:

It looks especially good considering this is how it came home 3 years ago today. The car was cosmetically and mechanically a mess and I might have overpaid. But it didn't have any rust.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/13/17 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
4/13/17 7:17 a.m.
NickD wrote:
kazoospec wrote:
NickD wrote:
Robbie wrote: In reply to NickD: Can you give us a shot of the interior?
Nothing too exciting there. Stock pretty much everything except for a Nardi 330mm Deep Corn, M-Edition Nardi shift knob, Alcantara shift boot with blue stitching and FM pedals.
Unless you love the way the Nardi looks (some do), a countersunk metal shift knob will improve the feel of the shifter by about 1000%. I ended up with a Voodoo like this one: Just for the heck of it, I put the Nardi back on after driving with the Voodoo for a few weeks and it felt like I was shifting with a broom handle. YMMV. Nice looking ride, BTW.
See, I was trying to fully kit the interior out with Nardi gear. I'm just missing the e-brake handle from an M-Edition. But everyone who is selling one flakes on me. We talk, agree on price, then I try to set up payment and they vanish and I never hear from them again. I have one at my house, but the seller said it was in good shape and he apparently defined "good" as "used by a dog as a chew toy".

I agree, after owning a 94 M edition with the Nardi knob getting a weighted one makes it so much better. I got a pretty hammered one that I ended up bringing back to life, that looked and felt great.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/13/17 7:33 a.m.

Aluminium shift knobs are the work of the devil and should be banned by the Geneva convention. When I bought my old SVT Contour it had a wonderful short throw shifter with an aluminium knob on the end, the result was your hand froze to it in winter and it burned the skin off you in the summer. The round shape and weight were nice, but it sucked 99.9% of the time to touch it.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/13/17 9:12 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Aluminium shift knobs are the work of the devil and should be banned by the Geneva convention. When I bought my old SVT Contour it had a wonderful short throw shifter with an aluminium knob on the end, the result was your hand froze to it in winter and it burned the skin off you in the summer. The round shape and weight were nice, but it sucked 99.9% of the time to touch it.

Yeah, metal and leather shift knobs in a convertible are not enjoyable. Nothing like getting in and doing a DIY Red Hot Nickel Ball vs Human Flesh video

I know that you are supposed to hate the M-Edition knob but it doesn't bother me. Not like I'm powershifting the car with how crunchy the 2nd and 3rd synchros are.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
4/13/17 1:55 p.m.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
4/13/17 2:58 p.m.

Best pic I can find, it was a nylon teardrop with a weight inside it. It was from Quaiffe if I remember corrrectly.

photo A60CamDump060.jpg

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/13/17 4:29 p.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

Sooo, like a stock miata knob in white?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/13/17 5:04 p.m.

This seems like a good time to ask- Why do we want a heavy shift knob?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/17 5:14 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: This seems like a good time to ask- Why do we want a heavy shift knob?

I think they damp vibrations and give a bit more meat to the shift. Even stock knobs are weighted.

The Miata Club of America used to sell a shift knob that was, no kidding, an oven knob. Super-light plastic. Terrible.

This is not it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/14/17 8:12 a.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/14/17 8:45 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/14/17 9:02 a.m.
etifosi wrote:

I never knew they made those shifters out of puppy dog noses.

Here's a whale penis leather interior:

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/17 9:42 a.m.

mapper
mapper HalfDork
4/14/17 1:01 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/14/17 1:54 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:

Depleted Uranium nose cone? I worked on the first Bunker Buster, super hard nose; casing was an old 8" Navy gun.

I saw the testing, poked through 14 ft. of reinforced concrete, hit the desert 1/2 mile later, skipped once and disappeared. Nice.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/14/17 2:00 p.m.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
4/14/17 2:35 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

Dunno if this is true but I remember reading the test of the first bunker busters they developed prior to GW1. Test #1 supposedly went so deep they never found it...

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
4/14/17 3:20 p.m.

It's not everyday in the life of a counter jockey that a customer brings you art.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/14/17 6:55 p.m.
stroker wrote: In reply to 914Driver: Dunno if this is true but I remember reading the test of the first bunker busters they developed prior to GW1. Test #1 supposedly went so deep they never found it...

No worries, it was inert.

Got Stella some southwestern bling while in Santa Fe.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
4/14/17 7:10 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:

1 ... 3405 3406 3407 3408 3409 ... 4667

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZV2xim6Nv8K9OfMET5KKnwQBBZbK9NK9Va7HqNtBvfGhLQwfNfW6a058joacvQhw