These can be owned for ~$6k.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/5/17 8:39 a.m.

Bi-Baby is twice as good as a Fly-baby.

W.Cougar Mellonballer The Third
W.Cougar Mellonballer The Third GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/17 12:54 p.m.

Finally!! A way to get books without waiting for the mailman to bring them.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
11/5/17 1:13 p.m.

Wxdude10 said:

Makes me think of

I was like 8 years old when they killed off Optimus and created Rodimus, I'm still a little bitter about it.

11/5/17 8:23 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/6/17 6:47 a.m.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
11/6/17 6:53 a.m.

[URL=http://s630.photobucket.com/user/boostedss05/media/IMG_20171106_054955.jpg.html][/URL] maybe I'll final be able to post a picture. Spotted at guns & hoses yesterday in Grand Prairie 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/6/17 6:59 a.m.
Apple Cougar Mellonseed said:

They're thinking about privatizing air traffic control. As a pilot...no.  Just no.

I thought that was finally dead again?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/6/17 7:13 a.m.
Apple Cougar Mellonseed said:

They're thinking about privatizing air traffic control. As a pilot...no.  Just no.

I thought that was finally dead again?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
11/6/17 7:34 a.m.

11/6/17 9:22 a.m.
Knurled. said:
FlightService said:

GM Streetcar Conspiracy
Before World War II, many large American cities had built a system of streetcars to help with the mass transit needs of their citizens. General Motors (along with Firestone Tires, Philips Petroleum, and Standard Oil Company) secretly bought streetcar operations in over 45 cities over a period of fourteen years. The systems were shut down and converted to bus routes, which caused the public to become more reliant on owning an automobile – a vested interest of each of the involved companies. The companies were found guilty in a 1949 trial and again in a 1951 appeal, but the damage had already been done. America was to become a nation of automobile owners and drivers.

Tell me again the story of why privatizing public systems is good.  I like a good horror story.

Like any good conspiracy theory there are few facts to back up the killing of the streetcar. Streetcars faced a number of problems that caused them to die off.  Unlike buses which run on the same streets as everyone else they need dedicated tracks to be laid and maintained and electricity to be provided either through overhead lines or in the tracks.  That meant if you wanted to change a route as populations shifted like they were starting to do in the post war years, or if you wanted to add service you had to rip up roads and build tracks which is an expensive undertaking.  To add buses you just had to buy more buses, and changing routes just involved giving new directions. The existing streetcars were private companies that were losing money because the post war economy was driving up the cost of labor while the contracts they had with their cities often capped the amount they could raise their fares.  One of the reason NCL and PCL were able to buy these companies is that they were not very profitable.    City populations moving to the suburbs also cut into the customer base needed to keep a privately owned streetcar in business.  Eventually most cities had to take over and subsidize their transportation operations because they operate at a loss to keep fares affordable. 

The Federal Government would continue to go after GM for Anti trust issues regarding their bus business as they always had the largest share of the American transit bus industry often bordering on a monopoly but that was often because they built a far superior product.  We still have a large fleet of GM designed buses on the road that are almost 20 years old and are holding up far better than the newer buses hat were to replace them. 

Indy-Cougar-Guy
Indy-Cougar-Guy SuperDork
11/6/17 10:43 a.m.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
11/6/17 11:28 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

How'd you do? I was driving Miles' IS300 in STX. Super fun course, I loved the finish over the crest.

11/6/17 11:35 a.m.

11/6/17 1:31 p.m.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
11/6/17 3:51 p.m.

Seems to be making a splash at SEMA, Convert your boring H-Pattern box to a sequential shifter! (Bremer Shifters)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/6/17 3:59 p.m.
W.Cougar Mellonballer The Third said:
Knurled. said:
FlightService said:

GM Streetcar Conspiracy
Before World War II, many large American cities had built a system of streetcars to help with the mass transit needs of their citizens. General Motors (along with Firestone Tires, Philips Petroleum, and Standard Oil Company) secretly bought streetcar operations in over 45 cities over a period of fourteen years. The systems were shut down and converted to bus routes, which caused the public to become more reliant on owning an automobile – a vested interest of each of the involved companies. The companies were found guilty in a 1949 trial and again in a 1951 appeal, but the damage had already been done. America was to become a nation of automobile owners and drivers.

Tell me again the story of why privatizing public systems is good.  I like a good horror story.

Like any good conspiracy theory there are few facts to back up the killing of the streetcar. Streetcars faced a number of problems that caused them to die off.  Unlike buses which run on the same streets as everyone else they need dedicated tracks to be laid and maintained and electricity to be provided either through overhead lines or in the tracks.  That meant if you wanted to change a route as populations shifted like they were starting to do in the post war years, or if you wanted to add service you had to rip up roads and build tracks which is an expensive undertaking.  To add buses you just had to buy more buses, and changing routes just involved giving new directions. The existing streetcars were private companies that were losing money because the post war economy was driving up the cost of labor while the contracts they had with their cities often capped the amount they could raise their fares.  One of the reason NCL and PCL were able to buy these companies is that they were not very profitable.    City populations moving to the suburbs also cut into the customer base needed to keep a privately owned streetcar in business.  Eventually most cities had to take over and subsidize their transportation operations because they operate at a loss to keep fares affordable. 

The Federal Government would continue to go after GM for Anti trust issues regarding their bus business as they always had the largest share of the American transit bus industry often bordering on a monopoly but that was often because they built a far superior product.  We still have a large fleet of GM designed buses on the road that are almost 20 years old and are holding up far better than the newer buses hat were to replace them. 

what is this? Fact and logic? Never let the facts and truth get in the way of a good commie conspicacy theory...

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/17 4:23 p.m.
Skervey said:

Seems to be making a splash at SEMA, Convert your boring H-Pattern box to a sequential shifter! (Bremer Shifters)

Saw that. Was very interested as that would be really awesome. Looked at the price tag. $2400!! On top of that, I have my doubts as to how well it would actually hold up under abuse. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/17 10:07 p.m.

She isn't a bug, she's a Feature.

1 ... 3511 3512 3513 3514 3515 ... 4665

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iN2H8DK38n8TQmrAoXYQMMd2mbLzMq3X5QdOyrSmppdwVFmfSxJdhxo6b7P46pBh