Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/23/20 6:55 p.m.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 6:56 p.m.
DonnonGT said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

The lines where the car broke apart are straight and uniform. That car was probably wrecked previously and it was put back together by a less than scrupulous body shop. A common method of repair for people buying wrecked cars to repair and resell is to cut off the damaged section of the car and weld on a straight section of another car. The car may look ok when its done, but its structural integrity is gone. The car will break apart along the weld lines, just like that car in your post. I'm not saying that is what happened to that car, but that is how they break. Buying salvage title cars is a crapshoot and it can end up being a deadly mistake.

Spot welds are also just weak sometimes.  When I was at the dealership, my group of technicians also did the heavy mechanical R&R and alignments for the body shop.  We had a Cougar (front drive chassis) that they sent to us for alignment, and the front end was still so bent that one of the subframe mounting points has no bolt in it because its position on the shell was about 4 inches away.  So they grumbled and groused and put it on the frame machine to pull it some more.  We nevr saw that car again because apparently when they tried to pull it, it popped all of the spot welds in the nose and they convinced the insurance company to total the car.

It was also common on the Ford Tempo/Topaz for curbstrikes to blow a bunch of spotwelds apart in the nose near where the front stabilizer attached.  (It did double duty as a TCA locator device, like a Ford of Europe car)

I don't mean to bag on Ford, but those are stuck in memory.  There's a good reason why proper preparation of a car for motorsports involves stitch welding the chassis.

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
1/23/20 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Necco wafers rock!

Knurled.
1/23/20 7:57 p.m.
neverdone said:

In reply to Duke :

Necco wafers rock!

The first time those words were ever put in that order.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/20 6:22 a.m.

I'll see you your unfortunate Alfa Romeo and raise you a (I assume) 2-gen Camaro:

drainoil
drainoil Dork
1/24/20 6:51 a.m.

Duke said:

I'll see you your unfortunate Alfa Romeo and raise you a (I assume) 2-gen Camaro:

Reminds of the movie Corvette Summer.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/20 7:10 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/24/20 7:39 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/24/20 7:40 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/24/20 7:52 a.m.
914Driver said:

Need more details, what's the writing on the side say?  

Image result for vw beetle  narrow gauge railway engine

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
1/24/20 8:59 a.m.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/24/20 9:19 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
914Driver said:

Need more details, what's the writing on the side say?  

Image result for vw beetle  narrow gauge railway engine

Lindhorst Express, I believe. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/24/20 9:24 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

THX, but still not finding it even going as far as searching 'Lindhorst Express vw narrow guage train'

Image result for Lindhorst Express vw narrow gauge train

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/20 11:47 a.m.

Sigh.  I miss you, Syd.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/20 12:07 p.m.

And not really a Syd Mead design - though it sure looks like one:

chandler
chandler PowerDork
1/24/20 12:08 p.m.

lol

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/24/20 12:16 p.m.
chandler said:

lol

What the actual berkeley is that? Unless you're showing up at customer sites or it's expected that you're representing the company in some way with your vehicle, it's none of their business. 

What company is that? I want to make sure I never use them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/20 12:54 p.m.

11.6L, 2-rotor diesel rotary engine.  750-1000 hp.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/24/20 1:55 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

I'm kinda impressed at how angry that letter made me. I wonder whether it's real, not that it's inconceivable...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/20 2:10 p.m.
Duke said:

Still no torque? laugh

I wonder how the seals hold up to that kind of compression? 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/20 2:11 p.m.
chandler said:

lol

Pretty sure I'd be driving SanFord to work for a couple of weeks. 

Or better yet. New car and get it wrapped. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/20 2:19 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
Duke said:

Still no torque? laugh

I wonder how the seals hold up to that kind of compression?

It was designed to be modular, up to 6 rotors and 3,000 hp when turbocharged.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/20 2:21 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

"if you do not appreciate my taste in vehicles, you can issue me something more to your liking"

Wow though, being so fiscally responsible as to not run out an take on a ridiculous car payment means you're NOT responsible enough for a position? 

I've heard of goofy E36 M3 from HR departments, but this is some next level E36 M3. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/24/20 2:22 p.m.
Duke said:

But the Alfa was a nice car at one point in its life.

Unrelated Alfa

Knurled.
1/24/20 4:58 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to chandler :

"if you do not appreciate my taste in vehicles, you can issue me something more to your liking"

Wow though, being so fiscally responsible as to not run out an take on a ridiculous car payment means you're NOT responsible enough for a position? 

I've heard of goofy E36 M3 from HR departments, but this is some next level E36 M3. 

Depending on the company, they may have a point.  One wouldn't expect to be taken seriously after showing up to a board meeting in a T-shirt, cutoff jeans, and flip-flops. Gotta have a suit that cost more than some peoples' houses.

OTOH if it's a glorified call center job, they can berk right off.

I was told, once, to fix my exhaust so it doesn't make the company look bad.  He kind of had a point.  Likewise, as much as it would rule to have a 944 as a summer car, it'd be bad optics to get your Honda worked on by some guy in a Porsche.  ("How expensive ARE these guys??")

1 ... 4000 4001 4002 4003 4004 ... 4667

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsIbGF3Ylzkb7M6kiPKNF1GuDrUrUMDR43yRu7Q9LKzuEXoCWMSdYT3cNKfB0Y8t