Donebrokeit UltraDork
5/22/20 9:22 p.m.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
5/22/20 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That thrust bearing looks like the poo.

The rest I'd rerun.....

I think I'd have the crank looked at though, or maybe the block as there is something not happy there.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/20 9:55 p.m.
bentwrench said:

That thrust bearing looks like the poo.

The rest I'd rerun.....

I think I'd have the crank looked at though, or maybe the block as there is something not happy there.

Crank looks beautiful, rods look okay.  Dunno.  The block deck needed to be cut .008" to be flat and he wouldn't touch the head because it was over .018" warped.  High wear on the thrust might be because of firing order weirdness, or it might have been coolant in the oil, who knows.  The thrust was the reason I bought new bearings, because its ugliness would catch a fingernail hard.  Crank looks perfect though.

Genuine Volvo bearings are $28-53 per shell.  Got a set of Pocky brand bearings for $72/set at FCP Euro, so if I'm doing one I'm doing them all.

Well, all the lowers anyway.  The uppers looked perfect.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/23/20 2:04 p.m.

Evening gentlemen.

where are your hotlinks? 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
5/23/20 4:23 p.m.

Memorial Day Weekend

There are a few iconic pictures that bring tears to my eyes. This is one.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/20 6:23 p.m.

A Grand National (or clone) out in the wild.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/23/20 7:51 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

Looks to be a cold air T-type.  GNs never had hood ornaments.  Or chrome bumpers or door locks.  And half the badges are missing.  And the seats are wrong.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/20 8:46 p.m.

Waiting for SCCA to create that side-by-side rallyx class. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
5/23/20 9:07 p.m.

We have friends over for the 1st time in months tonight, fully legally. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/20 10:10 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Looks to be a cold air T-type.  GNs never had hood ornaments.  Or chrome bumpers or door locks.  And half the badges are missing.  And the seats are wrong.

Ah! Cool, I didn't know that the T-Type was a thing, and that the Grand National was an extension of the T-Type. Thanks!

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/20 7:27 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/24/20 8:09 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Ah! Cool, I didn't know that the T-Type was a thing, and that the Grand National was an extension of the T-Type. Thanks!

Buick was all about turbocharging in the early 80s.  Every model had a T-type, although IIRC the LeSabre and Park Avenue did not.  You could get a carbureted turbo LeSabre in the 70s though.  They also never had a turbo engine in the front drive Century (the T-type Century was just a trim job) but there were turbo rear drive Centurys.

Skyhawk T-type.

!.8l SOHC Opel-derived engine with a turbo.  The same engine later found itself getting much more power in the Sunbird and Grand Am.  (175hp, IIRC, which was crazy high for the 80s)

Don't bother looking for one.  Practically all 1.8 and 2.0 SOHC engines cracked the cylinder heads by 60k miles or so, and the turbo versions were even more prone to it.  A whole industry popped up for repairing the heads, kind like the German V6 used in Fords.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/24/20 12:18 p.m.

Found this online. No meat shortage here!

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/24/20 1:11 p.m.

Putting the harbor freight engine hoist/saver of my back to use again. Its never pulled an engine from a car but it has moved a few small motors. Usually its just stuff like this, putting heavy stuff on a bench so i can work on it easier. I have a few herniated discs so i cant be dumb about picking up heavy stuff. Time to fix this extra generator and move it to a new owner. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/24/20 1:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said

Skyhawk T-type.

!.8l SOHC Opel-derived engine with a turbo.  The same engine later found itself getting much more power in the Sunbird and Grand Am.  (175hp, IIRC, which was crazy high for the 80s)

Don't bother looking for one.  Practically all 1.8 and 2.0 SOHC engines cracked the cylinder heads by 60k miles or so, and the turbo versions were even more prone to it. 

I'm searching for some sort of picture that sums up my memory of those cars, but finding a view down the hole of a Porto John after an outdoor music festival celebrating tacos and inadequate refrigeration isn't easy to find.

Those have to be in consideration for the worst car ever built.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
5/24/20 1:51 p.m.

I owned an 86 sunbird with 1.8 turbo. I never cracked a head but it did warp easily, learned running strait 30w helped keep the oil from leaking(haha). 
I swapped in t25 from 300zx, true cai, 3 in exhaust, beefed up ignition system, and cranked boost up to 12-14, and whoo that was fun car.

Funniest memories from that car is I owned it when F&F came out, and rice bois in civics with vato zone upgrades thought were they E36 M3. They didn't like getting their asses handed to them by an ugly 80s Pontiac!!

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
5/24/20 2:51 p.m.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
5/24/20 3:08 p.m.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
5/24/20 6:55 p.m.

Man great wrap on this

Gary
Gary UltraDork
5/24/20 10:52 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/25/20 6:31 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/25/20 6:35 a.m.

Did you know that Arlington National Cemetery used to be Robert E.  Lee's farm?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/25/20 6:39 a.m.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/25/20 7:07 a.m.
914Driver said:

Did you know that Arlington National Cemetery used to be Robert E.  Lee's farm?

Actually it was his wife's family "farm".  Some Union Officer started burying the dead there during the Civil War to give the finger to Lee.  I believe Lee never returned to the property after he left it.  

1 ... 4112 4113 4114 4115 4116 ... 4668

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o0V03CG7N2vj3HU9KnKaZjVG6pWOv9nDrno4gqxXdt8eC9wO48NZujuxbN71dKzl