1 ... 4322 4323 4324 4325 4326 ... 4665
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/5/21 6:29 a.m.

Santa Rosa, CA 1970.  The first salesman of Hondas in the USA was 16 year old Rita Manly.

Her parents had been selling Honda motorcycles for 8 years, and were selling so many that they won a trip to Honda in Japan, saw the new N360s, and wanted to start a Honda dealership. 

So, they got the 1st dealership, and their daughter was the first salesman to wait in a dealership to sell the first Honda car in the USA.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/21 8:48 a.m.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/5/21 4:00 p.m.

The only fitting name for a pleasure boat purchased during this time.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/6/21 6:52 a.m.

Ever land at LaGuardia?  You think it's a water landing!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/6/21 6:53 a.m.

Ah, springtime in Michigan.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/6/21 8:59 a.m.
914Driver said:

Ah, springtime in Michigan.

Can confirm true as a native to the state.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/6/21 9:52 a.m.
914Driver said:

You'd get a kick out of hearing stories of Concorde crews and the insane noise abatement flight path they had to follow coming out of and into JFK. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/7/21 7:12 a.m.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
5/7/21 8:08 a.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/21 8:53 a.m.
914Driver said:

I know it's the photo thread, but forgive me if I share a story.

We flew from Ft Lauderdale to Newark to see one of our horses race at the Meadowlands. We were going to fly back after the race, got snowed in and stuck on Long Island at the boss's house for two days.

We were on the second flight out of La Guardia when it reopened. They deiced the plane continuously for hours, switching from one wing to the other, then back again. I noticed that every time they switched wings that the other one would ice up really rapidly, so we were going to have at least an inch of ice on one of the wings.

Then the pilot announced that another flight had made it out, "...so I guess we will too." Not real confidence inspiring.

There were about 10 passengers in the entire plane, so it was nearly empty. With no weight in the plane it had no shock compression as it slammed over the bumps on the runway.

As soon as we left the ground, the pilot accelerated into a hard turn, and the entire plane started shaking violently. The wingtips were pounding up and down, and the seats and overhead compartments seemed to be in danger of coming loose. The flight attendant was white as a ghost. As I looked at her, she took another yank on her seatbelt and crossed herself.

As we turned, I got a real good look at that grey, choppy, 33 degree water in the Sound. I decided that it would be pointless to survive the impact if we went down. 

I don't know what the tailwind was, but we took off 2 1/2 hours late and got into Fort Lauderdale early.

All for a job that I hated, and a boss whose sole purpose in life was to make everyone around him miserable.

But hey, I'm still here, having fun, have a wife that I love and two great kids, and he's dead! All's well that ends well!

A nice fox body I encountered outside the parts store the other day. Five lug conversion with rear discs. Just missed the chance to talk to the owner. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/7/21 10:03 a.m.

No wonder I despise Mercedes.  Yes, this is 10 years old and a concept vehicle, although the "concept" is clearly "selling out just as hard and fast as we possibly can".  That doesn't redeem anything.

I give you the single stupidest vehicle ever built, the 2011 Mercedes UNIMOG concept:

Mercedes Unimog Design Concept revealed - poison dart frogs rejoice

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/7/21 11:03 a.m.

And now, for something completely cooler:

May be an image of airplane and outdoors

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/21 11:39 a.m.
Duke said:

I'd upvote your opinion on the Mercedes concept, except I wouldn't want it to look like I like that abomination.  It makes me wonder if they hired a 12-year-old for the design department.

I was hitching a horse at Roosevelt raceway (Westbury, Long Island, closed for decades now), when I looked up to see a Concord on approach. Very cool. 

Merlin assembly line. Picture related, in a wild 20th-century explosion of technology way.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/7/21 2:31 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/7/21 2:32 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/21 3:05 p.m.
914Driver said:

NYC people love to hate LaGuardia, but the building exteriors are so interesting and have such beautiful details

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/7/21 3:27 p.m.
Duke said:

C-141s don't get the love. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
5/7/21 8:30 p.m.

Another "Hog Heritage Scheme".  I like this one too:

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)