1 ... 4537 4538 4539 4540 4541 ... 4640
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/23 6:09 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
johndej said:

What's the biggest one you've never heard of? For me it's hunt brothers pizza-  How do you miss 10k locations!?!

Never heard of Hunt Brothers.

However, Mr. Hero isn't even on the list, and there is like one on every corner here laugh

 

(Mr. Hero - when you absolutely, positively need to turn your blood into a thick fatty gel, and fast.  I don't think they exist outside of Cleveland/Akron/Canton)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/17/23 6:44 p.m.

I Canadian, and I've heard of Hunt Brothers.  Never have I seen one.

Only reason I've heard of Jimmie Johns is because they sponsor Kevin Harvick. Culvers I ran into on a trip to Wisconsin.  They seemed to be everywhere.

Jersey Mike, Auntie Anns, never heard.

Nice to see good old Canadian Timmy Ho's on the list.

DonnonGT
DonnonGT New Reader
5/18/23 12:20 a.m.
pkingham (Forum Supporter) said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

What's the biggest one you've never heard of? For me it's hunt brothers pizza-  How do you miss 10k locations!?!

Truck stops, I think.  A Marathon station catering to trucks opened up some gas pumps so we stopped there for gas, and they had that sign out front.  We tried the pizza once.  It seemed like frozen pizza, no better than grocery store frozen pizza.

The one truck stop food franchise I like to stop at is the Iron Skillet restaurants in Petro stations. It's not world class, but it is pretty good food for a truck stop. I especially like their breakfasts.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/18/23 7:10 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/18/23 7:29 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

We had two squarebacks in HS driver ed.  Lot peppier than a bug.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/23 8:09 a.m.
DonnonGT said:
pkingham (Forum Supporter) said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

What's the biggest one you've never heard of? For me it's hunt brothers pizza-  How do you miss 10k locations!?!

Truck stops, I think.  A Marathon station catering to trucks opened up some gas pumps so we stopped there for gas, and they had that sign out front.  We tried the pizza once.  It seemed like frozen pizza, no better than grocery store frozen pizza.

The one truck stop food franchise I like to stop at is the Iron Skillet restaurants in Petro stations. It's not world class, but it is pretty good food for a truck stop. I especially like their breakfasts.

When our kids were little, about once a quarter we's go get weekend brunch at Iron Skillet.

 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/18/23 9:13 a.m.
pkingham (Forum Supporter) said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

What's the biggest one you've never heard of? For me it's hunt brothers pizza-  How do you miss 10k locations!?!

Truck stops, I think.  A Marathon station catering to trucks opened up some gas pumps so we stopped there for gas, and they had that sign out front.  We tried the pizza once.  It seemed like frozen pizza, no better than grocery store frozen pizza.

That's correct; I was just reading that Casey's General Store is the third largest pizza seller in the US. Think about that; Pizza Hut, papa John's, dominos, godfathers, papa Murphy's, Marcos etc.. and Midwest gas station pizza is third highest in sales. It is a guilty pleasure though; so much cheese, so much sauce.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/23 9:13 a.m.

Wups, forgot a pic in my last post.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/18/23 9:19 a.m.

Didn't see Quizno's on that list. I guess they're gone in the US too?

Saw one a few days ago and thought, wow, haven't seen one of those in years

solfly
solfly Dork
5/18/23 12:28 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/18/23 12:39 p.m.
Peabody said:

Didn't see Quizno's on that list. I guess they're gone in the US too?

Saw one a few days ago and thought, wow, haven't seen one of those in years

Still around, but pretty much a shambling corpse at this point. Turns out that when your whole schtick is "Subway, but we toast it" and then Subway just goes and gets toasters as well, you lose your whole reason for existence. There was also that hilarious, but really poorly received, ad campaign that didn't do them any favors.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/23 1:26 p.m.

Subway is awful, and I'm not sure how anybody can even eat there.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/23 1:37 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Subway is awful, and I'm not sure how anybody can even eat there.
 

Subway is very location- and employee-specific.  The last time I went there on a regular basis, I went to the one ten minutes up the road and not the one across the street, because the one across the street sucks.  Then Cindy left and her replacement sucked, so I stopped going.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/18/23 1:49 p.m.

I heard Subway cannot legally call their bread "bread" in Europe because it contains too much sugar.

This guy says they are great (and DON'T ask him what's over his lips):

Subway Jared Investigated For Child Pornography | Betches

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/23 4:02 p.m.
aircooled said:

I heard Subway cannot legally call their bread "bread" in Europe because it contains too much sugar.

I very, very strongly doubt that is true.

 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/18/23 4:05 p.m.
Duke said:
aircooled said:

I heard Subway cannot legally call their bread "bread" in Europe because it contains too much sugar.

I very, very strongly doubt that is true.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/national/uk-today/19927772.subway-bread-classed-cake-due-sugar-content-amid-channel-5-documentary/

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/18/23 6:40 p.m.

Gary
Gary UberDork
5/18/23 7:47 p.m.

RIP Giotto Bizzarrini June 6, 1926 - May 13, 1923. A pretty good run.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/23 7:55 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Well, the link doesn't work for me, but judging from the text URL, I stand corrected.

 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
5/18/23 7:55 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Same car, a few years earlier, also at Weatherly Hillclimb. Tom Davenhall driver, I took this pic in October 1970.

Gary
Gary UberDork
5/18/23 8:06 p.m.


 


 

 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/18/23 8:07 p.m.
Gary said:

RIP Giotto Bizzarrini June 6, 1926 - May 13, 1923. A pretty good run.

I'm guessing 2023...

Gary
Gary UberDork
5/18/23 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Yes indeed ... 2023! Thanks for correcting.

DonnonGT
DonnonGT New Reader
5/18/23 8:56 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Gary said:

RIP Giotto Bizzarrini June 6, 1926 - May 13, 1923. A pretty good run.

I'm guessing 2023...

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/19/23 7:28 a.m.

This nugget was buried in an amazing build thread, and wanted to share:

1 ... 4537 4538 4539 4540 4541 ... 4640

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
ACsCixmTkYIV9jY3LfnFBclxMIGykiq5eTw7K4olevmkJR1ez1yvX9L9XVrk7g2H