1 2 3 4 ... 8
slopecarver
slopecarver New Reader
3/20/12 8:46 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote:
slopecarver wrote: Take one chicken breast, cook in a boring manner (I will either cook it in a pan with lid with some water for added heat transfer or Sous-Vide) Add sliced chicken breast to already cookedKnorrs chicken rice side mix, let cool to non-scalding temperatures and enjoy! If you are feeling fat and sassy cook up half a pack of bacon, chop into little bits and add to a whole box of velveta shells and cheese.
Did you say four pounds of bacon?With Velveeta? bad eyes and wishful thinking

If you want to read it like that I'm not stopping you. I would add that I meant 4 pounds of cooked bacon, not 4 pounds of bacon before cooking. I really meant 6-8oz of bacon depending on whether you buy the 12oz or 16oz packs of bacon. This will yield you like 3oz of usable chopped bacon, which is quite a bit more bacon than you'd get with the "bacon" shells and cheese you can buy in a box (with bacon).

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/12 12:10 p.m.

I can't wait to try some of these! Here's another popular one at my house:

Country Style Steak with Gravy & Taters

Cube Steaks
Olive Oil
Unsalted Butter
Dry Sherry
Red Wine
Beef Broth - 1 can
Chicken Broth - 1/2 can
Worcestershire
Dash of sugar
Flour
Instant Mashed Potatoes

Unwrap steaks and sprinkle with salt, pepper and coat with flour on both sides. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil and one pat of butter for each steak. Place steaks in pan. When juices start to run out of the steaks use a spatula to flip them over. Some breading will stick to the pan and that is perfect, you want some browned stuff in the pan to make gravy from. When the juices no longer run red and the steaks are done remove them from the pan to warm plates in the oven (170°). Let the browned bits in the pan brown just a little longer, but not so long that they get blackened.

Use a little bit of dry sherry and red wine to deglaze the pan. Loosen the stuck on parts with the edge of your spatula. As the wine starts to evaporate, add some of the beef broth. You want to add the broth in stages, so that you don't cool the pan down too rapidly. Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the Worcestershire (about a tablespoon) and the dash of sugar. Keep adding broth as it starts to reduce. If you like a lighter gravy, add some Chicken Broth also. ( I will freeze chicken broth in ice cube trays so that I can add just a little bit to stuff without wasting a whole can).

This will smell really good and it is hard to let it simmer, but it should go for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Go ahead and start your instant mashed taters. When the taters are done it's time to thicken the gravy. Use the flour I recommended in the first post to prevent lumpiness, or just press the lumps flat with the spatula. It's a fairly lumpy gravy with the beef/breading bits in there anyway. Add small amounts of flour to the pan at a time and stir to combine, keeping the heat at at least medium. Once it is thickened to your preference, pour it over the steak and taters and serve.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
3/22/12 1:29 p.m.
You can also add a nice thick layer of peanut butter if there are no kids in the immediate area, as PB is apparently lethal to anyone under 10

BS...My kids would have starved from age 2+ if this was the case

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/12 8:18 p.m.

Alright, this is the super secret pound cake methodology. It is not a recipe, it is a discipline of the mind.

POUND CAKE!!!!111!!

2 sticks of butter (or three sticks of butter if you omit the margarine below)

1 stick of margarine

8 ounces of cream cheese

3 cups of sugar

1 tablespoon of vanilla extract

6 large eggs

3 cups of sifted cake flour

a dash of salt

Combine everything together. I melt the butter first, then add the cream cheese and the rest of the wet ingredients until blended well. Then start adding the flour. Mix it until everything is combined and then mix it for about another 3 seconds. You can make it too chewy if you mix it too much, but that is on you. OK? Done? Good.

Now, take this and pour it into 2 greased, standard sized bread loaf pans. Bake it at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 90 minutes OR until it is done. The ends will get kind of crispy, and a probe should come out clean.

Those crispy ends? People will fight over them in my family.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/16/12 10:01 a.m.

resurrecting this thread because I made salsa from scratch for the first time recently.

four roma tomatoes
one small onion
two serrano peppers (for heat)
several yellow and orange sweet peppers (for color and crunch)
half of bunch of fresh cilantro
the juice of one lime
a little chipotle powder (adds some nice smokey overtones)

I chopped them coarsely, tossed them into the food processor, and pulsed it a few times. Easy and yummy. The only thing I'd do differently is to run the cilantro through the food processor first so I could grind it a lot finer than the other ingredients.

Stuff I will probably add when I do it again:
coriander
black beans (added afterwards so complete beans are in in the salsa) frozen corn (added afterwards so complete kernels are in in the salsa)

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/16/12 10:03 a.m.

...Oh, and reposting 914Driver's roast corn recipe from this thread

914Driver wrote: I know, this ain't a cooking show, but this grilled corn is excellent! 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon honey 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon onion powder 8 ears of corn, husked Ancho chile powder is available in the spice section of many supermarkets and at Latin markets. (use regular clile powder if you'd like) Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small skillet over medium-low heat. Add chile powder and cumin; stir 10 seconds. Transfer to medium bowl; stir in honey and cool. Add oregano, coarse salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, and 6 tablespoons butter to butter mixture. Mix until smooth. Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill corn until charred in spots, turning often, about 13 minutes. Transfer corn to platter. Serve with honey-ancho butter.
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/16/12 10:25 a.m.

For BBQ, there are prior threads with decent looking recipes for both rubs and sauces

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
4/16/12 12:56 p.m.

My favorite recipe to make is jambalaya, and coincidentally, it contains smoked paprika as well...I think smoked paprika is the new bacon:

-Oil to fry in -1 lb. andouille or some sort of smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" thick pieces -A red bell pepper, diced -A yellow onion, diced -3 or 4 stalks of celery, cut up -A bay leaf -Two chicken breast halves, cut up -Some of each of the following: salt, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper, SMOKED paprika -Two garlic cloves, minced -A jalapeno, diced -1/2 cup tomato puree -3 cups low-sodium (or better yet, homemade) chicken broth -1 1/2 cups basmati rice -Some green onions, cut up

1. In a large pot or a cast iron dutch oven, fry sausage in oil until it blackens a bit on the outside, then add pepper, onion, celery, and bay leaf. Cook until onion is translucent and everything is sizzling loudly.
  2. Add chicken, all the spices, garlic, and the jalapeno. Cook for a few minutes, then add tomato puree and broth, and bring to a boil.
  3. Stir in the rice, and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes, or until most liquid is absorbed by the rice. Be sure to stir often, because the rice sinks and will cook to the bottom of your pan very easily. Stir in green onions.

Serve with cornbread. Mmmmmmm I need to make that sometime this week now.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/12 3:04 p.m.

Now you've done it.

German Currywurst Recipe

Here's the link. Ingredients

3 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 pound kielbasa
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pinch paprika
Curry powder to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to Broil/Grill.
Pour tomato sauce into a large saucepan, then stir in the chili sauce, onion salt, sugar and pepper. Let simmer over medium heat, occasionally stirring; bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer another 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, broil/grill kielbasa sausage for 3 to 4 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Slice into pieces 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick.
Pour tomato sauce mixture over sausage, then sprinkle all with paprika and curry powder and serve.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
4/16/12 3:39 p.m.

Savory: Bacon and Egg Toast Cups

Ingredients: 6 slices of bacon, uncooked or precooked 6 slices of whole grain bread 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican-style cheese 6 eggs Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Preheat the oven to 400° F. Generously spray muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a frying pan, cook bacon about 3-5 minutes, until partially cooked but not completely crispy. You want it to still be flexible. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Cut circles (about 3 1/2 inches) in each piece of bread using a drinking glass turned upside down.

Press the bread rounds into the greased muffin wells. Curl a piece of bacon around the periphery of each piece of bread, positioning it between the bread and the muffin tin to help keep it in position. This can be a little tricky until you get the hang of it. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese in the center of each piece of bread. Crack one egg over each piece of bread being careful not to break the yolks. If you don’t want to use all of the egg white, you may need to adjust the cooking time.

Once all the bread pieces have been topped with eggs, bake until eggs are cooked through to your liking (about 15 minutes for me) and bacon is crispy. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin well and pop the egg cups out. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/16/12 11:40 p.m.

I just finished a bowl of French Onion Soup that began life as Alton Brown's recipe with a few tweaks.

First, forget about chicken broth. Use equal parts beef stock or consommee (preferrebly stock) to equal parts apple cider.

Caramelize your onions beforehand like he advises, but I eschew Vidalias as they lose all their onion flavor in favor of sweet when they get cooked. Liberal salt and black pepper and butter is your friends while the inions turn a caramel brown.

Once they're doen, I remove them to the main soup pot with the stock and juice mix and deglaze with whatever wine happens to be nearby. Even red wine vinegar will do in a pinch. Make a nice little reduction of all the tasty bits and squeeze then dump it into the soup.

At various times and to pretty much any component, you may add liberal doses of black pepper. Less liberal doses of salt, and even less liberal doses of liquid aminos.

When it's all together, it'll taste like ass. But here's where the wait comes in . Let it lightly simmer—barely ever a real simmer—for 12-18 hours and it'll just keep getting better after that. A hunk of bread, a fistful of meltin cheese,and you're good to go.

When in doubt, add black pepper or one of those squeeze gel beef flavor enhancers. Trust me

jg

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/16/12 11:43 p.m.

^^

That sounds a lot like mine, only I put a little Brandy in it. If I weren't broke, it would be Cognac. But I'm broke.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/18/12 1:46 p.m.

reposting the fruit salad I mentioned here:

a few table spoons of ice water, better if infused with ginger
one star fruit, coarsely chunked
one crisp pear, cut into thin slices
one handfull of craisins
fresh ginger to taste, may be sliced or grated
honey to taste

put iced water and ginger in bottom of bowl. add fruit. toss. drizzle with honey. toss again.

failboat
failboat Dork
4/20/12 9:29 a.m.
I Am Keyser Söze wrote: See, even BBQ is better with PIE!

Ah. 2 Pillsbury biscuts rolled out flat (overlap them in the middle), fill with pre-cooked filling of your choice on one half, fold closed, press down around the edges with a fork to seal, poke a few small holes on top and throw in the oven and bake per pillsbury's directions. So easy, quite tasty. We just call them home made hot pockets. Possibilites are endless. Weve done seasoned ground turkey, taco meat + other fixins.....you get the idea.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/20/12 9:37 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: ...I think smoked paprika is the new bacon:

Based off the learnings of this board and Margie, I picked up some smoked paprika.
Not sure what I would do with it, I figured what I had in the house...
In a ziplock bag, I placed 5 boneless pork chops.
added some olive oil and smoked paprika.
tossed and turned the bag so as to coat the porkchops in red paprika.
after hours of sitting in refidge, I placed on grill.
Damn near was bacon - good!

e_pie
e_pie Reader
4/24/12 2:07 p.m.

Cheap pizza:

Tortillas

Sauce

Cheese

Whatever toppings and spices you might want to add, I like adding oregano and crushed red pepper

Bake for 12 minutes at 425

Comes out like a thin crust pizza, I like them a lot better than the bland frozen pizzas from the store.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/12 2:16 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Duke, I tried that! Great! I remembered the temp as 450, not 400 so it was a tad crunchy, but next time.....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/12 2:19 p.m.

Tourtiere Canadian Meat Pie

My wife's family has this on Christmas Eve.

Yield: 1 meat pie, about 10 servings

■2 pounds ground pork ■1 medium onion, finely chopped ■1 teaspoon salt ■2 cups water ■1 teaspoon cinnamon ■1 teaspoon ground cloves (or more to taste) ■3 cups mashed potatoes ■Penny's Piecrust ■1 tablespoon milk Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine pork, onion, salt, and water. Simmer gently, stirring often, until all liquid evaporates, about 4 hours. Stir in spices. Add potatoes and beat well to combine thoroughly. Line a pie plate with one crust. Spoon in pork/potato mixture. Add top crust and flute the edges. Brush the top with milk and prick with a fork. Bake 30 minutes.

Penny's Piecrust ■4 cups flour, plus extra for work surface ■2 teaspoons salt ■1-3/4 cups shortening ■1 large egg, lightly beaten ■1 tablespoon vinegar ■1/2 cup ice water In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut shortening in, until pieces are about the size of a pea. Add egg, vinegar, and ice water. Work mixture into a soft, cohesive dough ball. Divide in half, and put one half aside for another pie (or freeze). Cut other dough mass in half. On a work surface dusted with flour, roll out bottom and top crusts. Yield: 2 two-crust pies

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/12 2:23 p.m.

Scotch Egg

Had these in an Irish Pub

One hard boiled egg wrapped in breakfast sausage, looks like a meat ball.

Pan fry until brown all over.

Pour a pint to wash it down.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/26/12 2:15 p.m.

Sorry ECMojo, but summer's coming....

Make or buy a pie crust.

In a bowl mix:

1 pint of fresh strawberries, sliced

1 pint of blueberries, washed

1 can of thick cherry pie filling.

Pour it into the crust and chill.

Dollop each serving with fresh whipped cream.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
4/29/12 5:05 p.m.

Mediterranean Waffle Fry Nachos

1 lb of ground beef/lamb/turkey
1 bag of waffle fries
1 large clove of garlic
salt
pepper
feta
oil and vinegar dressing
pasta spices (oregano, basil, thyme) rosemary

(I feel like this is almost too simple for directions...)

1. Preheat the oil for the waffle fries. Follow the directions on the bag. Add salt when it is just out of the fryer/pan. In the meantime:
  2. Crush/mince the garlic clove.
  3. Sautee the garlic clove in a little bit of oil
  4. Add the ground meat with the salt and pepper
  5. Brown the meat.
  6. Once the meat is nearly done, add the rest of the spices to taste.
  7. Serve with a bed of waffle fries, with the meat, feta and dressing on top.
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/27/12 12:55 p.m.

My sister's mango tree has a bumper crop, so she gave me a few bags yesterday. There's nothing particularly creative about this, but I had forgotten how good it is:

mango smoothy

one peeled mango
one large scoop of vanilla ice cream
a splash of pineapple juice
a splash of orange juice
a splash of fresca

toss the ingredients in a food processor. pulse it a few times. drink.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/28/12 7:58 a.m.

Home made hummus.

can garbanzo beans

EVOO

Garlic

Whatever you feel like.

drain beans, pour all ingredients in food processor or blender, mix/blend/whatever.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance HalfDork
5/28/12 10:04 a.m.
slefain wrote: Single man survival food. - 1 can roast beef in gravy - 1 box instant mashed potatoes - 2 pieces of sliced sandwich bread - 2 tall boy beers of your choice. Open the beer, take a few swigs. Take the can of roast beet and dump it in a small sauce pot. Add about 1 can of water. Heat on low to a simmer to create gravy. Take a few swigs of beer. Make the instant mashed potatoes following the instruction on the box for one serving. Take a few swigs of beer. Toast the bread. Finish the beer. Take the toast, put it on a plate. Cover the toast with the mashed potatoes. Cover that with the roast beef and gravy. Open the other beer. Dig in. I lived off that for years and never got tired of it. Little salt, little pepper, and all good.

I could eat that for the rest of my life. I am gonna try that tonight!

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
5/28/12 8:20 p.m.

Girlfriend made Rolo cupcakes last weekend. I've got a ton of tasty dishes. She does deserts like few can.

http://cupcakeswithsprinkles.blogspot.com/2012/03/rolo-cupcakes.html?spref=fb

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OK8hKA5hFGEitOAcuUWFdUlQawSxjKJUjUITzbLjDqAooLuILupqgLeGRUbhS1wa