1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/9/12 1:38 p.m.

It's getting to be the season for Roast and Rice and Gravy! Yum!

The trick to making a perfect roast is that you cook it at a really high heat for a really short time, and then let it sit in the hot oven. I use a stainless covered roaster, but a stoneware roaster will work too, just needs a lid and to be oven safe.

Preheat the oven to 500° and set the rack to the second from the lowest position.

I start by thoroughly oiling the inside of the roaster with veg or light olive oil. Just pour the oil in and tilt the pan all around to distribute the oil up the sides of the pan bottom, use a paper towel to coat the inside of the lid for easy cleanup. Set a rack inside the roaster so that the meat is not resting directly on the bottom. Coat the roast (I like to use Eye of the Round for this) with oil and season with salt and pepper, and place on the rack. Cover with the lid. Place in the preheated oven and cut the temp back to 475°. Cook for 7 minutes per pound. (For a 2lb roast you will cook it for 14 minutes) Then, when the time is up cut the stove off but leave the roast in the hot oven for 30 minutes per pound. Don't open the oven door at all during this time.

When the roast is done and resting start cooking the rice, that will take about 20 minutes. Let the roast rest for at least 10 minutes before carving, carve on a cutting board that has a well around the edge for catching juices and add these juices to the pan juices that collected in the roasting pan. Place carved slices on a warm plate in the oven and crack the door.

For the gravy you will start by making a roux. While that sounds fancy it is really just melted butter with flour stirred into it. I use 1 1/2 sticks of butter, melt it over medium-low heat and then stir in a few tablespoons of flour to thicken. Stir and keep an eye on it until it starts to brown slightly, then add the pan juices. If your roast did not make a lot of juices you can also add beef broth at this point to expand the gravy. I will add a whole bunch of fresh cracked pepper, a little salt and just a dash of Worcestershire too. Crank the heat up to medium and stir constantly, add a little more flour if needed to thicken.

The roast will be done but a bright pink in the center and very tender. Absolutely hits the spot on a cold night and as a bonus the whole house smells delicious.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/12 1:49 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

And now I'm starving.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/13/12 5:59 p.m.

Ghetto-yoza

Ingredients (feeds about 4)
24 oz of broccoli slaw
1 lb of ground sausage
10 oz bottle of spring roll dipping sauce (more if you want to dip)
package of uncooked egg roll sheets

Directions
1. Use 2 skillets 2. crumble and brown the ground sausage in skillet #1.
3. Mix the broccoli slaw and spring roll dipping sauce in skillet #2
4. Cook the broccoli slaw/sauce combo for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Mix the browned ground sausage and broccoli slaw/sauce in a mixing bowl.
6. Spoon roughly 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture onto each egg roll sheet.
7. roll up the egg roll sheet according to the directions.
8. fill skillet #2 w/ at least 1/4" of oil for pan-fry or 2" for deep(ish) fry.
9. Pan-fry the rolls for 2 minutes on each side on medium heat or ?? for deep frying.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
12/21/12 7:12 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: It's getting to be the season for Roast and Rice and Gravy! Yum! The trick to making a perfect roast is that you cook it at a really high heat for a really short time, and then let it sit in the hot oven. I use a stainless covered roaster, but a stoneware roaster will work too, just needs a lid and to be oven safe. Preheat the oven to 500° and set the rack to the second from the lowest position. I start by thoroughly oiling the inside of the roaster with veg or light olive oil. Just pour the oil in and tilt the pan all around to distribute the oil up the sides of the pan bottom, use a paper towel to coat the inside of the lid for easy cleanup. Set a rack inside the roaster so that the meat is not resting directly on the bottom. Coat the roast (I like to use Eye of the Round for this) with oil and season with salt and pepper, and place on the rack. Cover with the lid. Place in the preheated oven and cut the temp back to 475°. Cook for 7 minutes per pound. (For a 2lb roast you will cook it for 14 minutes) Then, when the time is up cut the stove off but leave the roast in the hot oven for 30 minutes per pound. Don't open the oven door at all during this time. When the roast is done and resting start cooking the rice, that will take about 20 minutes. Let the roast rest for at least 10 minutes before carving, carve on a cutting board that has a well around the edge for catching juices and add these juices to the pan juices that collected in the roasting pan. Place carved slices on a warm plate in the oven and crack the door. For the gravy you will start by making a roux. While that sounds fancy it is really just melted butter with flour stirred into it. I use 1 1/2 sticks of butter, melt it over medium-low heat and then stir in a few tablespoons of flour to thicken. Stir and keep an eye on it until it starts to brown slightly, then add the pan juices. If your roast did not make a lot of juices you can also add beef broth at this point to expand the gravy. I will add a whole bunch of fresh cracked pepper, a little salt and just a dash of Worcestershire too. Crank the heat up to medium and stir constantly, add a little more flour if needed to thicken. The roast will be done but a bright pink in the center and very tender. Absolutely hits the spot on a cold night and as a bonus the whole house smells delicious.

ECM, I'm sure this method would also work for lamb .. but would you recommend any differing temps/times per # ?

EastCoastMojo
12/21/12 9:10 a.m.

I have not made lamb myself, although I do like it a lot. Here is some information from Allrecipes.com

For a lean piece of meat, cook at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for the first 15 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) to continue roasting--the meat will take about 25 minutes per pound to reach medium rare.

Using a hot oven gets leaner cuts of meat nicely browned on the outside before they become overcooked and dry in the middle.

For a fattier piece of meat, roast at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for a longer period of time, allowing the fat to slowly melt and bathe the roast in its own juices. Meat cooked with this method will take about 30 minutes per pound to reach medium rare.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
12/21/12 9:48 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Repost from the chop thread: I have a go-to chop recipe that I believe came from a magazine years ago; works great for "today's" pork. Goes like this... Season 4 medium-thick chops (3/4 inch) with salt, pepper, garlic and whatever herb rub you favor (I like fines herbes with this one). Now, here comes the weird part: Plop 'em down in a non-stick pan coated with spray, fill pan to about 1/3 of the way up the chops with water (no E36 M3) and bring to a big simmer. Simmer, partially covered, until the water is evaporated, mebbe 20-25 minutes. Chops will start to brown/sizzle in the little bit of fat you managed to render with the water; turn up the heat and let 'em go for a couple minutes, then deglaze the pan with a quick few glugs of wine, sherry or vermouth (especially good), finish browning chops in that until it's reduced to a glaze on them. Serve and enjoy. It's unconventional, but it works. Margie

I do something similar. Brown the chops in a non stick pan. I use an electric. After browning on both sides, add 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup. I would normally NEVER eat this stuff, but it works with the chops. Continue to cook them on medium heat until done, adding a little water if needed and a little Worcester sauce as they cook.

Serve the chops with rice, and use the "gravy" on both. It's delicious.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
12/21/12 9:56 a.m.

I call this cheatin' chili.

It's great if you don't have a lot of time. Prep time 10 minutes.

2 cans Heinz chili style beans 1 large can tomatoes, whole, chopped, stewed or whatever you like

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 or more pounds gr beef, or leftover sausage, chicken, turkey or steak

1 or more onions and/or green pepper, or anything else you want like corn. or leftover salsa.

Put the 3 cans of stuff and chili powder in the crock pot. As you're browning the beef, chop up as much onion/peppers as you want. Dump it all in the crock pot. Put on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Leave for work. Come home, enjoy chili.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
12/21/12 10:52 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I have not made lamb myself, although I do like it a lot. Here is some information from Allrecipes.com For a lean piece of meat, cook at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for the first 15 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) to continue roasting--the meat will take about 25 minutes per pound to reach medium rare. Using a hot oven gets leaner cuts of meat nicely browned on the outside before they become overcooked and dry in the middle. For a fattier piece of meat, roast at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for a longer period of time, allowing the fat to slowly melt and bathe the roast in its own juices. Meat cooked with this method will take about 30 minutes per pound to reach medium rare.

that's the exact procedure I've used in the past (though I usually cut it back to about 20 min a pound so it'll come out rare)...

was just looking forward to the "shut off the oven and walk away" of your beef cooking directions

EastCoastMojo
12/21/12 9:18 p.m.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, I have just not tried it myself.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
12/27/12 1:51 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I have not made lamb myself, although I do like it a lot. Here is some information from Allrecipes.com For a lean piece of meat, cook at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for the first 15 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) to continue roasting--the meat will take about 25 minutes per pound to reach medium rare. Using a hot oven gets leaner cuts of meat nicely browned on the outside before they become overcooked and dry in the middle. For a fattier piece of meat, roast at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for a longer period of time, allowing the fat to slowly melt and bathe the roast in its own juices. Meat cooked with this method will take about 30 minutes per pound to reach medium rare.

used this ( the same as we've used in yrs past ) and it turned out just as good as always YUMMMMMMM

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/12 12:48 p.m.

Liver Pudding

This will probably gross some of you out. It looks nasty when preparing it, but it is truly one of my favorite breakfast meats. As a bonus it's probably less fatty than bacon or sausage.

We did a large batch over Christmas for the whole family. Like 70+ pounds of it.

Start with one part pork liver, one part pork skin and one part Boston butt. Load in a pressure cooker with a couple of quarts of water, a large dash of salt and cook for at least 2 hours at 15psi.

You end up with something like this.

Remove meat from pressure cooker and run through a grinder.

You end up with this.

While grinding, using the water in the pressure cooker, cook an equal amount of rice. I didn't take pictures of that part.

After the rice is done, combine the entire mixture and add sausage seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. At this point it's cooked and edible. Then press it into pans and chill. After it is chilled, you can cut it into blocks, wrap and freeze. Since it's already cooked, it lasts in a freezer for a long time.

To eat, slice, fry and serve with grits.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/7/13 1:28 p.m.

Colonel Tommy’s scratch-made Chicago style pan pizza

Stuff:
14-15” cast iron skillet – or whatever size you’ve got
Large skillet
1 qt saucepan
Large mixing bowl
Medium bowl to drain sausage

2.5 cups flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

2 sm cans tomato paste
1 14-15 oz can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp dried Basil leaves
1 Tbsp dried Oregano
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh minced
1-2 tablespoons of sugar

1lb Italian sausage-browned
1 medium onion diced
1 green pepper
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 lb mozzarella cheese – shredded/grated

Sauce:
In 1 quart saucepan – mix in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic/garlic powder and sugar – heat on low – simmer for 30 minutes (get this going while you’re working on the dough).

Dough:
Put yeast in a large bowl – add ¼ cup of warm (100*) water – mix it up, let it stand 10 minutes. Add in 2 cups of flour, the olive oil, salt and sugar, mix it up. Start adding water to the flour mix until you get a sticky ball of dough. Start adding in a little more flour and kneading until you have a fairly smooth ball that doesn’t stick to you. Knead for about 5 minutes. Put a light coating of olive oil on it – let stand in a warm place for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes – dough should be about double in size – pull it out of the bowl, spread it out over a cast iron skillet (14-15” skillet – give it a fresh coating of EVOO). If you like a little crispier crust, pre-bake for 10 minutes 350-400*

Toppings:
Fry the sausage until browned, drain off the grease. Put the sausage aside. Fry onions/mushrooms/green peppers (you could put them in with sausage) – cook until onion goes clear. Once the dough is ready (in the skillet/pre-baked) add sauce, toppings and cheese

Toss in 350-400* oven for 18-20 minutes (till cheese is melted/browned).

Enjoy.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/18/13 6:54 p.m.

Super awesome Taco's:

First, gather together whatever you like on a taco. Get good quesadilla cheese--the kind that comes in what looks like a big hockey puck. We'll get to that later. So, you get your chorizo or steak or whatever. Cook it. Good.

Now, take your tortillas. I prefer corn, but I won't judge you if you use flour. You'll need 2 tortillas per taco. Stay with me here.

Take the cheese, slice it thin, and cover the first tortilla with the cheese slices. Put the other tortilla on it. Put that cheese-tortilla sandwich on a hot pan, melt the cheese (flip it once), and take it out. That will be your tortilla for the taco.

Best taco's. Ever.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
4/4/13 4:25 p.m.

Marie's Homemade chixn pot pie

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/25/13 7:06 a.m.

Here's a thread for truffle fries and truffle chips...
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/truffle-chips/63527/page1/#post1173032

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/25/13 7:13 a.m.

While we're doing housekeeping:

Go-to recipes: what GRMers use frequently
vegetarian recipes: for those who think something other than meat and potatoes exist
asparagus recipes: for those who want their pee to smell
Do you cook: the paleolithic version of this thread
BBQ rubs: already mentioned in this thread, but it warrants re-linking

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/25/13 8:49 a.m.
Author said: 24 servings Ingredients: For the coconut-milk baking sauce 2 cans (27 to 28 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk 1/4 cup sugar 1 cup cilantro stems (about 1 1/2 bunches), well-rinsed and coarsely chopped 2 limes (zest and juice) 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce For the tuna 1/2 cup olive oil 1 jar (4 ounces) Thai red curry paste 6 (6 pounds) yellowfin tuna steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves 1/2 cup chopped scallions (about 2 bunches), both white and light-green parts Directions: For the coconut-milk baking sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine the coconut milk, sugar, cilantro stems, lime zest and juice and fish sauce and process for 30 seconds. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use. For the tuna: Combine the olive oil and Thai curry paste in a small bowl and stir until well combined. Brush both sides of the tuna steaks with the curry mixture and place them on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 15 minutes. To sear the tuna steaks, heat a large cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat until hot. Spray the tuna with nonstick spray oil on both sides. Sear the steaks 2 at a time for 15 seconds on each side. Between batches, wipe the skillet clean with paper towels (be careful; the pan will be very hot). Make sure to allow the pan to get hot again for each batch. Place the seared steaks in a 9-by-13-inch ovenproof baking dish. Cover and refrigerate. To assemble: Let the tuna steaks and the coconut-milk baking sauce sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. Position an oven rack on the lower level and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove the steaks from the baking dish, add the coconut-milk baking sauce and return the tuna to the dish. Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer the tuna steaks to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, placing the slices on a serving platter. Add the chopped cilantro leaves and scallions to the warm coconut-milk baking sauce. Spoon some of the sauce over the sliced tuna and serve the remaining sauce on the side.

The author made this for 24 servings, I cut the ingredients to 1/6th of their listed amounts. Also, the jasmine rice is well worth picking up.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/27/13 10:37 a.m.

So ERMAHFRIGGINGHERD BEST BISCUITS EVAR!!!

Seriously. I may have had the best biscuit of my life this morning. Went to the bakery to pick up maple-bacon doughnuts for my best Canexican's Bday. Figured I'd grab breakfast there too. Everything was in a warmer, but whatever. I asked chick behind the counter what the best biscuit was (I'm a big fan of chicken done right, but 9 times outta 10 they're all wrong - especially if not fresh.)

She gave me kind of a blank stare and an "uuuummmmmmmm." Then the chick next to me in line, who may have been totin' an extra chromosome, but whatever, says "They got them with the sausage and cheese mixed in 'em. They's good."

Sure. Whatever.

Hop in the car, get 5 mins. down the road. Open the foil, and WTF!!! There's no GD meat on this thing! Pissed, I took a bite anyway, as I was running late for work.

HOOOOLEEE CHIT! The sausage and cheese were mixed into the BATTER. Absoberkeleyinglutely fantastic. I can't imagine how good they'll be fresh!

Anyway, I suppose this is the gist, though theirs may have been from scratch. Didn't taste like it, but who knows.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1727,153172-253201,00.html

PS: Best part is: Biscuit was $1.50! Suck it, starbucks!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/27/13 2:24 p.m.

Sperlo's Guacamole:

1 Avacado
1 Lime

Don't use the skin of either, mix and smash.

Enjoy

It's not as hard as it looks. (yes, I know, that's what she said.) Give it a try. You'll like it.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
4/27/13 9:02 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo: This is enhanced by adding chopped bacon.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/13 8:29 a.m.

Even chopped bacon is enhanced by adding chopped bacon.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/28/13 2:27 p.m.

garlic recipes
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hjupiter/19-unique-garlic-recipes-96yn

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
5/5/13 9:14 p.m.

the pretty close to authentic red beans and rice.

First is the trinity. I mix it up a little and use red bell and sweet onion instead of the standard white onion and green bell.

2 cups diced vidalia onion

2 cups diced red sweet bell pepper

2 cups chopped celery

You'll also need

3 cans red beans

1 13.5oz package of andouille sausage (Johnsonville is what I used, you can sub smoked sausage if you can't find it)

2 cups rice

1 package diced ham (small one not sure of the size)

Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning and more spice seasoning (has less sodium)

Paprika

Saute the trinity in bacon drippings (everybody saves those right?), lightly season with more spice seasoning a couple of times during this process. Slice sausage into ~1/4" slices. Put diced ham (this is your tasso substitute) into a bowl, season liberally with paprika (enough to coat the ham) set this aside. Add sausage to pan, season with more spice seasoning, cook until lightly brown. Add Ham, season with regular cajun seasoning, cook a few more minutes stir pretty regularly. Add two cans red beans. Drain third can of beans, place in bowl and smush with fork into paste. Add paste to pan. Simmer 15-30 min (the longer the better, just make sure you keep stirring it). Prepare rice (I use a rice cooker). Add prepared rice to pan, stir throughly, leave on low 5-10 min, then serve. Even better is to put it in the fridge and reheat the next night, tastes better after everything melds.

It is extremely filling, easy to let your eyes get bigger than your stomach. You can add come jalapenos to the trinity if you like. Personally I'll hit it with Crystal hot sauce if I'm in the mood for spicy.

Karl La Follette
5/9/13 3:03 p.m.

My carny friends 80 1/2 chixn cooker hello The Mitty 2014

Karl La Follette
5/13/13 10:17 a.m.

Sunday

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ajadOpcbC1GBxB47fXzyLv5N1DdnaEYUoSc03uVXKdSmIzd5tALsBpU1qcb8uEuz